Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you find an older version of something cooler/better than the modern version?

Jimmy Page Fan

I find firearms from the 19th century and earlier to be cooler than any current firearms.  Cars.  Architecture.  Dinosaurs are way cooler than modern day birds. x3

Terminator 1 is better than the sequels. 

I actually think T2: Judgment Day was by far the better film.

Bridges are often made with more character and distinction than modern ones. This is especially true for churches and temples.

viaduc1.jpg

Millau Viaduct, Criessels, France (2004) - largest viaduct in the world

Burrard_p5.jpg

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver, Canada (1932)

eb3ebee0446b780f89abe90041bdd54b.jpg?ito

Pasadena Community Church, Pasadena, California (1998)

Cologne%20Cathedral.jpg

Cologne Cathedral, Cologne, Germany (1888)

This is because materials were cheaper and people were paid less for equivalent work in past eras.

• 1 month later...

You guys can keep your quads , I'll roll on three (wheels)!

I like the old three wheelers better than a four wheeler.

To be honest I like the Playstation 2 better than the PS3, PS4, etc. I still have one and even though it is old, it was a big part of my childhood and I can't get enough of it.

Agreed, I still have my Super Nintendo and my PlayStation (1) I got from my cousin as a kid.

My first Ps2, Christmas 2004. Well technically it was the cats. Mom put the cats name on the tag so we would be really surprised.

post-21323-0-41419200-1435639328.jpg

Final Fantasy: I still love 4-10 and replay them regularly, but I always have trouble playing anything after that(though I haven't played 12 and admittedly enjoy Type-0)

Goldeneye 007 for the N64. The remake of that game was absolutely terrible, thanks Activision. They made it into Call of Goldeneye.

I also miss and prefer Windows 95-XP. The days of hearing that glorious boot up sound and then playing Rollercoaster Tycoon on those screen..Glorious. I like the newer stuff too but I have a nostalgia bias to older computers, at least the 90's ones.

I also vastly prefer the original Land Before Time movies, mainly the first 3. They really started to fall apart after that to me.

Other than that, I don't have a whole lot else save for probably other things that have been remade over time.

Only thing that comes to mind for me is the original Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. The remake Charlie and The Chocolate Factory sucked and wasn't near as good.

I agree with this so much it's not funny. The remake lost pretty much all of the magic of the original and nearly all of the charm. I never really liked it and I saw it before the original.

I'm not sure if it fall into the realms of coolness but a great many of my favourite films have been remade over recent years, and I generally find the remakes lack the quality of story and characters that the older versions had, this is not without exception of course, for example I prefer the new Total Recall to the 80s version.

With all the following films though, the original was far better.  Conan the Barbarian, Rollerball, The Day the Earth Stood still and Robocop (I do like the new one, just not quite as much as the original).  A few examples, there are many more.

As for objects, "retro" things do have a certain appeal even to those who don't remember them from their origin.  Just look at the Casio F-91W, that watch is more of a style icon now that it was when it first came out.

I mostly find about everything old to be better than the modern version, clothing styles, society, except computers and such.

It'll change on a case-by-case basis but generally speaking I like the new more than the old. New stuff is optimized and refined from what came before it.

Cars.

I much prefer the older designs, I'd love a car that looks like a Model T on the outside, but is still modern inside.

I don't often use the term "Cool" though, unless talking about temperature.

This.i love old cars :),especially old muscle cars

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I also miss and prefer Windows 95-XP. The days of hearing that glorious boot up sound and then playing Rollercoaster Tycoon on those screen..Glorious. I like the newer stuff too but I have a nostalgia bias to older computers, at least the 90's ones.

Ah, Windows 95.  My first ever computer was a Compaq Deskpro 230 xe running win95, I still have it somewhere. I still have my mom's first as well, an Ultra tower running win98 (and the receipts totalling $1200 in sep. 98) 

Reminds me of when small specialty computer shops were a thing, we bought the 98 at one, unfortunately, they  closed a few years later. Then bought a Compaq with Xp in 2005 at Circuit city. 

Franz Ferdinand (C'mon, Right Action or Take Me Out?), monitors (I agree, CRTs are awesome.), video formats (VHS > DVD), and... Computers. The C64 was awesome, and so was the Altair 8800.

Ah, the commodore 64, I have 2, a C64c, the sleeker all white model (1988) and a Sx-64 executive "portable" (1984), where everything was in a suitcase size machine!  Also, an Atari 400, an Atari 600xl, and a Texas instruments Ti-994a.  I love old computer s!

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Brohoof 1

Opera 12. It's powerful, it's feature-rich and was designed to enhance your browsing experience rather than just being another Chrome clone. The newer ones are exactly that, a feature-deprived Chrome clone.

My god.

Dork Farces is THE SH*T.

Dork Farces 2 even more so.

But yeah, I never buy any AAA modern PC games.

I only buy indie games (occasionally), like To The Moon and Legend of Grimrock (picking them up today. So hype!)

But, old stuff? Oh, GOD. Fallout, Morrowind, RCT, Ultima Underworld, Incredible Machine, DARK FREAKING FORCES

Love the old first person shooters, especially System Shock 1&2.    SHODAN! IM COMING FOR YOU!

(edited)

I greatly prefer music production from the 90s than it is now. Back then, there were more dynamics and you could pretty much hear everything clearly.

Nowadays, a lot of music has a lot less dynamic range and the mixes aren't too great. This isn't true in all cases, but it is in some.

Edited by Blackened
  • Brohoof 1

Cars.

I much prefer the older designs, I'd love a car that looks like a Model T on the outside, but is still modern inside.

I don't often use the term "Cool" though, unless talking about temperature.

I'm the same with cars, way cooler than new designs!

The opposite is true with Motorbikes though, the old rounded design has nothing on the sharp angles you get now! :D

Old R6

Satya.jpg

New one

2015-yamaha-yzf-r6-static.jpg

Well, can't say I love the newer versions of windows. xP

That, and I miss the old days of wizard101. It seems a bit chaotic now; what is the point of these quests again?

I greatly prefer music production from the 90s than it is now. Back then, there were more dynamics and you could pretty much hear everything clearly.

Nowadays, a lot of music has a lot less dynamic range and the mixes aren't too great. This isn't true in all cases, but it is in some.

That was my biggest critique of FoB's new album. My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark seemed reeeaally overcompressed.

(edited)

I feel most consoles in general. They're not all bad, but there are much more games I love playing on the SNES and Genesis more than stuff like the PS4 and Xbox One.

Also, Nicktoons. I'm usually not one of those "lol old cartns wer btr," in fact most of my Top 5 favorite shows are from the 2010's, but why is it that Disney Channel and Cartoon Network got even better, and Nickelodeon go from stuff like Hey Arnold and Classic Spongebob to Breadwinners? Harvey Beaks is fine, but otherwise..

That's all I can really think of for now though.

EDIT: Also, old versions of Ubuntu. I've seen images/videos of them, and they looked way easier to use. The more recent ones have that really clunky unity design that I simply hate.

Edited by Angry Cartoon Nerd