Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Got a Favorite Christian Hymn(s)?

Jonny Music

I've always been a fan of marches and other military type music, so it's no wonder this is one of my favorite hymns XD

http://youtu.be/QSiVjlknuSw

But this is my actual favorite-

http://youtu.be/PnIYLEXHeFk

It's good to remember that although I may not know where to go or what to do, I have a loving Heavenly Father who is always willing to show me the next step if I swallow my pride and exercise my faith.

And yes I do love me some Mormon Tabernacle Choir

• Brohoof 1

As far as old Hymns, this is my favorite: 

'Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus [i'll explain why I removed that link in my reply]

A newer hymn that I like would be In Christ Alone (can't find a vid at the moment sadly XD). :)

That old hymn is a good one. I too like that one also. That video link you shared doesn't work, so here is a version of that hymn I have in mind (which is a hidden gem imo):

'Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus - Linda McKechnie

And as for In Christ Alone (I like that one also), here's a very good version I found: 

Edited by Jonny Music

I have a vast array of favorite hymns and other songs I've sung over the years in church and during caroling around Christmas.  I seriously just cannot choose a singular favorite.

He Lives; Silent Night, Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow (Doxology); Lord of the Dance; We Three Kings... The list just goes on and on.  I love singing all of these songs and more.

However, I cannot help but to share with all of you a song that became an instant favorite of mine when I first heard it.  It may not be a traditional hymn, per se, but it obviously is a very religious song.  It's one that can be shared amongst many religions, and of course it definitely is a song we Christians can cherish, too.

This is "Little Drummer Boy" as sung by the Pentatonix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MGWio-vc

~ Miles
  • Brohoof 2

That old hymn is a good one. I too like that one also. That video link you shared doesn't work, so here is a version of that hymn I have in mind (which is a hidden gem imo):

'Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus - Linda McKechnie

And as for In Christ Alone (I like that one also), here's a very good version I found: 

Strange...it was working for me. :P

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a Christian, but I still love Christian hymns. It's a long story, but the short version is that I adhere to a more general spirituality. Christianity is a part of that, along with several other religions and philosophies such as but not limited to Buddhism, transcendentalism, spiritualism, and universalism. 

My favorite Christian songs of all time are any Christmas song like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Mary Did You Know, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day, etc. 

Not including Christmas songs, my favorite hymn is Once To Every Man and Nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U21b6h8g7PM

I've loved this song since I was a child. It speaks to me on a deep level about a topic that rests at the core of my life: the spiritual and mental warfare that I go through on a daily basis.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I'm not a Christian, but I still love Christian hymns. It's a long story, but the short version is that I adhere to a more general spirituality. Christianity is a part of that, along with several other religions and philosophies such as but not limited to Buddhism, transcendentalism, spiritualism, and universalism. 

My favorite Christian songs of all time are any Christmas song like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Mary Did You Know, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day, etc. 

Not including Christmas songs, my favorite hymn is Once To Every Man and Nation.

I've loved this song since I was a child. It speaks to me on a deep level about a topic that rests at the core of my life: the spiritual and mental warfare that I go through on a daily basis.

I also love that hymn. Especially that specific key that choir is performing the hymn with (and that's F minor. I know my scales, that's how I knew.). That hymn sounds really epic on an organ imo (organs can be arranged to sound anyway you want it to sound). :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

Not sure if this qualifies as a Hymn or not, but I really really love the Leonard Cohen Hallelujah song, though performed by Jack L. It's just a beautifully sung piece. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think I have a specific one to call as "my favorite", but I do enjoy the more traditional ones, especially Gregorian Chants. There are something about them that I find very calming. I also enjoy listening organ hymns too.

Talking about hymns, I couldn't play or sing to save my life, but in my church I am one of the people who control the screen that shows the lyrics of the hymns. A simple task, but it warms my heart when I see that the people there really appreciate it ^_^

• Brohoof 1