Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Are Your Thoughts on The Cape?

SuperBrony87

Simply put... This topic is all about "The Cape"... Probably by far the greatest piece of garb or article of clothing ever made. The cape is also known as a cloak sometimes "royal robes". The Mexican poncho could also be a cape too, I guess? I think we'll only count the ones that either are draped over the shoulders like military personnel or Italian Renaissance men, or draped around the shoulders down the back.

Let's begin... What are your thoughts on capes? Do you like capes? Do you dislike Capes? Would you like to see the cape maybe make a fashion statement come back and or could be worn daily in public like the good old noble days of lore and not just as an accessory to a child and some adult Halloween costumes? Is it a heroes best quality of do you go for "The Incredible's" clause of "NO CAPES"... Something I find ridiculous if Batman didn't have his wings, he'd look like a pointy ninja if you look at it? 

For me... Personally, every time I see one in film or on TV; usually worn by noble counts and royal lords of epic lands and medieval worlds, mighty warriors of the sword and shield and swashbuckling heroes. On the backs of dastardly leaders and honorable leaders and the ladies and gentlemen of the late Victorian ages and most often in films and cinema's greatest heroes and villains. One thing was certain... The cape is freaking bad ass. See them flap in the air as the dark avenger stands vigilant high over the city he protects or the watchful guardian angel floating high above the Earth with his great red wings or giving an Imperial Lord a dark and menacing, cold appearance that strikes fear in the souls of men as he moves about the halls of his galactic imperial fortress, or the daring hero as he dashes dashingly down the stone halls and corridors of a dark gloomy dungeon on a quest of thwarting a great and terrible evil and restoring hope to a heart who's hope is slowly fading from as she fears her situation is growing ever closer to darkness with fear and despair.

Also I love to wear them because they always made heroes and villains look so awesome and when I'd throw one on and see for myself. I must agree, the cape does give one a certainly agreeable appearance doesn't it I mean it just seems so fashionable and good looking. I wouldn't mind seeing them become just another article of clothing people wore as they went about their daily lives. Sure people don't do that... But every year on the 31st of October I see people let loose their "cape love" they do it's just not the norm for people to wear them like out in daylight every day like someone throwing on a raincoat or a jacket.

So if you have anything that you'd like to add or take away from this discussion? Feel free to... I'd love to read what you all think about this, because I'm generally curious. I really hope this catches on... because, I know people really do like capes, they just keep it deep down inside until the 31st of October comes around to unleash their cape love on the world.

This has been SuperBrony87... Do you like capes... I like capes... capes, cloaks and robes it's all good. the longer, the flappier, the better, the badasser. Thanks for reading!

BTW on a side note... NBC once debuted a show The Cape where the titular Hero character uses his cape as a tool to fight crime. Think of that when next time you "anti-capes" and "NO CAPES" out there who say the cape is useless and pointless. To that note, I say, yes it is useless but that cause it's true and only purpose is making the hero look good... That's the cape's only purpose... Truly, it's "cape awesome".

post-31899-0-20416200-1423440189.jpg

post-31899-0-96236100-1423440205_thumb.png

post-31899-0-36194600-1423440260_thumb.jpg

post-31899-0-27061100-1423440277_thumb.jpg

post-31899-0-79466700-1423440467_thumb.jpg

post-31899-0-20258600-1423440687.jpg

post-31899-0-81542400-1423440785.jpg

post-31899-0-09381900-1423440861.jpg

post-31899-0-63922100-1423440872.jpeg

post-31899-0-80617800-1423440879_thumb.png

post-31899-0-50207800-1423440918.jpg

post-31899-0-95441400-1423440930_thumb.png

post-31899-0-00632700-1423440973_thumb.png

post-31899-0-89822800-1423440984_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Capes look super rad, but I have the same opinion that Edna from the Incredibles has. I think this film traumatized me on capes. :P

tumblr_m6ld4uRWdB1qh7d0do1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_n0labe8Bfx1qdiwnb.gif

No_Capes_The_Incredibles_3.gif

tumblr_mm6x2cmByy1re0495o1_500.gif

• Brohoof 1

Wow I knew people liked capes.... I'm glad I thought of this. YAY! BROFIST! Superman... best caper of them all.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4N7QsLfb9iU6yVK6ZZHvsB7MilOqvYQxUZTYtEdXXfZ1Tnbq0

Superman's cape isn't fixed around his neck anyways and even if he was stuck to a rocket, sucked into a jet turbine or a whirling tornado... Well my money's NOT going to be on the rocket, the engine or the tornado to win. Superman walks out unscathed... Those "incredibly" unfortunate heroes didn't have Krypton in their blood.

