Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather get rid of Valentine's Day or st Patrick's day?

Metallic Strings

St. Patricks day. We don't celebrate it in England

The vomit on the streets of almost every English town on the 18th speaks otherwise.

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle

I am tempted to say Valentines Day because it is great if you are actually seeing someone but if you are not it can be a rather unwelcome reminder of that fact. Valentines Day is supposedly a day where lovers are supposed to do special things for each other but shouldn't that be the case a bit more often than one day out of the year? I am not saying every day should be unlimited flowers and chocolates but it seems like a good relationship should be about the little things that show your loved one that you care and are thinking about them in addition to the occasional big thing. I am also tempted to say Saint Patricks Day because while it once had some meaning it is now little more than just another excuse to get hammered and I think people have more than enough reasons for that, I just wish fewer of them would decide to get behind the wheel when they are getting shit faced. On the other hand I like Corned Beef (without the cabbage though) so I guess my vote goes to Valentines Day.

Valentines Day. St Patrick's Day is something everyone can celebrate, but Valentines Day is for people with a special someone. You should show admiration and love for them year round, not on one day of 365.

• Brohoof 1

Boy, this is a tough one. On one hand we have a day set aside so that we can showcase how affectionate we are to a significant other. Gods forbid you do something spontaneous and extra lovely for your special one on any other day. ~and the other is a day to shout out how prideful we are for being born a certain percentile of something we had no choice in. 

Since I am a free man, and I only consider pride something which you earn by personal accomplishments; I'd get rid of both of them. It's nothing personal but given a choice I would; heck I don't celebrate either so to me, they have already been taken out to the curb. In the meantime, people should keep gushing over each other and get incredibly drunk because their great great uncles cousin was Irish.  American "holidays" are strange.  

Valentines. You only get to show the person you love affection 1 day out of the whole frickin year?

Though if I had it my way, I'd scrap Columbus Day. He started the genocide of millions of Native Americans. And he wasn't even the first one to discover America!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, daviddaviddavid said:

I don't celebrate either, so I don't mind if you get rid of them both.

Yea same here!

I don't even know who st Patrick, but I remember seeing all these holidays mentioned on The Muppet Show as a kid!

• Brohoof 3

Even as an Irishman, I'd still get rid of St. Patrick's. I understand that it's supposed to be part of our heritage, but really all it's become these days is an excuse for people to go out and get absolutely smashed whilst taking a day off of work. Even the parade itself has become more and more about pushing political and societal views than any sort of wholesome display of creativity. It just has little meaning now beyond a silly, worn-out tradition. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

I'd rather get rid of St. Patrick's day instead of Valentine's.  I like all the candy on Valentine's day, the after celebration sales on them makes treating yourself nice.  I refuse to get bitter about the holiday simply because I'm single, I think people can and should express more than just intimate love with others on the holiday.  Whether it be platonic, familial, whatever.  People should show their love for others on that day and I think it's silly that some people think it's only for couples, I blame all the commercialization of the holiday.

Valentines day, only because it's become a corruption of the holidays original intent: being with loved ones and embracing all forms of love, be they romantic, familial or platonic. at least St.Patrick's day can redouble as Irish appreciation day. I mean when else am I gonna get a corned beef sandwich and receive prizes for speed eating lucky charms?

In all honesty though, we're all aware of what holiday really needs to go:

Spoiler

Columbus day

We all know these guys found america first. 

1248e3ea65f274ab512c524abf7e4671--viking-warrior-viking-art.jpg

Valentine's day. Nothing agenst st. Valentine. Hate all the expectation to spend money l dont have to "prove" I love someone. You want proof, how about a roof overhead, cars, gas in said car, food in the fridge. All with me buying nothing for myself in years. 

I don't know which is worst, a day of nothing but dumb corny love or a day of dumb people getting drunk? In which both have completely forgotten the core meaning behind it. Which is it's a celebration of these saints feast's day; Saint Patrick and Saint Valentines. Saint Patrick encourage luck and fortune while Saint Valentines encourage love. 

Hmmm, love both, so that would be hard.

I love the hearts and aesthetics of Valentines Day, but my twin sisters have a birthday on Valentines Day, and they’re constantly teased by people about it that they avoid telling anyone. So if I got rid of it, they wouldn’t have to worry about it anymore.

But then again, I love the aesthetics of St. Patrick’s Day too! However, it’s less likely to be missed.

St. Patrick's Day. Not only is it stupid (I mean really most holidays are stupid, to varying degrees if I'm being honest), but it's also extremely pointless. Let the Irish Christians have their Saint Patrick's Day, let the other Christians have their Christmas and their Halloween as we already do with Lent and the like. Those are religious holidays, they don't belong on a national calendar. It's quite non-secular, and I personally strongly believe in the seperation of church and state... :dry: But of course the pledge, the national holidays, the lack of non-Christian presidents, among PLENTY of other things seem to prove that the United States is definitely not.

At least Valentine's Day is not a blatantly religious holiday. Plus, it is an extremely positive holiday celebrating love. Really, love is what kind of thing we should be celebrating, not some old Christian saint or some leprechaun on a rainbow with a pot of gold, or some old man that lived in the 7th century that we now use as a marketing scheme (which is utterly pathetic by the way, and Sinte Klauus would have had none of it).

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

• 2 years later...

As a person who lives near a major university and two community colleges

St Patrick’s Day

Easily. The litter, drunk college students, cops everywhere, car accidents from drunk driving. It’s extra craziness that we don’t need around here.