Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BronyCAN 2015 - Advice for new pony attending

Intenzifier

Hi there I'm going to be attending BronyCAN this year and it will be my first MLP convention and was seeing if anyone had some advice or what I should expect for a new person attending.

Also I'm interested in seeing who will be going this year, Vincent Tong & Maryke Hendrikse (voice actors for Flash Sentry and Sonata Dusk) have been announced as the first guests attending this year which is exciting I would love if Tabitha could make it would be awesome to meet her. 

• Brohoof 1

@Intenzifier

I moved your post to the BronyCAN forum since you will likely get some direct feedback on all of your questions here. I know attended last year, and the Feld0 is one of the con poobahs so there is no better place to ask then here. If Tabby goes to BronyCAN color me jealous though. 

• Brohoof 3

@Intenzifier

I moved your post to the BronyCAN forum since you will likely get some direct feedback on all of your questions here. I know attended last year, and the Feld0 is one of the con poobahs so there is no better place to ask then here. If Tabby goes to BronyCAN color me jealous though. 

Thanks Jeric, I appreciate you trying to help me out I know BronyCAN is still months away but thought I'd ask anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks Jeric, I appreciate you trying to help me out I know BronyCAN is still months away but thought I'd ask anyway.

Yeah, last year was my first time attending an MLP con, and actually my first time attending a con in general. I did attend E3 2013, but that's an expo. Anyways, it was a lot of fun. My advice is to definitely go on the middle day, which was Saturday last year since that had the most panels, if you can't make it to all the days. My friend and I went on the Friday, but he didn't want to stay and I can't say I had that much fun at first, but the first set of panels that day weren't the best and I wish I had stayed till the evening that day. Anyways, I came back without my friend on Saturday, and was there for most of that day and the Sunday. I wish my friend could have the same experience I did, so I might make him give it a second shot this year. He'll thank me.:)

If you want additional advice, I say look through the list of panels and make a checklist of your own of the ones you want to see the most, though it can be a mental checklist. Meeting Nicole Oliver was cool. She's really down to earth, and there's just something inherently relatable about her. Meeting Amy Mebberson who does some of the art for the comics was also really cool, and I'm glad I bought that signed sketch of Fluttershy from her for the same price as just an autograph at one of the signings. Oh, you might want to bring money. The vendor hall was cash only last year, and there's some cool stuff there. Also, you need money for parking, though a credit card works for that. Of course you'll need to pay for admission. It adds up, even though Brony Can is pretty reasonable in terms of cost.

Last but not least, don't worry if this is your first time there. It was my first time last year and I was also a pretty new fan, and I stood next in line to a guy who gets on a plane to attend every possible Brony con on the continent that he can, has signatures from all of the voice actresses and a whole ton of MLP swag, and I did not get a whiff of elitism from him or anyone else there. In fact, I felt really welcome there. I've known fanbases who aren't nearly as cool, so props to Bronies for making even the least of us feel just as much a part of the herd as anypony else.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, last year was my first time attending an MLP con, and actually my first time attending a con in general. I did attend E3 2013, but that's an expo. Anyways, it was a lot of fun. My advice is to definitely go on the middle day, which was Saturday last year since that had the most panels, if you can't make it to all the days. My friend and I went on the Friday, but he didn't want to stay and I can't say I had that much fun at first, but the first set of panels that day weren't the best and I wish I had stayed till the evening that day. Anyways, I came back without my friend on Saturday, and was there for most of that day and the Sunday. I wish my friend could have the same experience I did, so I might make him give it a second shot this year. He'll thank me. :)

If you want additional advice, I say look through the list of panels and make a checklist of your own of the ones you want to see the most, though it can be a mental checklist. Meeting Nicole Oliver was cool. She's really down to earth, and there's just something inherently relatable about her. Meeting Amy Mebberson who does some of the art for the comics was also really cool, and I'm glad I bought that signed sketch of Fluttershy from her for the same price as just an autograph at one of the signings. Oh, you might want to bring money. The vendor hall was cash only last year, and there's some cool stuff there. Also, you need money for parking, though a credit card works for that. Of course you'll need to pay for admission. It adds up, even though Brony Can is pretty reasonable in terms of cost.