Wow I knew people liked capes.... I'm glad I thought of this. YAY! BROFIST! Superman... best caper of them all.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4N7QsLfb9iU6yVK6ZZHvsB7MilOqvYQxUZTYtEdXXfZ1Tnbq0

Superman's cape isn't fixed around his neck anyways and even if he was stuck to a rocket, sucked into a jet turbine or a whirling tornado... Well my money's NOT going to be on the rocket, the engine or the tornado to win. Superman walks out unscathed... Those "incredibly" unfortunate heroes didn't have Krypton in their blood.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/258/0/3/arte_final_02c_by_loganchico-d6mga2j.jpg Even better Supes cape pic here.

post-31899-0-71643200-1423448121.jpg

I absolutely love capes.  In terms of superhero lore, many capes would actually be very impractical, and would often just get in the way or even pose a danger to the wearer.  (And I'm not just referencing The Incredibles again.  That's been done enough.)  But there are a lot of example of capes that actually serve an important purpose.  Batman's cape actually allows him float/glide, etc.  It's also been used as protection/armor.  It's fire retardant, so there's that as well.  The electro-memory cloth cape in The Dark Knight movies brought a whole knew practicallity to the cape.

Superman's cape is important as well.  Being Kryptonian, his cape in indestructible by any Earth means.  This means that his cape can be used as a fire-proof shield to wrap someone in, or a bullet proof vest.  I've never been into comic books, but my dad told me than in some of the comic books, Superman would actually take off his cape and wrap someone in it to carry them through fire in order to save them and such.  But here's the most important thing: if you're a superhero that flies (or even glides), you must have a cape, or you will look stupid.  Capes are just essential for awesome flight.  That's why Zod lost the fight in Man of Steel.  Cause he looked like a dork when he flew.

In real life, I think capes are equally awesome, and I really wish more people would wear capes and other interesting things like them.  I'm love fashion, and I wish that people would wear more interesting outfits all the time, not just on Halloween.  People in movies and games look phenomenal is these outfits, so why shouldn't people wear stuff like that all the time?  And I'm not just talking about "costumes," but normal clothes that would just look amazing.  Some of these outfits wouldn't be comfortable, but many would be.  The problem is that this kind of stuff is just so hard to find.  If you really want some of these kinds of outfits, you have to make them yourself.  I've embraced this idea, and I make a lot of my own clothes.  My everyday style of dress are usually things most people would call a costume.  I wear robes from Lord of the Rings, kimonos, ancient Greek styled skirts, dresses, home-made replicas of video game costumes, and yes, capes.

I definitely approve of any sort of flowing piece of fabric draped from the shoulders, be it a cape, cloak or tabard. I personally have a floor-length hooded cloak that I wear whenever I think I can get away with it.

Massachusetts problems, I see this thread and think Cape Cod

Back on topic, When I was in marching band, I always wanted to have capes on our uniforms. Though our school wasn't very rich though :(

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely love capes.  In terms of superhero lore, many capes would actually be very impractical, and would often just get in the way or even pose a danger to the wearer.  (And I'm not just referencing The Incredibles again.  That's been done enough.)  But there are a lot of example of capes that actually serve an important purpose.  Batman's cape actually allows him float/glide, etc.  It's also been used as protection/armor.  It's fire retardant, so there's that as well.  The electro-memory cloth cape in The Dark Knight movies brought a whole knew practicallity to the cape.

Superman's cape is important as well.  Being Kryptonian, his cape in indestructible by any Earth means.  This means that his cape can be used as a fire-proof shield to wrap someone in, or a bullet proof vest.  I've never been into comic books, but my dad told me than in some of the comic books, Superman would actually take off his cape and wrap someone in it to carry them through fire in order to save them and such.  But here's the most important thing: if you're a superhero that flies (or even glides), you must have a cape, or you will look stupid.  Capes are just essential for awesome flight.  That's why Zod lost the fight in Man of Steel.  Cause he looked like a dork when he flew.

