Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you think Spike is a child?

hironakamura

(edited)

Well, the main hint is that they say it multiple times in many episodes. He is not an adult dragon. He's a baby. Just because his mind is developed enough to reason on a teen/preteen level, doesn't mean his body is mature. I'd guess his body is around eight years old, judging by how old Twilight looked when her magic hatched him out. He also exhibits behavior like a young child. He has trouble keeping awake past sunset, and has an over riding fondness for ice cream, taking full advantage when Twilight could not stop him from over-eating.

His character is much like James "Jim" Hawking in the anime "Outlaw Star" and Mamoru Shimesu from "Phantom Quest Corp" both are eleven year old kids who are steady and dependable aids, ready to keep the main adult characters on an even keel with day to day affairs.

For me, I don't deny that he is a baby dragon. But I do not compare him to a baby pony or a child pony like the CMC because he has the mental maturity on par even with the main ponies he hangs out with.

Anyway, another argument against Spike being a child is the amount of manual labor the ponies make him do. If he really is a child then the ponies would be guilty of child abuse or forced child labor.

Since Spike was raised by ponies instead of being a wild dragon, he never learned to act like other dragons. In "Secret of my Excess," Spike learns to hoard by instinct and this causes him to transform into a huge rampaging dragon. He couldn't control it because it was all instinct and couldn't understand what was happening to his body.

So if Spike was never raised by ponies and instead grew up as a normal feral dragon, by this time he would be a very large dragon...

If fondness of ice cream is what you would use to think he is a child, then shouldn't Pinkie also be a child due to her fondness of cake? He has not done anything less mature than Pinkie or RD would do.

His sleepiness could be attributed to getting up early to start early on his chores like in "Over a Barrel"

Spike: [groan] Do you guys mind? I was up early fire-roasting those snacks you're all eating, and I'm pooped!

Rainbow Dash: Uh, speaking of, some of these popcorn kernels didn't get popped.

Spike: Okay, fine...

Rainbow Dash: Ghk...

Spike: Good Night!

Even so, there are episodes where he stays up late like the party in the first episode "Friendship is Magic pt1" or when he stayed out late during his birthday in "Secret of my Excess" and of course when he was researching about dragons with Twilight in "Dragon Quest." Granted his body is smaller and weaker than the ponies because he lives like a pony but in "Secret of my Excess," we saw what his body should have looked like if he lived like a real dragon.

Edited by hironakamura

Well im pretty sure weve verified why hes so childlike in stature, he was raised by ponies and not as he wouldve been as a dragon, weve already seen what his physical prescence should be like when he started hoarding. The question is will he physically age? Without greed is it possible for him to grow...he seems very similar in stature as when he was hacthed.

(edited)

If fondness of ice cream is what you would use to think he is a child, then shouldn't Pinkie also be a child due to her fondness of cake? He has not done anything less mature than Pinkie or RD would do.

His sleepiness could be attributed to getting up early to start early on his chores like in "Over a Barrel"

I repeat. The characters in multiple episodes stated clearly that Spike is a baby dragon. The creators of the show stated he is a baby dragon. The other characters say he's a baby dragon. Spike identifies himself as a baby dragon. Why do we have a thread questioning if he is a baby dragon? We see him hatch from an egg in Sonic Rainboom when Twilight was about eight-ten ears younger then she is now. Spike, is eight-ten years old, tops. Dragons have immense lifespans, capable of taking hundred year long naps. Adult dragons are represented as being gigantically huge. Teenage dragons tower over Spike. Spike does not have wings yet. Fluttershy is afraid of adult dragons, but states clearly she has no fear of Spike, as he is a baby dragon. What part of this confuses you into thinking he isn't a baby dragon?

This whole thread is kind of pointless and stupid.

I'm going to start my "Why Do You Think Twilight is a Pony" thread. It will make just as much sense as this one.

Why do you think Twilight is a pony? The other characters call her a pony, the writers and artists created her as a pony, but I think she isn't a pony. Sounds legit to me!

The very first episode clearly and distinctly states that Spike is a BABY dragon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDjlbHIbEc

one minute and fifty two seconds into the second episode, Twilight says:

"You've been up all night Spike...You are a baby dragon, after all."

While she tucks him in.

(I couldn't find a clip of just that scene.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv2SIgoDX4Q

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I repeat. The characters in multiple episodes stated clearly that Spike is a baby dragon. The creators of the show stated he is a baby dragon. The other characters say he's a baby dragon. Spike identifies himself as a baby dragon. Why do we have a thread questioning if he is a baby dragon?