Last but not least, don't worry if this is your first time there. It was my first time last year and I was also a pretty new fan, and I stood next in line to a guy who gets on a plane to attend every possible Brony con on the continent that he can, has signatures from all of the voice actresses and a whole ton of MLP swag, and I did not get a whiff of elitism from him or anyone else there. In fact, I felt really welcome there. I've known fanbases who aren't nearly as cool, so props to Bronies for making even the least of us feel just as much a part of the herd as anypony else.

Thanks a lot for the info Tross it also happens to be my first time attending a con in general so I am a little nervous jumping right into the thick of things, I will be coming in on Friday so I'll hopefully be able to catch a few things that day and take the rest of the day to plan out Saturday and Sunday. There is a good chance I'll find something I want to bring back with me and add to my collection so good note on the cash only in the vendor hall a plus if they have debit or credit this year. There is a heap of emotions running through me when thinking of BronyCAN but I'm sure I'll be fine once I get there, I got Rarity and Lyra shoulder plushes that I am bringing so I'll have them on my shoulder to help me out.  :rarity:    

• Brohoof 1

Thanks a lot for the info Tross it also happens to be my first time attending a con in general so I am a little nervous jumping right into the thick of things, I will be coming in on Friday so I'll hopefully be able to catch a few things that day and take the rest of the day to plan out Saturday and Sunday. There is a good chance I'll find something I want to bring back with me and add to my collection so good note on the cash only in the vendor hall a plus if they have debit or credit this year. There is a heap of emotions running through me when thinking of BronyCAN but I'm sure I'll be fine once I get there, I got Rarity and Lyra shoulder plushes that I am bringing so I'll have them on my shoulder to help me out.  :rarity:

Yeah, it's natural to feel nervouscited(a term coined like Pinkie Pie). I had no idea what to expect either. It's good to have a companion with you but if you don't I intend to go, assuming I can afford it, and I'm sure other people from the forums will be there too. It's not too bad being alone for parts of it too, especially when you're in the vendor hall which is a tight space packed with lots of people, but I find panels are even better when you enjoy them with someone else. Because Saturday ended up being the day when the bulk of the panels were scheduled, I didn't end up buying anything on that day, but it was easily the best day for creating memories. There was plenty of time to browse for pony wares early on Friday and around mid-day Sunday, so that's when I bought my swag. Above all, don't forget the golden rule: have fun!:)
  • Brohoof 1

Right now I am going by myself hopefully as the day gets closer some people on here plan a meet up or something of that nature, though if you do go maybe we will bump into each other because your right its good to have a friend along for the ride it makes a lot of things better.  ^_^

Question though since I'm not familiar with cons where do we pick up our badges? 

• Brohoof 1

Right now I am going by myself hopefully as the day gets closer some people on here plan a meet up or something of that nature, though if you do go maybe we will bump into each other because your right its good to have a friend along for the ride it makes a lot of things better.  ^_^

Question though since I'm not familiar with cons where do we pick up our badges?

At the front check in area. There is a lineup to get to it, so you can't miss it. You only have to go through the line once, and can come and go as you please once you have your badge. If you get a full weekend pass, you'll only have to do it on Friday. The line appeared to be the longest that day, but that's not surprising since all the weekend pass people, myself included, were in line as well as the people getting Friday passes.

Don't fret if you're still in line when the con technically starts. There isn't a lot going on in the beginning, and things like the game room were still being set up last time. You can come early if you want to get in right away, but how early you come depends on how long you want to wait. I think I came just an hour early and got in just in time to catch the tail end of the meet and greet, but the conversations in line made it its own kind of meet and greet so I didn't really need to go to that. I suppose meeting a guy at the meet and greet who calls himself Squid was interesting, mind you.