In real life, I think capes are equally awesome, and I really wish more people would wear capes and other interesting things like them.  I'm love fashion, and I wish that people would wear more interesting outfits all the time, not just on Halloween.  People in movies and games look phenomenal is these outfits, so why shouldn't people wear stuff like that all the time?  And I'm not just talking about "costumes," but normal clothes that would just look amazing.  Some of these outfits wouldn't be comfortable, but many would be.  The problem is that this kind of stuff is just so hard to find.  If you really want some of these kinds of outfits, you have to make them yourself.  I've embraced this idea, and I make a lot of my own clothes.  My everyday style of dress are usually things most people would call a costume.  I wear robes from Lord of the Rings, kimonos, ancient Greek styled skirts, dresses, home-made replicas of video game costumes, and yes, capes.

Kindred spirits... I remember one instance Superman vs The Volcano it's a classic Fleischer cartoon. Superman in protecting Lois Lane stretched out his cape and covered himself over Lois and the Lava flows right over and around him like an obstacle in the river the water goes around the obstacle so did the Lava so I understand sometimes Superman's costume is often indestructible. Ya know when it's not made from Earth materials. 

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt5cv4uYp11r2675mo1_250.gif

This has been SuperBrony87 and Superman IS Jesus! Wanna hear my analysis on that subject? Tune in next time!

Massachusetts problems, I see this thread and think Cape Cod

Back on topic, When I was in marching band, I always wanted to have capes on our uniforms. Though our school wasn't very rich though :(

Yeah I was gonna write that when I started the post in case some ponies thought I was talking about the cloak not the Cape Cod or whatever.

post-31899-0-37076700-1423465792.jpg

post-31899-0-07493200-1423465821.jpg

post-31899-0-70829200-1423465832.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Capes, for me, are the absolute pinnacle of badass. I downloaded a capes and cloaks mod for Skyrim for the sole reason that they make me look more badass. The way they flap in the wind and look dignified is just amazing, really.

Sure, they might not always be practical, but whatever. They look cool and intimidating.

• Brohoof 1

Capes are the best, and they're worn by the best.

lmoSomP.jpg

Capes look super rad, but I have the same opinion that Edna from the Incredibles has. I think this film traumatized me on capes. :P

Oh man it's been so long since I've seen The Incredibles. What a film, one of my Pixar favourites.

• Brohoof 2

My Bronies and Pegasisters I tell ya when you got it you got it... and Me I definitely got it when I gave you this thread... I realized I do have my moments. This topic is spreading like wild fire... I'm glad I could bring this to your world. I've always known that people loved capes (excluding The Incredibles) they just needed an outlet to show it... Besides the 31st of October.

Just between you me. I dream of the day I get married... I don't care what or how it turns out... That's all the Bride's call there apparently... I just wanna wear a cape with my suit. I'd look regal and handsome Like one of them fashionable ones on counts, princes or a fancy cape with a collar and trims maybe even embroidered too snazzy right? ya know? Real fairy tale chic. Every girl dreams of the day... I just wanna wear a cape... Heck I just wanna walk the streets in one without care or concern or other reasons for not being Halloween.

Something like this...

Loose-Fit-Red-Preacher-Cloak.jpg

Or this... Blue and red capes are always Even black works for this...

Cloak_01_Blue_aufmach.jpgCloak_01_Red_aufmach.jpgCloak_01_Black_aufmach.jpg

Ya get the idea... I'm just saying anything that looks good not some cheap store bought Halloween garbs made of cheap materials. And if they have a clasp connection not them tie downs. I'd take a drape cape but it may need to be anchored.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

I used to have a cat toy and I'd tie a cape around it and call it super cat and throw it around. Then I did so with a lion toy and gave it a cape too and it was sorta a fren for it.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

Capes are cute, but kinda stupid if they hang so low that you can trip on them

They don't have any function, except superheroes that fly need them to look cool

• Brohoof 1