Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Been in a Fight?

dedacct6

Does the name, "Tyler Durden" mean anything to you? I think you're exactly the kind of guy he's looking for.

I'm not sure whether I would or would not recommend you taking some martial arts lessons. Maybe if it were a style like Tai Chi or Judo and not something like Silat or Escrima.

Well that's interesting coming from someone who claimed every human being would only act in defense of another if that person got something out of it. Or the only thing keeping people from doing wrong is fear of punishment.

Change of heart? (Sincerity. :) )

I was feeling especially cynical at the time I wrote the part about people not helping one another other than if they profit.

As for Tyler Durden, you should know the first and second rules about that place, never talk about it.

• Brohoof 1

I was feeling especially cynical at the time I wrote the part about people not helping one another other than if they profit.

As for Tyler Durden, you should know the first and second rules about that place, never talk about it.

Ha! I was trying to avoid breaking the first and second rule by "talking about" it's founder rather than the place!  :lol:

haha yea ive been in fights in highschool ive won and lost but i used to love it and now its pretty stupid to fight....

Fighting solves nothing!

haha yea ive been in fights in highschool ive won and lost but i used to love it and now its pretty stupid to fight....

Fighting solves nothing!

Quitting isn't so productive either. Desperate times call for desperate measures. At best, fighting is a holding pattern for the issue to be truly resolved later. Sometimes though, you need to buy yourself that time.

This problem is only limited to the Florida public education system.  Once your free of its clutches, the state is actually very good at recognizing your right to self-defense. 

If  the dream defenders get there way it would go back to how in was in the 80's here were you had to flee 1st before you had the right to self-defense. 

I think it's funny how many people said fighting is  stupid and unnecessary.   Only fools go out looking for a fight .     "It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." Ghandi

• Brohoof 1

I've only ever been in one fight in my life, thankfully, and it was during my junior year of high school. During gym, I pegged a kid in the face with a playground ball on accident. Apparently he didn't take too kindly to it because in the locker room after class he tried to start something. Now, I was the starting center of our school's varsity football team, meaning I was a pretty big dude. I had at least 100 lbs on this kid. I wasn't going to indulge him...until he made the dire mistake of throwing the first punch. Now growing up, my father always told me something along the lines of "Son, you should never start a fight...but you better damn well make sure you finish one." That philosophy must have been hard coded into my genetics because before I knew what was happening I had broken his nose with a single punch. And then the fight was over. He went to the nurse and I went about my day as usual. Neither of us were reprimanded because no one in the locker room ever spoke of that incident. So yeah...that happened.

• Brohoof 1

Violence is a reality. Shouldn't? Yes. Should we try to minimize it? Yes.

One can't though, participate in life itself without accepting it's dangers. 

(You're also right in that "fight" is vague at best. "Physical conflict with the intent to harm on the part of at least one combatant" is how I've been viewing it.)

Violence is a reality, yes indeed. I wish it wouldn't need to be. I'm one of those people who keeps hoping for a bright future without any violence, war or fights. I'm down to earth though, so I understand that such a bright and peaceful future most likely will never come to be. Especially not among humans, I'll never understand some people and why they abuse, rape, torture without a care in the world that it might be horribly wrong.

I definitely accept life's dangers. I just wish people would stop trying to solve things with violence, 'cause it will never solve anything at all. Perhaps if you need it to protect something, someone or yourself, as in self-defense. That's just a natural reaction for a living being. I just wish people wouldn't steal or use violence on anyone to begin with, it would make things so much easier. However, the world is not fair and there will always be a misbalance somewhere in the world. It's just how it is; it's the harsh reality. I'll always despise that fact and run off to my fantasy about peace in the world whenever I get the chance to.

I'll keep wishing and hoping for peace among everyone. That's also why I adore the song "Imagine" by John Lennon so much. If you think about it for a while.. It sure would be something.

Edited by rosenflickan
  • Brohoof 1

I've been in a bunch.

One time this guy was bullying a mate so I pinned him to a picnic table and punched him in the jaw.

Another time a guy was itching for a fight and attempted to intimidate me by saying that he was a black belt in karate so I headbutted him in the nose (this was before I wore glasses) with my hands still in my pockets before he could attack me.

I punched a guy in the street because he was being a dick. He's a guitarist in a shitty local band and he'd pissed me off before. I see him in my local city centre selling EPs from a folding table. A girl was asking him about what sort of music his band played and he said "its death and thrash metal" and she was like "oh, I'm not really into that sort of stuff". He starts berating her and insulting her music tastes which pissed me off so I floored him with a punch to the nose, pulled the girl away and told her not to put up with arseholes like him. I've seen the guy a couple of times since and he seems to have repressed the event ^_^

I've also had various instances of me and my mates throwing punches at each other when we've had disagreements but everything is good after.