• Brohoof 1

At the front check in area. There is a lineup to get to it, so you can't miss it. You only have to go through the line once, and can come and go as you please once you have your badge. If you get a full weekend pass, you'll only have to do it on Friday. The line appeared to be the longest that day, but that's not surprising since all the weekend pass people, myself included, were in line as well as the people getting Friday passes.

Don't fret if you're still in line when the con technically starts. There isn't a lot going on in the beginning, and things like the game room were still being set up last time. You can come early if you want to get in right away, but how early you come depends on how long you want to wait. I think I came just an hour early and got in just in time to catch the tail end of the meet and greet, but the conversations in line made it its own kind of meet and greet so I didn't really need to go to that. I suppose meeting a guy at the meet and greet who calls himself Squid was interesting, mind you.

Okay thanks and yes I did get a weekend pass, I think I'm getting their a little late I'm not sure when the con opens but I'm staying at the executive plaza hotel and check in time is at 3pm and yeah I bet meeting a guy named squid would be quite interesting.  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for posting on a slightly old thread, but I will also be attending BronyCan as well, so I hope to see you all there!

I got Rarity and Lyra shoulder plushes that I am bringing so I'll have them on my shoulder to help me out.  :rarity:    

If I see you, I'll try to say hi. Last year's BronyCan was my first time attending a con of any sort, like Tross, and I was also quite nervouscited, but I had so much fun, and now I'm just really excited. The best advice I can give you is to not be worried about it, because if it's anything like it was last year, it'll be a lot of fun. There's a lot of helpful volunteers around to show you where things are and help you with anything, and it's a small enough place that you can't get lost, so there's nothing really to stress about. It's understandable to be nervous about going, but once you get there and meet people (which will probably first happen in the line-up to registration), you'll relax a lot.

Like Tross said, the vendors hall has a lot of great stuff, so bring lots of money... unless you don't want to become broke, in which case don't bring lots of money....

Basically, what you can expect from the convention is attending panels (a schedule will be released in advance for which panels are at what times and what rooms they're in), walking around, visiting the Vendors Hall or Gaming Room (assuming there will be one of those again this time) in between attending panels, socializing with people (if you are so inclined), and taking part in any other events/activities scheduled for the convention (like last year there was a Nerf tournament, a cosplay contest, a scavenger hunt thing, an MLP card game tournament, and an opportunity to stand in a long line and pay $20 for an autograph from a voice actor). Oh, and another thing, there will probably be concerts. Last year, there was a concert at the end of each of the first two nights, one was more of a dance, though, the other was more of a concert, like with actual bands playing. And on one of the days, there was an outdoor acoustic concert in the middle of the day which was also nice. 

hopefully as the day gets closer some people on here plan a meet up or something of that nature, though if you do go maybe we will bump into each other because your right its good to have a friend along for the ride it makes a lot of things better.  ^_^

Yeah, hopefully people on here plan some sort of meet up, that would be fun. If no one else does, I might start it; even if it's just us three, it'd still be fun!

Hi there Cork Top no problem about the old thread I still look here every once in a while any advice or info is much appreciated, thanks for the info it seems there are lots on neat and interesting stuff that I will have to check out a Nerf Tournament sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'm not really looking for stuff to buy at least nothing big like a plush but I'll come prepared you never know when something may catch your eye. 

Also in addition to Lyra and Rarity I'll be sporting a Sonata Dusk plush on my shoulder which I'm gonna get sign by Maryke Hendrikse so excited for that. 

Really looking forward to seeing what other guests will be attending along with Vincent and Maryke, quite a few of the voice actors/cast are located in Vancouver my fingers are crossed for Tabitha. 

Yeah, hopefully people on here plan some sort of meet up, that would be fun. If no one else does, I might start it; even if it's just us three, it'd still be fun!

Agreed, I think con is always better/fun when you got people with you, I'll keep checking back here every so often as the date gets closer for any info on meet ups but yeah I'm down for a meet up.

• Brohoof 1