Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible for ponies to NEVER get their cutie marks?

Jonquil Earthpony

well, yes...I would assume so.

Especially if you take into a count that if a filly dies before getting theirs...then it's entirely possible!

However, adult wise? dunno...I guess...I mean, I know people of adult age who are still struggling to figure out what they wanna be.

So I would say most likely.

• Brohoof 3

From what I've seen, it seems that MLP believes in the concept of destiny which is why every pony gets a cutie mark to reflect their talents and personalities.  I think that's even more apparent in the episode Magical Mystery Cure where they all started doing something they weren't good at just because their cutie marks said so.

So, I don't think it's possible for a pony to never get their cutie mark.  It's their destiny to get one.  It wouldn't surprise me to see an episode revolving around the idea of an adult that never got his/hers, but ends up getting at it the end though.

As for the CMCs, I just think they have to get their cutie marks at some point.  It'll either be in some huge episode/movie/event, or it might actually mark the end of the series in the future, but I think they will get them at some point.

• Brohoof 1

I assume infant mortality exists in Equestria. They've shown so far that their medical science/magic isn't perfect after all :wacko:

Those adult ponies who don't have their cutie mark on-screen could be just some animation errors, or a very very late bloomer

• Brohoof 1

I would say it's possible but from what I've seen in the show, getting a cutie mark is glorified and important to the ponies that some devote their time to trying to get one and can't imagine their life without one. Why? Because it symbolizes their destiny and personality.

Also, I've seen ponies get their cutie marks unintentionally. The more older a pony gets and the more a pony knows about itself, then the cutie mark will naturally come. In other words, it looks rare for a grown pony to not have a cutie mark.

• Brohoof 1

How would ponies react if they saw an adult pony with no cutie Mark ? I know some foals are really mean about it ( Diamond Tiara) but how would other ponies react ? Would they be understanding or be judgemental about a pony not having a cutie Mark ?

I have noticed a few adult ponies without cutie marks, usually seen doing really menial tasks. This kind of suggests that there is a definite but unspoken risk that some underachievers will never get cutie marks. This adds dramatic tension to the CMC's situation and the lives of the ponies in general: A danger of total failure. It adds bite to the cutie mark concept.

• Brohoof 1

Those adult ponies who don't have their cutie mark on-screen could be just some animation errors

When some adult ponies without cutie marks were spotted in the crowd in Show Stoppers, the supreme goddess herself commented:

It was just an oversight. Wish I had a more interesting answer for you. Sorry.

I would suggest that unless dialogue explicitly draws attention to an adult pony without a cutie mark, any appearances of such ponies are probably animation errors.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 2

This is totally possible!!! There are 3 steps to getting a cutie mark (in my opinion) 1. Find what you are good at 2.Learn to like what you are good at 3.Tie what you are good at to your personality. If a pony doesn't complete these steps they will not get their cutie mark, even if it is their destiny. The powers of fate and destiny can push a pony all they want, if the pony doesn't listen there's not much destiny and fate will help.

If we wanna talk CMC I think Applebloom is stuck at 2, Scootaloo is having trouble with step 3 and Sweetie Belle is still struggling with the first step.

Edited by Princess Oceangem
  • Brohoof 2

I would suggest that unless dialogue explicitly draws attention to an adult pony without a cutie mark, any appearances of such ponies are probably animation errors.

Maybe it's not the case for Candy Mane... :)

post-2257-0-53397500-1401600838.png

post-2257-0-63659500-1401600837.png

Near Fluttershy:

273674Rainbowtheresnowaythistradecanbefa

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I suppose it could theoretically be possible, but I would imagine it to be highly unlikely that a pony makes it to adulthood without finding a talent worthy of getting their cutie mark.

And I hope the CMC get theirs before the series ends.

• Brohoof 2

Mr. Greenhooves looks very old and he doesn't have a cutie mark... I've seen a couple of other adult ponies (in background) who don't have a cutie mark either, but I guess those are just animation errors.

So yeah, maybe, I guess it's possible for a pony to never get a cutie mark... kinda sad tho. I only hope that the CMC don't go that way.

• Brohoof 1

Mr. Greenhooves looks very old and he doesn't have a cutie mark...

