Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which school rules do you hate the most

Metallic Strings

The one where some teachers won't let you use your phone if you finish a test early because they claim, "It's disruptive to the class." You don't make a lot of noise using your phone, especially if you wear headphones.

Oh, and of coarse there's, "The bell does not dismiss you, I dismiss you!" So you want us to be late?

Edited by ChikoritaBrony
  • Brohoof 3

Up to somewhere during 11th grade (or perhaps during the summer after) we were allowed to have MP3 players and even listen to them in certain classes (mainly computer classes, where you just stop and do work without much lecture). It was sad when we couldn't do it anymore.

BUT the rule I hated the most was the cell phone rules. Initially, much like MP3 players, the rules were pretty lenient, and understandable. We were allowed to have them with us at all times, just not use them during class. In my junior or senior year they turned very strict and did not allow us to have them on us at all. We were supposed to either put them in our lockers or leave them in our cars.

That rule was particularly unfair to me because I did not drive, and had to get to a bus that left like three minutes after the bell. You can guess what that means - it means I couldn't use a locker, either. My high school was HUGE, the size of a community college. I had to take my instrument with me to my last class just because I couldn't make it in time to the bus if I had to go back to the band room, so a locker was a no-go for me. So there was no way within the rules for me to have one.

Nevertheless, I had one on me anyway. =P Only during the tenth grade did I actually try texting during class, after that I backed off. So in 11th and 12th grade I should have been the least of their worries, I wanted my phone just in case I missed the bus or just needed to contact my parents after school in general.

With that in mind, I got detention for having it one time. >.>

Geez, when I was in high school cell phones just started becoming a big thing, and smart phones and internet on phones was either nonexistent or very obscure at the time, so these kinds of rules were just unfair.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

It's compulsory to pray during our daily scripture.

We have to wear blazers during Winter when going outside the school. Because apparently wearing blazers gives "a good example" to parents.

"You will be seated when the teacher tells you to be." The teacher isn't royalty. They're a teacher. A middle-class citizen just like me. Sure, I'll give them respect because they're an 'elder' by not talking in class or whatever. But that specific rule urks me.

• Brohoof 2

Do you get to choose which deity?

Nope. So if you're Hindu or some other religion besides Christianity, you must still pray to the Christian god.

Edited by Flitter

What rules at school do you hate most. I hate that you can't listen to music, but they will only let you listen to kidz bop. I mean, what kind of 8th grade student would listen to freaking KIDS BOP!!!!!!!!

Tell me some rules you hate

Well, if yu think about it, you really shouldn't be listening to music while you're working.

Heheh. Once you're in high school, though, the teachers make the rules.

My art Teacher didn't allow people to wear hats in class, so he'd just knock your hat off if you were wearing one. High School teachers are pretty much allowed to be as rude as their students, so this art teacher would always insult his students if they were screwing around.

It's pretty awesome...if you're a good kid.

Honestly, I never really hated any rule. That doesn't mean I loved them, but being someone who was and still is generally laid back, neither personally affected. Plus, being that this area does NOT have cell phone service and at the time there was no wifi at the high school (I graduated in 04, remember) it was generally pointless to have cell phones.

Of the bell judges when we arrive, then it should judge when we leave.

If school is not the place to sleep, then home isn't the place to study.

Hats. They don't let you wear it if there is a logo on it. Even if it is you name, like my friend who has a hat with her name on it.

I know it is not a rule, but teachers take it like everything you say is to argue. Hell of an annoyance.

• Brohoof 4

You go to a private school? Because if a public school is doing this it is completely illegal.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I went to a state run school in the same city lives in, and there were once-weekly scripture lessons which were definitely not of the "comparative religious education" variety, but aimed at teaching a particular religion. They offered separate Christian and Jewish classes, and possibly others.

Like any other class, the teachers make the rules, and I imagine that participating in prayer could be one of them. However, you can, as I did, opt out of scripture classes entirely. (You'd generally need to get your parents' signature on a permission slip.) If enough students do, then the school typically offers some half-hearted attempt at a secular personal development class, which both the teachers and students know is a waste of time. If not, then they'll give you a private study period. Or in some cases, might let you go home early that day. 

I honestly never got that rule. What, do they think people will hide weapons in hats?

Maybe because classrooms are indoors, and we're not fucking indoor-hat-wearing savages?

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle

A couple of years ago back in high school, we had a rule that forbade the use of smartphones and other electronic devices during lunchtime. It was enforced, so it was always a bit difficult for students to use their devices to catch up on games, social media, and so on during the twenty-five minutes of precious freedom you have in the middle of the day.

During instruction, I understand the "no electronic devices" rule, but it always felt a bit excessive during lunchtime.

• Brohoof 1

This is part of my school's rules regarding the school uniform. In my school, you're only allowed to wear the official school jacket. The official school jacket for my school is fucking PAPER THIN. So yeah, it's borderline useless in cold weather AND WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR OUR OWN JACKETS!!! A couple of weeks ago, it was freezing one morning, so I decided I'd take my chances and wear my bomber-jacket. When I got to school, my Year Head threw a shit-fit and gave me a formal detention (after-school detention) for not wearing the school jacket! Fuck the school jacket and the rules regarding it!

Edited by GrauWitz

Maybe because classrooms are indoors, and we're not fucking indoor-hat-wearing savages?

What's wrong with wearing hats indoors, though? >_>

I do it, but that's usually only because sometimes I don't brush my hair in the morning. I have an "emergency hat" on my table by my wallet and keys for that reason. Mandatory no-hat zones are pretty senseless in my opinion.

I don't know about you, but I have other things to worry about, rather than the petty concerns of what other people are doing with their clothing.

Edited by Admiral Regulus