55 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

Meh, It's been the worst episode since Mare Do Well. Basically we are presented 3 horrible friends and 3 pastry chefs with no principles, and above all Pinkie learns a lesson she didn't even deserve, and she doesn't suspect of the only suspicious pony (I mean seriously! That would have saved the lesson, if she suspected of Applejack (wich was the obvious thing) and then she turned out to be innocent (like she was)).

It had some funny bits like the movie bits or Pinkie speaking in ways that reminded me of famous internet phrases (Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - I accidentaly the whole thing - What is this I dont even - What would dolan does?)

Edited by Eenohay

Yey I watched the ep again in hd when it was up on youtube, and I noticed some cool stuff I didn't do the first time I watched it.

This episode was awesome :D So many references! And Pinkie did have a pipe, so I was happy XD

At first, I was surprised that AppleJack was the only one not to eat anything. Then I remembered that her element is the element of honesty, and if she did eat something she'd probably fess up.

I was surprised that Fluttershy did such a thing :o Maybe she isn't so shy and innocent after all....

How did Fluttershy get the conductor's hat? She doesn't really seem the type to just steal it, and I think you could see it on her silhouette when she was running down the train, which if true means it wasn't in the boiler room for her to just find. (Or whatever that room is called. I don't know train terminology.)

She seduced the engineer. Actually, that's my one complaint with the episode. The conductor deals with the rest of the train and the passengers. The engineer runs the engine and stokes the coal into the firebox, or more likely has an assistant to do the hard shoveling.

(Note: I didn't say strokes!)

Aside from a simple misnaming of a job position, I loved the episode! The deerstalker and bowler hats trading back and forth was cute! Like I said in a much earlier post. This is a more recognizable detective meme for the younger viewers to identify. The actual case was, just like I DEDUCED in my original post on the subject. It's a parody of "Murder on the Orient Express"!

Oh, one thing that I loved. Lasers are now canon! Equestria has high energy optics and advanced crystal refining and cutting! Equestria also has advanced crime scene investigative techniques. I LOVED Twilight going around bagging and tagging evidence! As a fan of of detective fiction, I think they did a wonderful job here!

I also got a kick out of Twilight carefully wiping off the bubble pipe before she put it in her mouth! Ew, Pinkie germs!

LOL

• Brohoof 3

How did Fluttershy get the conductor's hat? She doesn't really seem the type to just steal it, and I think you could see it on her silhouette when she was running down the train, which if true means it wasn't in the boiler room for her to just find. (Or whatever that room is called. I don't know train terminology.)

She and the conductor had a sexy fling that night. She took the hat after he fell asleep. She won't call him back. After all, she needs a stallion that can keep up with her stamina.

Okay, I need a shower now.

(edited)

Using ___ my hoof in replacement for ___ my ass is now canon. Let it be known :P

Also, more Celestia=God references, in "Thank Celestia"

EDIT: Did Pinkie Pie.....just.......EAT the fourth wall? :o

Edited by ynomir50
  • Brohoof 2

Pinkie starts making wild accusations as well as references to Sherlock Holmes, Dudley Do Right (seriously?)

That was a reference much MUCH older then Dudley Do Right. As with the cartoon from the 1960's, they were referencing the original silent movie serials where the villain always had a long mustache to twirl, a cape and top-hat. The first known instance of this now classic image was in a silent serial called The Perils of Pauline. Between 1874 and 1910, there were six cases where people actually were murdered by being tied to railroad tracks!

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

Did Pinkie Pie.....just.......EAT the fourth wall? :o

Yes, and it tasted purple.

That was a reference much MUCH older then Dudley Do Right. As with the cartoon from the 1960's, they were referencing the original silent movie serials where the villain always had a long mustache to twirl, a cape and top-hat. The first known instance of this now classic image was in a silent serial called The Perils of Pauline. Between 1874 and 1910, there were six cases where people actually were murdered by being tied to railroad tracks!

Posted Image

Oh, you're right. I should have known that. Well, we can't all be perfect.

I guess she just likes apple pie more.I really wanted a James Bond reference in this show and I got it!This is definitely one of my favorite episodes because like I said before,this show is getting better by the episode wouldn't you agree?

I think a reasonable explanation for AJ not being involved in the crime is that she is honest too a fault. If she were attempting to conceal the truth, it would be evident that something was wrong. She would be likely to break down and admit that she ate part of the cake, and then reveal the involvement of Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy. In other words, Applejack breaks the "mystery" by being incapable of outright telling a lie. While she is capable of being economical with the truth, such as in "The Last Round Up", she is otherwise extremely forthright.

Onto the episode...

I enjoyed the episode a good deal. Pinkie episodes are almost always fun. I will admit, however, that Pinkie wasn't quite on her A-game, so to speak. Her vivid imagination, chalk-filled with all sorts of movie references, was fantastic. Classic silent films? James Bond? Over-the-top ninja flicks? How can you not enjoy those imaginings? Twilight played a fantastic straight-pony, bluntly pointing out Pinkie's mistakes and wrapping up the loose ends quite nicely. Unfortunately, during that time Pinkie's impact was minimal; she didn't drive the episode so much as act kind of loopy. It may be the constraints of the setting and the fact she was out of her element. Pinkie seems to operate better when she can move about and interact with characters using an array of devices. On the train, though, she could only do so much.