He wears a blanket on his back in every scene he appears in. It obscures his flank. The artist (Ridd Sorensen) who designed him has suggested that if his cutie mark were visible then it would be a blade of wheat.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 1

Out of the CMC I think Applebloom will get her cutie mark last because Appl whack said it was a family tradition to be the last pony in the class to get their cutie mark. That would make for a great episode actually :) Applebloom dealing with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle getting their cutie marks without her. Hope this idea happens in season 5 * fingers crossed* :)

Yeah, it's possible for a pony to never get their cutie mark. I mean, look at the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We're already done with season four and they still haven't gotten their cutie marks. It's had me wondering if they ever will?

Okay, now I'm really curious about this. Since I'm planning on watching all four seasons over again, anyway, I think I'll make it a point to carefully check out all the background ponies and see if any of the adults are missing cutie marks. This could take a while so I'll have to get back to you all on this.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, I don't think it's possible. Everypony has something special about them, and finding it is what causes cutie marks to appear. If they're adult ponies who are blank flanks, they either are lazy ponies who are sitting on the couch, not finding his or her special trait, or it was an animation mistake.

• Brohoof 1

I would assume all ponies get their cutie marks within a certain age range. I don't think it's possible, outside of animation errors, for adult ponies not to have them, but certain ponies may be delayed getting their cutie marks for a very long time if it's convenient for the plot.

• Brohoof 1

I think all ponies will eventually end up getting their cutie marks. The CMC all have very defined talents but they haven't realized them yet, but I'm sure they'll get their cutie marks before the show is over. I do think the pony must realize his talent before the mark the will appear. Even if they have a natural affinity for something, it's the realization that triggers the appearance of the mark. (Twilight's magic, Rainbow Dash's speed, AJ's love for her family etc.)

I think the only exceptions, as mentioned, are foals who die too young to find their talents and I don't think that will ever be brought up in the show. I hope not, anyway, there's no way even this show could spin infant mortality into something good. (And I seriously doubt they'd go the dark comedy route; even I would find that tasteless in this particular case)

• Brohoof 1

Like Princess Oceangem said.  There are steps to getting your cutie mark, tho I'd define them differently

1) You find what you love to do.  (You are not necessarily good at it.  (Those who are old enough may remember Jack Benny playing violin))  2) You admit this to yourself.  IMO, this is where Scootaloo & Sweetie Belle are both hung up (scooters & singing)

There is also the possibility that you never find it.  For instance, if Kobe was around in the Middle Ages, he would never have played basketball.  I think Apple Bloom's might be potion making or alchemy & she has just not had enough experience.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

It could be possible since a cutie mark is somewhat based around a pony’s destiny for example in magical mystery cure each one of the mane 6 started following what their mark was telling them. If an adult pony doesn’t have a cutie mark there are some possibilities such as their cursed,they reject their calling in life/destiny , they could still be trying to find there calling in life, or as many say an animation error.

Well, it's probably safe to assume that any background ponies with no cutie mark are animation errors and are meant to be taken just as seriously as Alicorn cop from Rarity Takes Manehattan, but I do think it's possible.  Princess Cadance and the Spring Heart Garden is an interesting read as it has a Grade 12 pony with no cutie mark in it.  So, yeah, I think it's possible for ponies to not get their cutie mark in their pre-teens.  Either way, the odds are far better of realizing one's destiny early on in Equestria than in real life.  Neoliberalism is about as anti-destiny as world systems come, mind you, so I suppose that's to be expected.

• Brohoof 1

From as far as I'm aware, it is canon that no adult pony has the ability to NOT have a cutie mark. By the time you are of a certain age, it is almost theoretically impossible for them not to have found their place. While humans can say that it took them years to find their place in the world or their special talent, that's just not so in the show, as it does need to move along, and each one needs an explanation. (I know, it makes no sense, but hey, kid show logic, am I right?) Most blank flanks on adults you see I do believe are animation errors, which happen, the creators are only human after all! 

It is also known that cutie marks CANNOT change. Once you have your purpose or special talent, that is what resonates with your heart and soul. And it is unchangable. It's made especially clear in the episodes that explain cutie mark magic, and that it is impossible to hurry one along, or just make one appear. Using this logic, the reverse is true. You cannot change one once you have it. If this was the case, then Tempest Shadows, or even Starlight Glimmers would have changed during their 'villainous' stage, then reverted back upon redemption.