Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pain tolerance

Haruhi-chan

Ugh... my mouth is killing me as I type this, so bare with me, k? :( I just had dental surgery done to have the rest of my bad teeth removed, and now I am toothless. Don't laugh at me. ;o;

Anyway, how are you at dealing with pain? Can you handle even the slightest of pain? Or are you the type of person who has a hard time with a simple paper cut?

I'm actually really good at handling it, but it also depends on what's hurting. If it's a headache, then I'll most likely be bothered by it. I get pretty bad headaches at times. Right now though, as I said above, my mouth is in a lot of pain at the moment. The pain killer hasn't had a chance to kick in either, and it just... hurts... omg... x_x

So yeah...

• Brohoof 4

I can't handle pain. Even thinking of blood and sharp stuff makes me shiver =( If I feel pain I usually go to my bed and don't move the whole day at all

paper cut

Paper cuts!! post-28950-0-07354200-1421857891.png They are the worst =(. They are too small to bleed but they feel so itchy and annoying.

• Brohoof 4

Sometimes, I say "aj" (Pronounced like "ai", it's the Swedish way of saying "ouch") to pretty much anything that touches me even though it doesn't hurt lol

But I am usually quite careful so I don't hurt myself a lot. When I do however, I'm not very good at handling it :s I'm like a lil girl :s

Oh and just to add, I'm only bad at handling pain because of the pain. I don't have anything against blood etc. Gore <3

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

My pain's probably in the middle ground, I know that after I got my nose pierced I ended up blacking out as soon as I got home, it hurt more letting it heal than it did actually getting it done.  :lol:

Pain doesn't really effect me all that much anymore, I literally just growl whenever I end up hurting somehow (but that's what happens when you're clumsy).  :unsure:

I recall from when i was younger that during school (maybe second grade?) I fell and busted my knee cap up to the point where i might as well been bathing in blood (there was a lot of blood), that didn't hurt so my pain tolerance is a mess.  :blink:

• Brohoof 3

I don't really get to experience it all that often, so it's hard to say. Maybe my unfamiliarity with it means that I'd be very sensitive when on the rare occasion I do feel pain? =/ Otherwise, I think I get it more as discomfort than pain... hopefully...  :please:

• Brohoof 2

But I am usually quite careful so I don't hurt myself a lot. When I do however, I'm not very good at handling it :s I'm like a lil girl :s

Women actually have higher pain tolerance than men (there was even a Mythbusters episode which proved that.)

Women feel more pain, but are better at dealing with it (biologically, this makes sense as women have to experience almost unendurable pain just to reproduce. Childbirth and all that bollocks.)

Women are more hardcore than men. If my mother stubs her toe, she will just say "Ow." And carry on doing stuff. If the male members of my family stub their toe, "ARRGHHH FUCK!! Cry cry cry boo hoo."

• Brohoof 2

Pretty good, I stepped on glass two weeks ago, it felt odd, everyone in my house was yelling for me to go to hospital, I was just thinking it doesnt even hurt, why are you getting all wound up? I went eventually though due to infection risk. I've broken my leg (fractured) in the past and didn't go for a while, but that was V painful. So I would say overall my pain tolerance is high, also im not squemish to my own blood at all, i've cut my hand open on a knife accidently before and just bandaged it without issue. 

i once stepped into nail that went right into my heel, but i didn´t even notice it until i started to bleed a few minutes later.

It could just be because there a less nerve endings at that part of the body(i don´t know, i am not a doctor), because even getting hurt a little on the tip of your fingers hurts like hell.

As someone who has had over 6 knee injuries most of them work related I have dealt with more pain in the last 6 years than many people will deal with in their entire lives and what I found out is that I have an insanely high tolerance for pain. Even without the aid of pain medications which I try to avoid as much as possible because of the side effects (it is another reason why I support medical marijuana) I have endured levels of pain that would probably cause most people to pass out, I can't even begin to say how many times I have actually come close to passing out especially with my 1st and 4th knee injuries.

That light headed feeling like I could hit the floor any second if often how I can tell I am really in seriously trouble. Because of my high tolerance to pain I often seriously underestimate just how hurt I really am and will often keep pushing until long after it is wise to continue to do so. My 1st injury was the worst one I ever had and yet I still thought that going home from work early and using the 2 days off in a row I had after that shift would be enough but as I learned the hard way they weren't, as a matter of fact I was out of work for 2 months but the good news is it was half the time the doctor estimated but the injury was so serious that it is what got everything started.