Posted Image

For me, I don't deny that he is a baby dragon. But I do not compare him to a baby pony or a child pony like the CMC because he has the mental maturity on par even with the main ponies he hangs out with.

I don't deny that he is a baby dragon.

he is a baby dragon.

Well im pretty sure weve verified why hes so childlike in stature, he was raised by ponies and not as he wouldve been as a dragon, weve already seen what his physical prescence should be like when he started hoarding. The question is will he physically age? Without greed is it possible for him to grow...he seems very similar in stature as when he was hacthed.

In "Dragon Quest" Spike has chosen to live like a pony and turned his back at being a dragon. Because a dragon's natural behavior is a part of a dragon's physical maturity, Spike could be 20, 30, 40, 100 years old and his body would still look like that of a child.

Funny thing is, would you still think Spike is a baby dragon if your first impression of him was his "Greedy Rampage Mode" instead of his "Cute Mode" form?

Edited by hironakamura

I repeat. The characters in multiple episodes stated clearly that Spike is a baby dragon. The creators of the show stated he is a baby dragon. The other characters say he's a baby dragon. Spike identifies himself as a baby dragon. Why do we have a thread questioning if he is a baby dragon? We see him hatch from an egg in Sonic Rainboom when Twilight was about eight-ten ears younger then she is now. Spike, is eight-ten years old, tops. Dragons have immense lifespans, capable of taking hundred year long naps. Adult dragons are represented as being gigantically huge. Teenage dragons tower over Spike. Spike does not have wings yet. Fluttershy is afraid of adult dragons, but states clearly she has no fear of Spike, as he is a baby dragon. What part of this confuses you into thinking he isn't a baby dragon?

This whole thread is kind of pointless and stupid.

I'm going to start my "Why Do You Think Twilight is a Pony" thread. It will make just as much sense as this one.

Why do you think Twilight is a pony? The other characters call her a pony, the writers and artists created her as a pony, but I think she isn't a pony. Sounds legit to me!

The very first episode clearly and distinctly states that Spike is a BABY dragon!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WpDjlbHIbEc

one minute and fifty two seconds into the second episode, Twilight says:

"You've been up all night Spike...You are a baby dragon, after all."

While she tucks him in.

(I couldn't find a clip of just that scene.)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nv2SIgoDX4Q

Lol calm down.

We all know he is a baby dragon. If you cared to comprehend what has been said, you'd know that we are saying that even though he's a baby, he acts usually more mature and dependable that the mane 6, not to mention any kid both in the show or in real life. I mean you can see the CMC. It simply doesn't make sense. Remember the teenage dragons, raised by dragons? Older than spike, not mature at all. Remember the CMC, ponies raised by ponies, same age as spike, not nearly as mature. The question is, why is Spike, being just a child, so goddamn mature. He doesn't act like a child, and is constantly underappreciated by the mane 6.

He is a baby dragon, but there's no reason for him to act like he does.

So dragons aren't born with wings,but could grow them later?

Spike isn't the only wingless dragon. He met a dragon with a giant tail that didn't have wings either. It was the one Spike tail wrestled with. I don't mind if Spike grows wings but I might mind if he grows 8 legs like Crackle.

(edited)

Funny thing is, would you still think Spike is a baby dragon if your first impression of him was his "Greedy Rampage Mode" instead of his "Cute Mode" form?

Funny thing. The creators of the show said he's a baby dragon. End of discussion

If you cared to comprehend

Go back and read my first post on the subject, since we're talking about comprehending what people wrote.

Well, the main hint is that they say it multiple times in many episodes. He is not an adult dragon. He's a baby. Just because his mind is developed enough to reason on a teen/preteen level, doesn't mean his body is mature. I'd guess his body is around eight years old, judging by how old Twilight looked when her magic hatched him out. He also exhibits behavior like a young child. He has trouble keeping awake past sunset, and has an over riding fondness for ice cream, taking full advantage when Twilight could not stop him from over-eating.

His character is much like James "Jim" Hawking in the anime "Outlaw Star" and Mamoru Shimesu from "Phantom Quest Corp" both are eleven year old kids who are steady and dependable aids, ready to keep the main adult characters on an even keel with day to day affairs.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

(edited)

Just because his mind is developed enough to reason on a teen/preteen level, doesn't mean his body is mature.

