Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Got a Favorite Christian Hymn(s)?

Jonny Music

I'm very well aware that there are Christian Bronies on the forums (including myself). And I've never seen anyone post this topic yet, so I've decided to give this a shot. :squee:

We all know the most well known Hymns included Amazing Grace, Great Is Thy Faithfulness, etc.

However, I'd like everypony to post what your personal favourite hymn is (assuming you are a Christian. If not, you're more than welcome to post on here (please be respectful as you would on other Threads)).

My personal favourite is: It Is Well With My Soul

Here is the best organ version of it I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCoauM-AEWE :( Truly (in my humble opinion) I've been heart-warmingly blessed by listening to it (I always also feel blessed whenever I play this).

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 8

Um... Is this where I can post Renaissance choral music? I really don't see much of a difference, aside from hymns being more recent in origin. But what do I know? I was never much of a church person... lol

My favorite might actually be "With All Our Hearts" or "Salvador Mundi II", both by Tallis as well. However, they are not on Youtube, so...

• Brohoof 3

Um... Is this where I can post Renaissance choral music? I really don't see much of a difference, aside from hymns being more recent in origin. But what do I know? I was never much of a church person... lol

You may. As long as posts like this do not go way off the main topic which is mainly focused on Christian Hymns. :)

• Brohoof 2

Not Christian, but I know good music when I hear it. Always preferred upbeat gospel to straight hymns, but that's just me.

Anywho, does Johnny Cash count as a hymn?

That would count as a Gospel music (which is still Christian related). But this thread is specifically talking about Christian Hymns (Christmas Carols included). Not Gospel songs.

Literally anything out of here. ;)

CM100X-2.jpg

I attend a Reformed Presbyterian church that practices Exclusive Psalmody—i.e. we sing only Psalms in worship, and without any musical accompaniment. It's quite a beautiful thing! :)

I will say, though, as far as favorites go, I'd probably pick Psalm 1A and Psalm 15, simply because I've learned those two by heart.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny
  • Brohoof 2

Sadly I can't think of any particular hymns right off the top of my head. There are three songs that I particularly love and feel that they properly exalt both God and humanity.

Mary Did you Know?

It's such a beautiful piece and I always imagine the angel Gabriel being the one visiting Mary and singing this to her . . . with a choir of angels backup band.  :P

O Come all Ye Faithful

As much as Easter is the true triumph of Christ, this song feels the most uplifting around the holidays. So much that the more well done versions almost always make me crack a smile and shed a tear simultaneously.

The Burning Bush scene and song from The Prince of Egypt

It's funny how you don't realize what impact some movies have on you until you look back at them. For all the people, both atheists and the "fire and brimstone" crowd of Christians, who tell me I apparently worship some fiery Zeus like overlord, I've never seen God as such and it wasn't until years later that I knew why. This scene was the first time I had seen God depicted and it forever codified my impression and envisioning of the Divine. Otherworldly and powerful in ways we can't yet understand, but infinitely gentle and placing His faith in us as much as we do in Him.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a Christian school from 1st-8th grade, and attended church in-school every Tuesday or Wednesday, so I've heard my fair share of hymns.

"Shut De Door" was probably my most favorite. We had a guest pastor that would come in and play his acoustic guitar while we all sang along. I loved it.  :D

"A Mighty Fortress", "Silent Night", "Saints of God", "El Shaddai", "Light a Fire", "O Come O Come Emmanuel" are some of my other favorites.

My Lutheran friends here will likely appreciate my taste here... My pick is "A Mighty Fortress is Our God".

Loved this hymn. I remember it was the first hymn in our school's Lutheran hymn book. 

Mary Did you Know?

Such a beautiful song, along with "O Come All Ye Faithful". :) . For my school's Christmas program, we actually sang a rendition of Mary Did You Know, inspired by this rock version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-b4mYFT1A

• Brohoof 5

I went to a Christian school from 1st-8th grade, and attended church in-school every Tuesday or Wednesday, so I've heard my fair share of hymns.

"Shut De Door" was probably my most favorite. We had a guest pastor that would come in and play his acoustic guitar while we all sang along. I loved it.  :D

"A Mighty Fortress", "Silent Night", "Saints of God", "El Shaddai", "Light a Fire", "O Come O Come Emmanuel" are some of my other favorites.

Loved this hymn. I remember it was the first hymn in our school's Lutheran hymn book. 

Such a beautiful song, along with "O Come All Ye Faithful". :) . For my school's Christmas program, we actually sang a rendition of Mary Did You Know, inspired by this rock version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-b4mYFT1A

It's . . . . .  :(  . . . beautiful.

I am totally all over a rock version of any religious song! Who says the devil horns need to exalt the Prince of Darkness? \m/  ^_^

• Brohoof 2