Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does Spike coordinate his letters?

chirox the pony

More curiously, what in the world does Celestia do to sent the return letters into Spike's gut?

it's about like how the rabbit got in the hat. Edited by Razpul
  • Brohoof 1

I always assumed it was a straight system. Spike ignites the letters and they basically teleport to either Celestia directly no matter where she is or her study/bedroom she appeared in a few times. The wisp of green smoke is really only for dramatic or visual effect. 

Apparently when he ignites letters they automatically appear in front of Celestia.

In one episode, if I remember correctly, he had hiccups and accidentally sent plenty of letters to Celestia.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I always assumed it was a straight system. Spike ignites the letters and they basically teleport to either Celestia directly no matter where she is or her study/bedroom she appeared in a few times. The wisp of green smoke is really only for dramatic or visual effect. 

Logically, they could have used this in Princess Twilight Sparkle to find where Celestia was.

Dragon magic, but how does Celestia send replies? I assume she is using pony magic, so why can't Twilight just send the letters off herself?

Celestia is a much more experienced Alicorn, and I would guess she use Alicorn magic =) 

That may be, but Twilight is an alicorn now, I would think it would be pretty trivial to simply poof a scroll to Canterlot. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Celestia put a spell on Spike so that his fire, when used on parchment, will send it to her. In return if she casts that spell on a piece of parchment it will be reformed by Spike's fire. Since it's automatic Spike doesn't need to know where Celestia is to send a letter; the spell knows. The same goes for Celestia: she doesn't need to know where Spike is because the spell will locate him,

This could easily be tested if Celestia gave up her magic to Twilight again. In that situation, since the magic that controls the spell resides in Twilight, anything Spike sends should end up with her.

• Brohoof 3

In Dragon Quest, the teenage dragons are not surprised that a letter came flying out of Spike's mouth, laughing at how he is "pen pals" with a princess. It definitely looks like some sort of dragon magic, but it's never explained in the show and to my knowledge it has never been explained in the comic books either. It's quite curious how Celestia is replying, though. No doubt the letters are sent to her study (as that is where she is every time we see her in the context of the letters); it does bear a fireplace. Perhaps it's enchanted, Harry Potter style? Some might say Spike's throat is indeed a sort of chimney!

• Brohoof 4

In Dragon Quest, the teenage dragons are not surprised that a letter came flying out of Spike's mouth, laughing at how he is "pen pals" with a princess. It definitely looks like some sort of dragon magic, but it's never explained in the show and to my knowledge it has never been explained in the comic books either. It's quite curious how Celestia is replying, though. No doubt the letters are sent to her study (as that is where she is every time we see her in the context of the letters); it does bear a fireplace. Perhaps it's enchanted, Harry Potter style? Some might say Spike's throat is indeed a sort of chimney!

You never know, maybe the princess has actually mastered some sort of dragon spell emulator of sorts. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Yes, in Griffon the Brush Off, Dash scares Spike into the hiccups & he accidently sends the parchments to Celestia (much to her surprise).  In It's About Time, Spike hiccups & sets T on fire, so it isn't automatic that EVERYTHING he breathes on gets Tported.  Possibly, the parchment or the seal are special.

In Dragon Quest, the other Dragons seem to know about this, so I'm guessing this is either a natural Dragon ability or a very easy spell (for Dragons).  C can do this but T can't because C is thousands of years older than T & a vastly more experienced wizard.  This would imply it is possible but MUCH harder for ponies.

As to being able to find C.  Has he ever sent a letter anywhere else?  If not, I suppose it's possible that C preset his flame to reach her, or it's at least the default setting unless he makes an effort to send one elsewhere.

I've also always figured the spell sent it straight from Spike to Celestia (and vice-versa) no matter what. Celestia could be on the beach and she'd still get the letter directly in front of her. Certainly, it never mattered where Spike was when he belched up a letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever Spike writes a letter he rolls it up and blows it towards Canterlot, how does he make sure that it arrives at the castle, is there any canon reason for this? 

(CONTEXT sensitive)  If Some-thing happens in the story, the applied outcome will result 

Magic is Context!

• Brohoof 1