Yeah what about that? Are you even listening to us? WE KNOW HE IS BABY AND THAT HIS BODY ISNT MATURE.

It just doesn't make sense!

Edited by Eenohay

(edited)

Funny thing. The creators of the show said he's a baby dragon. End of discussion

Go back and read my first post on the subject, since we're talking about comprehending what people wrote.

Okay, you seem to be under the impression we're saying he's not a baby dragon. No body in this thread is saying he's not a baby dragon. We're talking about Spike's maturity. Spike's sense of reliability and responsibility is as mature as the six main ponies to a point where they depend (or take advantage) of him. He is also more mentally and emotionally mature than the dragons he met in "Dragon Quest" which were introduced as "teen" dragons allegedly older than him.

Dragons live for a very long time. Thousands of years even because they take hundred year long naps as mentioned in "Dragonshy". Spike could very well still be considered a baby dragon even if his age is already in the double digits or even in triple digits.

Edited by hironakamura

First off, we must understand that pony and dragon anatomy is of a large contrast. To say that Spike is a "baby" dragon would be a rather relative term used to describe perhaps his height or maturity, but we must also understand what "baby dragons" mean to the race of dragons in general. For example, a dragon could be considered a "baby" purely based on his/her physical appearance, e.g no wings or inability to breathe a fixed amount of fire. Seeing as how Spike is raised as a pony, and not a dragon (Dragon Quest heavily implied this) however, the general consensus would be that Spike's maturity level is the equivalent of that of a 12 year-old colt.

Once again, however, dragon and pony ages would sharply contrast over time by these standards. Spike could remain a baby dragon for the next decade and only until then will he start developing into a larger form of dragon (of course, through the onset of growing in size as the decade passes by).

In "Dragon Quest" Spike has chosen to live like a pony and turned his back at being a dragon. Because a dragon's natural behavior is a part of a dragon's physical maturity, Spike could be 20, 30, 40, 100 years old and his body would still look like that of a child.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the level of greed purely dictates his physical growth. If anything, the greed was merely a rather large stimulant in which turned him ugly, so to speak.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah what about that? Are you even listening to us? WE KNOW HE IS BABY AND THAT HIS BODY ISNT MATURE.

It just doesn't make sense!

Okay, you seem to be under the impression we're saying he's not a baby dragon. No body in this thread is saying he's not a baby dragon. We're talking about Spike's maturity. Spike's sense of reliability and responsibility is as mature as the six main ponies to a point where they depend (or take advantage) of him. He is also more mentally and emotionally mature than the dragons he met in "Dragon Quest" which were introduced as "teen" dragons allegedly older than him.

Dragons live for a very long time. Thousands of years even because they take hundred year long naps as mentioned in "Dragonshy". Spike could very well still be considered a baby dragon even if his age is already in the double digits or even in triple digits.

Did you see my rather pointed comparison to two similar characters in Japanese animation? "Outlaw Star" and Phantom Quest Corp" both had child characters with adult responsibilities.

I do have one more thing to say. I love MLP:FIM, but I know it's pretend. Spike has no existence. Nobody is taking advantage of him, because he isn't real. This is part of the reason people think Bronies are weirdos. They treat pretend characters as real, and try to read deep philosophical meanings in them. The creators of the show made Spike a baby dragon with a reasoning mind, BECAUSE LITTLE GIRLS WOULD FIND IT CUTE. It's that simple. There is no deep meaning. It doesn't have to make sense. Long before anyone became the first Bronie, Spike was made a baby dragon and Twilight's friend so little girls would find him adorable.

Did you see my rather pointed comparison to two similar characters in Japanese animation? "Outlaw Star" and Phantom Quest Corp" both had child characters with adult responsibilities.

I do have one more thing to say. I love MLP:FIM, but I know it's pretend. Spike has no existence. Nobody is taking advantage of him, because he isn't real. This is part of the reason people think Bronies are weirdos. They treat pretend characters as real, and try to read deep philosophical meanings in them. The creators of the show made Spike a baby dragon with a reasoning mind, BECAUSE LITTLE GIRLS WOULD FIND IT CUTE. It's that simple. There is no deep meaning. It doesn't have to make sense. Long before anyone became the first Bronie, Spike was made a baby dragon and Twilight's friend so little girls would find him adorable.

You do know that an earlier version of Spike was portrayed as a thousand year old dragon? As old as he was, he was still small bodied. The ponies thought he was really really old but Spike said he was still very young compared to other dragons and wouldn't be considered old until he was a million years old.