Forgot one: the very first day of uni saw my whole flat (my entire block, really) going to a nightclub in the city centre. I have never been a fan of clubs and this night was no different. I stayed a while and then started to walk back to the flat. On the way some 40 something crack-head comes up to me and starts shouting incoherently at me. I can't understand a word he's saying but he takes a swing at me and misses my nose by an inch. I punch him in the face and he drops like a sack of bricks. I really hurt my hand but I had the presence of mind to quote Firefly: "They say never to hit a man with a closed fist but it is, on occasion, hilarious". I felt like such a badass but it was a shame nobody was around to witness it. My hand was fucked up for a fortnight afterwards though.

• Brohoof 2

Violence is a reality, yes indeed. I wish it wouldn't need to be. I'm one of those people who keeps hoping for a bright future without any violence, war or fights. I'm down to earth though, so I understand that such a bright and peaceful future most likely will never come to be.

Not in our lifetime, but I'm skeptical that it will never happen. At least nations will cease to war with one another. Violence will at least be scaled back to the point that violent interpersonal conflict will be more common than large scale mass fighting.

Especially not among humans

Uhhhhhh why?

Do you know of another existing sentient species? One that does not wage war?

I can name two non-sentient species that also engage in war, for instance, and none that strive for peace. Many humans, on the other hand, long for and work for peace.

I'll never understand some people and why they abuse, rape, torture without a care in the world that it might be horribly wrong.

Evil exists, unfortunately.

The price of understanding morality is that we experience both sides of it.

I definitely accept life's dangers. I just wish people would stop trying to solve things with violence, 'cause it will never solve anything at all. Perhaps if you need it to protect something, someone or yourself, as in self-defense. That's just a natural reaction for a living being. I just wish people wouldn't steal or use violence on anyone to begin with, it would make things so much easier. However, the world is not fair and there will always be a misbalance somewhere in the world. It's just how it is; it's the harsh reality. I'll always despise that fact and run off to my fantasy about peace in the world whenever I get the chance to.   I'll keep wishing and hoping for peace among everyone.

I hope and pray for such a time to. I don't restrict it to my fantasies though as I have faith that it's completely possible.

Edited by Steel Accord

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been in a real fight with anyone yet, but I've come close a few times. I've thrown and taken a few punches, shoves, kicks, and so on that didn't escalate into a genuine fight. I also launched someone into the air once who almost drowned me, probably without realizing what he was doing, when I was a little kid. Yeah, I got an adrenaline rush that day, and that's the physical explanation. But on a spiritual level, I still believe God or someone else out there saved me.

• Brohoof 2

I was bullied very much for the first half of my 7th grade year. I started by not fighting back so it was mostly me being beat up. Things built up, though. Eventually I started fighting back. I fought hard, won some, lost some. By the end of it I had almost killed two people. Avoid fighting if you can, kids.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...

I've been in one, though I regret partaking in it. Then again, I don't think there was any other way of resolving the situation.

I haven't been in an actual physical fight since I was much younger, and then it was just a girly slap-fight sort of thing with no real injuries caused. I'm not very big or strong so partaking in a real slug-fest wouldn't be advisable unless I want to lose a few of my pearly-whites. I prefer to strike down my enemies with my staggering wit and skills in the art of the insult. Then I run away if someone gets mad and comes after me. 

I do believe there is a time and place to fight though (for other people, :mlp_please: not me of course). Sometimes it's better to fight (and even lose) than to let someone else have a free hand with their nastiness. I think some kinds of physical injury are better than holding in all that emotional poisoning. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got in a short "fight" in middle school once. I was getting someone to stop picking on someone else, and we kind of pushed each other around for a couple of seconds and I threw a binder at him, but that was it. I try to avoid conflict as much as possible.

Some guy tried bullying me and when he physically attacked me I grabbed hold of his neck and nearly choked him to death luckily someone stopped me.

There was another incident which involved someone mocking how poor I was so I lost my temper picked him up and dropped him on his head which caused him to suffer a somewhat long cut needing him to get stitches 

Call me a brute but I'll do what I have to do in order to stop people from bullying me

Edited by Crow2

All my childhood life i was scrawny and submissive. I wanted to be everyones friend and wanted to help everyone. I was basically a Mary Sue. Though, there were kids who hated how happy and cheery i was and bullied me. I was enrolled in martial arts because of this, but i was then taught to never use my skills in anger; only in life threatening situations. So I persevered until the last year of middle school. I was thrown into a circle while my crush looked on horrified. I cold cocked the main bully and knocked him out. I got suspended, and the bully was made to look like the victim because it was 5 kids against me, and my crush.

I was in one, and it was with a bully who didn't leave me alone for MONTHS. Seriously, it went on non-stop.

However in the sense of a debate that got too heated... I've been in more of those than I can count. Basically every time the other person was the aggressor, and it usually was because they decided that they didn't like my opinion on something.

Edited by ~Dusky~