A friend of mine, having watched the episode with me, wondered allowed if this episode was a belated apology for "Feeling Pinkie Keen." In that episode, Pinkie's intuition and "Pinkie Sense" stumped all conventional methods of scientific observation, and Twilight effectively threw up her hooves at the end of the episode and ditched Occam's razor. With "MMMystery on the Ponyville Express", Pinkie's intuition completely fails her; attempting to cartoonishly solve the problem sputters out of the gate. The case is only solved with Twilight's keen observations, rational deductions, and solid methodology for handling the evidence. In essence, the shoe was on the other hoof. Twilight gets the last laugh.

Where would I rate this episode? Above average. "Ponyville Confidential" and "Hurricane Fluttershy" were superior, although I'll take this episode as the "weak link" any day of the week. After a short period of weaker episodes and neglect of the Mane Six, we have finally been provided material which covers all of them being involved in the same story.

Now we wait and see for the season finale.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I love how the episode ended like an '80s cartoon would: A joke, all the characters laughing and one of the characters doing something crazy before the screen goes black.

I loved the references. While it wasn't the best episode ever for reasons previously stated in this thread that I kinda agree with, it's still a good episode. Especially the bubble pipe. For some reason I cracked up at it.

Ninjas, lasers, and train-caused death (well it was implied) are now canon. Liked seeing more characters that weren't ponies, since for the longest time, nearly every character was a pony.

Edited by King K. Roop
  • Brohoof 4

Hmmm....I quite liked this episode. One thing that surprised me was that rainbow dash ate the cake; I mean she is the element of loyalty right? And that’s not very loyal.

But overall a good episode, loved some of the references, well done Hasbro!

• Brohoof 1

This was a really fun episode. I was not expecting so many references, and yet...we got them.

From Pinkie's imaginary cake scenarios to the way she and Twilight interacted with each other, I was entertained the entire episode. I also got a kick out of Rarity when she seems to care more about everypony finding out she wears false eyelashes then she does about them realizing that she ate some of the cake. And then, there's good 'ole Pony Joe...nice to see him again!

The last few episodes have all been very strong. Here's to the last two being just as strong!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A friend of mine, having watched the episode with me, wondered allowed if this episode was a belated apology for "Feeling Pinkie Keen." In that episode, Pinkie's intuition and "Pinkie Sense" stumped all conventional methods of scientific observation, and Twilight effectively threw up her hooves at the end of the episode and ditched Occam's razor. With "MMMystery on the Ponyville Express", Pinkie's intuition completely fails her; attempting to cartoonishly solve the problem sputters out of the gate. The case is only solved with Twilight's keen observations, rational deductions, and solid methodology for handling the evidence. In essence, the shoe was on the other hoof. Twilight gets the last laugh.

I have to say. I hadn't really thought of that. However, now that I read it, it actually makes a great deal of sense.

If this episode was an apology for Feeling Pinkie Keen, then I have to say... Apology accepted. Feeling Pinkie Keen was not one of my favorite episodes. I like Pinkie, but the triumph of randomness over logic in that episode kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

It does seem that "MMMystery on the Ponyville Express" had one positive side effect though. Pinkie has now learned the benefits of careful analysis of evidence. (It was in a letter to Celestia, so it must be a legitimate lesson learned.) I will be very satisfied if the writer's throw us a bone in the form of a future episode where Pinkie gets to showcase her own powers of deduction.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Hmmm....I quite liked this episode. One thing that surprised me was that rainbow dash ate the cake; I mean she is the element of loyalty right? And that’s not very loyal.

Well, loyalty and honesty don't necessarily overlap. Likewise, Rarity is the Element of Generosity; Fluttershy, the Element of Kindness. But clearly all three were clearly acting of their own interests. They all did mention that Pinkie essentially sold the deliciousness of the cake so well that they couldn't resist.

Pinkie, you devil woman. Stop using your gypsy magic on us!

I will be very satisfied if the writer's throw us a bone in the form of a future episode where Pinkie gets to showcase her own powers of deduction.

Pinkie and L can sit around eating sweets while figuring out a.) who is Kira and b.) who ate the last piece of cake.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 5

I will be very satisfied if the writer's throw us a bone in the form of a future episode where Pinkie gets to showcase her own powers of deduction.

We already got A Friend in Deed (Oh wait! Yet another inconsistensy with this episode!)

I thought the episode was great fun to watch but I couldn't get past the fact that PP's friends destroyed the cake I didn't think Fluttershy or Rarity would do such a thing and it disappoints me that this is now canon, from an enjoyment standpoint though the episode was great, I just wish they didn't have to write the character so out of character (at least in my opinion)...also AJ totally should have been guilty I thought I had it figured out in this scene where everyone else looks worried and she looks guilty.

post-2948-0-29700700-1333890445_thumb.png

Actually after a second look Twilight is making almost the same face...well, there goes my theory.