Posted Image

Perhaps, since he lived with Twilight his entire life, she had taught him at a very early age. Since Twilight had him sine he hatched, he had to of learned a lot from the pony who does mostly studying. By this time, he had a few years to mature under her care. But that's how I see it.

You do know that an earlier version of Spike was portrayed as a thousand year old dragon? As old as he was, he was still small bodied. The ponies thought he was really really old but Spike said he was still very young compared to other dragons and wouldn't be considered old until he was a million years old.

Posted Image

What's that have to do with G4?

So, since we all actually agree with that Spike technically is a baby dragon, then the question here is really a bit different than the one in the Title.

The real question is "Why is Spike so mature considering that he is just a baby dragon?"

Explanation1: he's raised by ponies, rather than dragons.

May this suffice? Perhaps, since Dragons raised by dragons seems to be rather stupid in comparison, pehaps because they focus on cruelty, strength, size, and bullying, instead of knowledge and understanding.

Dragons of Asian myth represent Wisdom, not evil as in western-christian myth.

So, dragons may have immense potential for being wize and good-natured, and by being raised by Twilight, he has certainly had access to both those things.

.... Unlike the teen dragons in Dragon Quest.

Explanation2: Twilight hatched him, in a burst of unfettered magic, possibly the most powerful magic seen in Canterlot's Magical School at that moment. .... Save for Celestias own.

Could this have affected, somehow mutated, Spike?

Also possible.

• Brohoof 1

So, since we all actually agree with that Spike technically is a baby dragon, then the question here is really a bit different than the one in the Title.

The real question is "Why is Spike so mature considering that he is just a baby dragon?"

Explanation1: he's raised by ponies, rather than dragons.

May this suffice? Perhaps, since Dragons raised by dragons seems to be rather stupid in comparison, pehaps because they focus on cruelty, strength, size, and bullying, instead of knowledge and understanding.

Dragons of Asian myth represent Wisdom, not evil as in western-christian myth.

So, dragons may have immense potential for being wize and good-natured, and by being raised by Twilight, he has certainly had access to both those things.

.... Unlike the teen dragons in Dragon Quest.

Explanation2: Twilight hatched him, in a burst of unfettered magic, possibly the most powerful magic seen in Canterlot's Magical School at that moment. .... Save for Celestias own.

Could this have affected, somehow mutated, Spike?

Also possible.

Explanation3: Earlier in the thread it was also mentioned that dragons in the Eragon books are self aware even if they were still in their eggs.

We don't really know how dragons work in FiM but it seems like the older they get, the stupider/less mature they get. The teen dragons didn't quite strike me as very smart dudes and when Spike grew in SomE, he also got dumber.

I believe that dragons in Fim can grow in 2 different ways:

The greed way: Which makes them hoarders and dumb with only brute strenght and proof for that is the dragon quest episode since those Dragons obviously were raised greedily and the episode that Spike grew cause of his greed

The normal way: That is the way that Spike is growing right now. That make them weak in comparison to the other dragons but way smarter. Also in Dragon quest The teen dagons remarked that he is a pony dragon maybe that the way that dragons grow when they are not greedy and become weak but smart.

• Brohoof 3

Explanation3: Earlier in the thread it was also mentioned that dragons in the Eragon books are self aware even if they were still in their eggs. We don't really know how dragons work in FiM but it seems like the older they get, the stupider/less mature they get. The teen dragons didn't quite strike me as very smart dudes and when Spike grew in SomE, he also got dumber.

Ok, that may be a possibility, but i think it is more like Trixie's Leona's suggestion above.

If they grow by hoarding wealth, they get big and strong fast, but also cruel and stupid.

But, if they grow by hoarding wisdom, ..... they get wiser ...

I'd think that at times, Spike can act more mature than the show speculates he is, but acting like a fourteen year old is as far as his maturity gets. I am not saying immaturity is a bad thing, though, being a child at heart is good. Physically, he is obviously a kid dragon... his mind? Sometimes... sometimes...

Explanation3: Earlier in the thread it was also mentioned that dragons in the Eragon books are self aware even if they were still in their eggs.

We don't really know how dragons work in FiM but it seems like the older they get, the stupider/less mature they get. The teen dragons didn't quite strike me as very smart dudes and when Spike grew in SomE, he also got dumber.

That actually seems pretty solid. A smaill baby dragon seems to be more intelligent than teenage dragons, and those seem to be more intelligent than big dragons, who burst into firebreathing battles without saying a word