Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Been in a Fight?

dedacct6

Yes, many. And all of them were very scary. I lived in SoCal when I was a lot younger. Where I lived, fights were hard to avoid everyday. I haven't been in a real fight in a very, long time and I hope to keep it that way. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, when I was in high school one of my best friends moved in on my girlfriend so I felt as though I had no choice, but to approach him and demand he fight me. As I look back It was, but a stupid thing to fight over a damn girl of all thing, and it finally happen, and we both got some good licks in, but he did almost break my nose so I suppose I will give him the win. Man I can't stand fighting it's a stupid thing for primitive types you dig. :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

let see from 1st garde to 8th grade i was fighting all the time.  I was in a melee 3 time, been hit with a chair, table  and other stuff.  I had fight 3 people at once one time and well i been in a lot of fights :ph34r: 

I won 85% of them and the rest were ties.   Now i don't fight anyones cause i might kill someone and 2 we have stand your ground laws here.

Since I doubt sibling fights count, no. I hope to keep it that way, too. I'm pretty tall and I could be strong (if I started up my training at the gym again) and I even know how to throw a good punch, but I'd rather not fight if I don't have to. I'm kind of a pussy, I guess.

As for the necessity of fighting...I think it's a useful skill to have, really. Being civilized and rational is all well and good, but there are situations where it simply won't work. In those cases it would be good to have the physical upper hand as well as the mental one.

• Brohoof 1

I have only had a few, and in one I got my nose bust pretty bad, now it's permanently damaged and has nose bleeds at little touches and such.
That one fight I lost, got destroyed and the reason the fight started I shall keep disclosed but still, I lost my first fight

Edited by Handsome Changeling

If you count kickboxing matches as fights then yeah, many fights. I have been only in two actual fist fights since I usually talk my way out of a bad situation, one was after a school rugby match when both teams started a massive fistfight in the middle of the pitch, the other one was with my 'friend' when I made a joke about him joining the army, he took one swing, hit me in the face cut my lip, I hit him to the ground and just walked away and left him there. 

• Brohoof 2

Once during Plebe training (think boot camp or basic). It was kind of staged and really not a true scrap, in probably the most condescending of moves, my opponent thought it would toughen me up. 

I don't plan on ever engaging in such combatives ever again. Then again, very few people actually plan to be in such situations in the first place. I'm a martial artist, and I'm confident I could fight my way out of such a situation if forced. As is the entrance philosophy of most martial arts systems though, I will only fight if no other alternatives exist.

On fighting itself. Yes it is sometimes necessary. There are those who cannot and will not be reasoned with, there are times when running away either can't be done or would actually make the situation worse.

There are causes that are worth fighting for. Honor, freedom, defense of the weak. I don't practice the martial arts because I want to fight, I practice them because I want to be strong.

If i ever got in a fight with someone, i'll be in jail. I don't argue unless the other person isn't getting what i said the first time.

Other than that, im the friendliest guy you'll know.

You'd be in jail for self-defense?

Yes, when I was in high school one of my best friends moved in on my girlfriend so I felt as though I had no choice, but to approach him and demand he fight me. As I look back It was, but a stupid thing to fight over a damn girl of all thing, and it finally happen, and we both got some good licks in, but he did almost break my nose so I suppose I will give him the win. Man I can't stand fighting it's a stupid thing for primitive types you dig. :comeatus:

What? Primitive types? You were defending your lady's honor! What more noble a reason to fight exists? If I still had a significant other, you'd bet I would fight for her!

Never in a punch up. But arguing? Hell yes.

I don't think that's what the OP was talking about. One would be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't been in an argument once their lives.

I just go by thinking, "They lay their shabby Damn hands on me, I am gonna send them to the oblivion of Hell." Never even got harmed, though. Or touched. But I think fighting is stupid, of course, but only if it is literally organized and whatever. If you fight at that moment for self defense, and only need to do it with that person once, then it is just sort of "survival."

So if two practitioner's of different schools of martial arts wanted to have a friendly bout, you'd be against that on principal?

I've never been in a serious fight before, my friends and I would fight using moves we learned from various Judo books.  Is fighting necessary?  It is, it teaches you that you don't have to take bullshit from anyone.

Dude, from your post and signature, you and I would get along just fine.  :P

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

I used to get in loads a while back, I was always timid and shy (despite being quite burly) people would pick fights with me :(

You would think winning them makes you feel good, but you feel so cold hearted and monstrous after, you lose either way

Once during Plebe training (think boot camp or basic). It was kind of staged and really not a true scrap, in probably the most condescending of moves, my opponent thought it would toughen me up. 

I don't plan on ever engaging in such combatives ever again. Then again, very few people actually plan to be in such situations in the first place. I'm a martial artist, and I'm confident I could fight my way out of such a situation if forced. As is the entrance philosophy of most martial arts systems though, I will only fight if no other alternatives exist.

