Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Villain Reformation: Should the Dazzlings have a chance to redeem themselves?

Sugar Pea

I think two villain reformations is enough., in my opinion. xD

I mean, I absolutely loved the Dazzlings in Rainbow Rocks and all, but they were some pretty bad girls. (On account of their history and present day agenda).

Do you think Hasbro would be beating a dead horse if the Sonata, Aria and Adagio were to be reformed in the future, seeing as they were left empty handed?

Edited by teacup-bunnies23

I hope they keep them as characters. If you have a villainous character, there are two obvious ways for them to stick around and stay relevant after their initial defeat:

• reform them; or
  • have them come up with a new plan.

I think it would be a little dull if they went down the reform path yet again. They've already done it with Luna and Sunny, and that's great, but they don't need to keep doing the same old thing. Them coming up with a new plan for taking over the world doesn't seem likely in Equestria Girls 3, which looks like it will feature some brand new antagonists.

But although those are the two obvious ways to keep the characters relevant, there are other routes they could take. A new and far worse villain could appear that forces old enemies to work together. Perhaps the Dazzlings and the Humane 7 will need to temporarily put aside their differences to defeat someone far more evil? At the end, while the two groups might not be friends with each other, they might start to develop a mutual respect. Something more nuanced than full reformation.

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

The only one who hasn't reformed was tirek.

Not so. Sombra and Chrysalis haven't been reformed. Sombra was possibly killed.

And although they're more antagonists than villains, Gilda, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and the Flim Flam brothers have not yet been reformed.

Not so. Sombra and Chrysalis haven't been reformed. Sombra was possibly killed.

And although they're more antagonists than villains, Gilda, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, and the Flim Flam brothers have not yet been reformed.

I hope discord doesn't actually reform like shown in the season 4 finale.

I hope discord doesn't actually reform like shown in the season 4 finale.

Um, somebody hasn't watched the episodes. He's *been* reformed since like middle of what, season 3? It was a whole episode. Somewhere around there. An episode involving Fluttershy.

On the actual topic, I really think the Dazzlings are gone for good from the villain scene. Their source of power was destroyed completely. They might come back as background characters, but they'd have no magic powers anymore.

Edited by bronislav84

Um, somebody hasn't watched the episodes. He's *been* reformed since like middle of what, season 3? It was a whole episode. Somewhere around there.

I assume @ was referring to Discord's temporary return to the dark side, that happens at the end of Season 4, showing that his reform is perhaps still fragile.

Personally I think he's likely to remain good now, with the season 4 finale being a blip on his path to reformation. Being reformed doesn't mean he'll stop causing problems though, as we've seen in Princess Twilight and Three's a Crowd. We might see him doing things that perhaps seem bad, but turn out to have prevented something worse from happening, or end up teaching the Mane 6 an important lesson.

That could be what Metallic meant, but then it's worded really badly in that case. Discord did say he only joined Tirek so Twilight would get her key. It was all for the greater good, and he never actually slipped to being evil.

But yea I agree with you Vital. Discord is chaos. That's never going to change. He's a free spirit and likes to have fun at others expense, but he's not truly evil anymore. I think Chaotic Good sums him up pretty well.

Edited by bronislav84

He did say he only joined Tirek so Twilight would get her key.

No, he didn't. He had genuinely switched sides. He states his reason for joining Tirek in part 2 of the episode:

Tirek tricked me into believing that he could offer me something more valuable than friendship. But there is nothing worth more. I see that now.

Of course, it turned out that in the end this helped Twilight get her key, but that was an unintentional consequence. I think if that had been his plan all along, he would have mentioned it at some point.

Ok yea I remember that. So he was tricked and slipped back into it. Still proves he's just acting his nature IMO. Spirit of chaos. He's not going to just stop causing problems, but at least he's well intentioned now. More or less.

@

As this topic is covering characters that have only appeared in the Equestria Girls films, it has been moved to the Equestria Girls forum. Keep in mind that Sugarcube Corner is for topics covering the fandom, and anything related to EqG goes in that specific forum.

Thanks. :)

Eh, no thanks. It would feel redundant after Sunset's redemption. Plus, we've had enough bad guys reformed in this franchise as it is.

Though I can see them taking a middle ground with Sonata being good (she was lousy at being bad to begin with) while the other 2 stay bad. Heck, they could even further split it with Adagio being evil and Aria being a mere jerk.

They've lost the source of their powers but they're still ancient beings. It's quite conceivable that they would be reformed to provide exposition if it ever becomes necessary. I hope they don't, though.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Dazzlings as antagonists, but not every bad guy just needs friendship to become a better person. They did that well with Sombra by essentially killing him, and Chrysalis wasn't reformed either. So, all in all, I ope the Dazzlings stay gone because not every villain needs to be redeemed.

I don't really think they should.  Ignoring the fact that we already have had Sunset Shimmer and Discord reform from being evil (and Luna too i guess but Nightmare Moon wasn't really much of a character) the films already have a good amount of major characters in them.  With human Twilight, Sunset Shimmer, the high 5, and at least one new main antagonist possibly 3 there would be too many main characters for the Dazzlings to fit into the EQG 3.  And that is not counting pony world Twilight and Spike who likely will appear again, and possibly Flash Sentry but who knows.

I'd rather see new villains then rehashing old ones.

No. I always found reforming to be nothing more than rebuking individuality and force change to cater to others. You were born to be bad and its your nature, but you must reform to good in the best interest of Equestrian society. The series just doesn't offer a middle ground.

Edited by Singe

The Dazzlings were born as Sirens to our knowledge, unless whatever species they are isn't unique to them, and they're simply three examples of their species who got magic amulets that lets them enchant through singing. I personally prefer the first theory. More to work with in headcanon.

So going by that logic, no, they shouldn't be reformed because they were 'born what they are', so to speak.

If they were to be brought back in the future EQG series or third movie, I'd hope to see them plotting to re-attain their powers.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, please. I think, after the thing that they did to Dazzlings, they kinda should reform them. Also I think "too much redemption" is probably the worst excuse for not doing this.

Because they was slighty better as villiains then Sunset is also  pretty bad reason (in my opinion).

I'm not saying they should give us, like, one hour story, just to show they are happy now.

Edited by MitBoy