One type of pain I am not very tolerant toward is hunger pain, if I don't eat something for a while than I get very very cranky and irritable which was the absolute worst part of my recovery when I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago. Yes once the pain medicine wore off the pain did go up but even the worst of it was nothing compared to even my milder knee injuries even I include the countless ones that only required me leaving work early or calling in sick for a day or so to recovered from which don't count toward the 6. Once I could eat solid food I was so grateful to have it that even shoe leather would have tasted like a filet minion to me. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, let me put it this way, ever have a dentist work on your teeth without novacain? Does not bother me. I have an extremely high tolerance to pain to the extent I have suprised doctors.

Women actually have higher pain tolerance than men (there was even a Mythbusters episode which proved that.)

good old Mythbusters.  Here's a nice little sum up I once heard about that show... "If it were up to them to reinvent the light bulb, they would go after the fine filaments with giant hammers and wrenches.  Then after a few giant explosions, claim it couldn't be done."

Even though their results are usually pretty accurate, that show is more for entermainment than science.  I haven't seen the pain tolerance episode, so I could be wrong.  I'll probably watch it later today now that it's on my mind.

I have a very high pain tolerance, and whenever I see someone making a big deal about what seems like nothing to me, I always assume they're just being dramatic.  Either that, or they don't know what REAL pain is.  They say you should never judge how another person feels pain, but biologically, we're all pretty much the same, aren't we?  So quit complaining you complainers!

good old Mythbusters. Here's a nice little sum up I once heard about that show... "If it were up to them to reinvent the light bulb, they would go after the fine filaments with giant hammers and wrenches. Then after a few giant explosions, claim it couldn't be done."

Even though their results are usually pretty accurate, that show is more for entermainment than science. I haven't seen the pain tolerance episode, so I could be wrong. I'll probably watch it later today now that it's on my mind.

I have a very high pain tolerance, and whenever I see someone making a big deal about what seems like nothing to me, I always assume they're just being dramatic. Either that, or they don't know what REAL pain is. They say you should never judge how another person feels pain, but biologically, we're all pretty much the same, aren't we? So quit complaining you complainers!

Yeah, but... Women are still cooler than men. :P;)

• Brohoof 1

Foot cramps... I can't stand foot cramps! Its the kind of pain that just comes out from nowhere to irritate you for the next several hours and prevent you from relaxing at all! :eww:

The amount of pain you feel can be somewhat attributed to how you grew up. If your parents were the type who told you to get up after you scraped your knee instead of acting like you got a .50 cal to the chest, it's more likely that you will have a better tolerance for pain. As for me, I have a high tolerance for it, but I'd rather not get hurt anyway.

Ehh it depends. If it's controlled pain (at the dentist), then I'll probably deal with it and not give an F.

If the pain won't kill me, I can usually take it :P (but I don't like it and avoid it anyways).

I don't know how much tolerance I have, but I can ignore minor pain and to some extant larger injuries as well. Although the most painful thing I can remember involves empathy. So, I am more sensitive too other's pain than my own.

I'm not bad (but not very good) when it comes to pain, unless it involves glass. Seriously, I hate glass for the sole reason that I have no tolerance for pain when sharp glass is involved.

My pain tolerance is pretty high, because I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys most types of pain that result from injury. Not in a sexual way though; it doesn't turn me on. It's something that I don't think can really be explained, you either get it or you don't.

So yeah, I like it.

• Brohoof 1

I have very high pain tolerance. I usually just drop a few F-bombs, say "Damn! That hurt!" or "This hurts a bit". I never whine about being in pain, I keep marching instead. If pain is necessary I never beg for another way around. Instead, I say "I can take it!" I have taken punches to the abdomen without feeling a thing.

Yeah. Due to a good tolerance and threshold developed while fighting others in my youth, and a surgery which deadened my nerves in several places, depending on which form of pain, i can mostly shrug some off. I've been singed in my hands several times and can handle hot objects, and i can walk off most bruises and some other simple injuries. Deep gashes, electrocution, frostbites, hound bites... that's where i'm usually falling behind.

• Brohoof 1

I supposedly have a rather insensitive sense of touch, I've pretty much had it since birth so never knew until people started commenting on it over the past few years.

So yeah, I went to the doctor's after many people pointed out my above average tolerance to pain and below average awareness of touch. Turns out it's pretty weak, which doesn't necessarily mean my pain tolerance is very high, it just means I feel less of it.

Edited by Sanctified Absence
  • Brohoof 1