On fighting itself. Yes it is sometimes necessary. There are those who cannot and will not be reasoned with, there are times when running away either can't be done or would actually make the situation worse. I don't practice the martial arts because I want to fight, I practice them because I want to be strong.

You'd be in jail for self-defense?

What? Primitive types? You were defending your lady's honor! What more noble a reason to fight exists? If I still had a significant other, you'd bet I would fight for her!

I don't think that's what the OP was talking about. One would be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't been in an argument once their lives.

So if two practitioner's of different schools of martial arts wanted to have a friendly bout, you'd be against that on principal?

Dude, from your post and signature, you and I would get along just fine.  :P

Obviously, I am talking about a fight in which the opponents are literally angry and want to really harm the other. Of course, martial arts are fine, why ask that?

I got into a fight in about grade 9-ish. It was in the change room just after Phys. Ed. ended. He was an aggressive guy who got into a lot of fights with anyone who looked at him wrong really. Not joking, he even punched the principal xD.

He hit me in the face while I wasn't looking, so I put him in a headlock and fed him a couple, then dropped him to the ground and went to the next class.

:o  . . . . . .

22ac8884fd0df07355f0ae5a940a4cde42cd257b

No irony here. That is just awesome!

Obviously, I am talking about a fight in which the opponents are literally angry and want to really harm the other. Of course, martial arts are fine, why ask that?

Well you said:

"But I think fighting is stupid, of course, but only if it is literally organized and whatever."

So a fight between two disciplined disciples would obviously be organized. So I was just confirming your feelings on that.

• Brohoof 2

:o  . . . . . .

22ac8884fd0df07355f0ae5a940a4cde42cd257b

No irony here. That is just awesome!

Well you said:

"But I think fighting is stupid, of course, but only if it is literally organized and whatever."

So a fight between two disciplined disciples would obviously be organized. So I was just confirming your feelings on that.

Damn, that is the most common mistake I make when typing... Well, what I meant was when gangs or rivals decide to take it down in a fight, and they schedule it. Obviously not talking of karate or martial arts. Sorry, I was just not specific.
  • Brohoof 2

Yuup. About 10 years ago or round about.

Got bullied in school alot, till I snapped and told them all where to put it.

Ended with me getting beat up pretty bad, not much you can do against handful of bullies. :P

Also another time I got beat up randomly by a gang in street. Also another one where I had a random knock at my door and a random drunk guy I'd never seen before hit me. That was just a total wtf moment. xD

On fighting itself. Yes it is sometimes necessary. There are those who cannot and will not be reasoned with, there are times when running away either can't be done or would actually make the situation worse.

There are causes that are worth fighting for. Honor, freedom, defense of the weak. I don't practice the martial arts because I want to fight, I practice them because I want to be strong.

Very true, I couldn't have said it any better.
  • Brohoof 1

Damn, that is the most common mistake I make when typing... Well, what I meant was when gangs or rivals decide to take it down in a fight, and they schedule it. Obviously not talking of karate or martial arts. Sorry, I was just not specific.

No you're right. I'm not familiar with gang culture so I can't really comment upon that specific instance, but I do believe to fight for nothing is just senseless violence. Say what you will about Ghengis Khan, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, and others like them. Conquerers who destroyed homes and subjugated entire nations, but at least something came out of that. To fight just to spill blood is damnable.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

No you're right. I'm not familiar with gang culture so I can't really comment upon that specific instance, but I do believe to fight for nothing is just senseless violence.

I can't really say much for fighting, though, since I was never even in one. I prefer to keep it that way.
  • Brohoof 2

I can't really say much for fighting, though, since I was never even in one. I prefer to keep it that way.

Wise of you. Tell me though, what of those like myself who practice techniques and the use of weapons that can be used to fight? I'm always curious to know what pacifists or otherwise tacitly non violent people think of the martial arts from the outside.  

Wise of you. Tell me though, what of those like myself who practice techniques and the use of weapons that can be used to fight? I'm always curious to know what pacifists or otherwise tacitly non violent people think of the martial arts from the outside.

If you practice certain fighting techniques and have weapon training, then one, congratulations, two, I hope you run into a mugger with low experience.

A couple of times. I once got ambushed in Thailand. 2 Dudes were drunk and/or high. Got the better of the 2 guys until 1 of them went back to his bike & pulled a knife. That's when I ran. So I kinda did both fight and flight in one encounter.   

• Brohoof 1

I've been in three fights well two because I accidentally punched someone in the nose after he threw my collectible cards out the window on the bus, then I was in eighth grade and then someone was wanting me to fight during P.E so I did and someone randomly pushed me and started a fight

If you practice certain fighting techniques and have weapon training, then one, congratulations, two, I hope you run into a mugger with low experience.

I hope never to be in that situation, period. If I am ever do though, I can guarantee "an experienced mugger" is no match for even a novice in the arts.