1. 1. What kind of artist are you?

• Digital Artist
    • Traditional Artist
    • Musician
    • Composer
    • Writer
    • Critic
    • I make noise.

Greetings, fellow musicians and pony lovers. I am Marcato; a composer, violinist, and hopefully all around resplendent person, and I want you to be in the Chaos and Harmony project. 

To explain a little more, me and a few other mostly-brony musicians have gathered together to work on a very large music project; an album if you will. This album is planned to revolve around two genres. Soundtrack/orchestral, and metal. (Yes, they can be mixed together.) Although that’s not all. My fellow musicians and I are very passionate about music, and we have extensive plans and goals we intend to meet for both our project and our futures in music. What we wish to accomplish, is to weave a story into our music, a powerful and emotional story, and to have that reflect through the instruments themselves. This story is a tale that’s become almost classic at this point; Equestria’s struggle against Discord, primarily of the princesses Celestia and Luna overthrowing him one thousand years before the events of the mane six.

Currently, we are a group of four musicians, going by the title or band name Aluminum. Among us are also some studio technicians, and other audio critics to help us out. However in order to accomplish our goal, we’re going to need much, much more.

For this project, we’re looking for musicians, voice actors, artists, and yes even writers! We want to ensure the greatest quality we can muster from our indie music skills, and create the closest thing we can to a masterpiece, and we want you folks to help us achieve it! If you would like to see more specifically what we’re looking for, scroll down to the “What we’re looking for” section.

A little about the project…

We are not a serious group of people. http://pastebin.com/WBVMYEF0

So far we’ve never been ones to care for limiting formats and methods, we just like to keep things organized to some extent and keep things casual. We generally try to keep away from deadlines and prefer to call them “goals” rather than deadlines that must be met, that way they remain flexible and stress-free.

A little about the album…

The album, as you know, revolves around the overthrowing of chaos, and the prevailing of harmony, hence the name “Chaos and Harmony.” It attempts to tell the story of Celestia and Luna’s rise to power, and their triumph over Discord, spirit of chaos. This story is not intended to be cannon, but rather a fictional interpretation and theory of what transpired before and around the events seen in Twilights flashback in the Season 4 pilot episodes.

Progress on the album itself is coming along quite well, given that it was really started three months ago. The concept for this album and project has been around for over two years now, but it wasn’t until recently that I and my fellow musicians finally acquired the skills needed to pull off this feat. Currently there are three tracks completely written, with the recordings having been started on one of them, and the layout of several others known. The album is planned to have a total of 13 tracks dedicated to the story, with a few unrelated bonus tracks also written and performed by the Aluminum group for a little extra content.

Track list:

Key:

[?] = Not written, not arranged

[!] = Not written, arranged

[*] = Being written

[R] = Written, ready for recording

1. [R] One Thousand Years Ago
  3. [!] Monarchs (Interlude)
  5. [!] The Celestial Banner
  7. [?] The Chaotic Banner (Interlude)
  9. [!] Depredation
  11. [?] Tree of Harmony (Interlude)
  13. [*] The Hope of Equestria
  15. [?] Stand Down (Interlude)
  17. [R] Chaos and Harmony
  19. [!] Liberation (Interlude)
  21. [?] Moonlight Crisis
  23. [!] Night Coda (Interlude)
  25. [?] Harmony
  27. [*] Where My Heart Resides (Bonus)
  29. [R] Countdown (Bonus)

A little about the Aluminum group/band…

Well I’ve already mostly explained who we are and what we’re doing, but to expand on us a little more, I’ll detail what our goals are for us as a group.

Most of us all plan on some day turning our passion for music into a profession one day, and only now has that dream truly become a reality with the work on this album. We’d all like to someday perform on stage, but that’s looking quite far ahead at the moment seeing as half of us are scattered across North America.

Current primary members of the band include:

·         Matthew “Marcato” on violin and vocals(?), composition

·         James “Ice Storm” on rhythm and/or lead guitar, composition

·         Drew “Normally Average” on drums

·         Dysen Katzel on bass

As a band, we are in fact looking for additional members, primarily a vocalists and another guitarist, with the possibility of a keyboardist being uncertain at the moment. But that brings me to the next topic!

What we’re looking for…

Spoiler'd for size...

We’re looking for just about any creative talent you could name. In fact, just about any talent you could name in general, creative or otherwise. We’re primarily looking for voice actors, singers and guest musicians (and potential band members), but we also need an artist or even multiple artists for our album and track art. In addition to that, we would really appreciate some help from musicians that know what they’re talking about, and can help give us some tips to mastering and executing the project.

To be more specific, we’re looking for:

·         *1BAND MEMBERS

o   Rhythm or lead guitarist [OPEN]

o   Lead female vocalist [OPEN]

·         Voice actors

o   Celestia [OPEN]

o   Luna [OPEN]

o   Discord [TAKEN] - King Mars

o   Narrator (Female?) [OPEN]

·         Singers

o   Celestia [OPEN]

o   Luna [OPEN]

o   Discord? [OPEN]

o   Backing vocalists [OPEN]

·         Other musicians and instrumentalists

o   Cellist [OPEN]

o   Pianist [OPEN]

o   *2Guest composer/arranger?? [OPEN]

o   *3Just about any other instrument you can play and record!

o   Proof-listeners and music critics/reviewers

·         Writers

o   Lyricists

o   Storytellers

o   Proof-readers

·         Artists

o   Cover artist [OPEN]

o   *4Track artists?

o   Graphic designers

·         Others

o   Social media managers

§  Facebook

§  Twitter

§  Youtube

§  Etc.

o   Quality assurance (Making sure there’s no mistakes anywhere)

o   Supporters? Hype? Yes, good please.

*1 – Very high standards. Must be able to dedicate large amounts of time to music, and seek a future in the music industry. We’re a passionate group of people, we’re looking for others who would fit into the group well.

*2 – Limited to one spot; high standards. Must have experience with music composition/arrangement.

*3 – We’re looking for just about any instrument. You play it well enough and we might just try to fit it in. We’re open to change and experimentation.

*4 – We might have individual album/cover art for each track, but only if there’s enough interest in the project.

How to apply or try for a position:

You can do one of the following: Reply to this thread, send me an email at marcatosound@gmail.com , or send me a private message, or contact me over Skype at destradiousmc, explaining what you’d like to try for and explaining your experience if you have any. If you can, provide an example of any past work of yours. We’ll add you to a list of people to contact and we’ll get you something from the album for your position of choice to do an audition with. Don’t be nervous, just do your best!

Applying for everything else:

You can use the same contact methods listed above, but just tell us your experience and give us an example if you can. We’ll probably contact you and try to get to know you a little more. Basically, if you’d like to offer your help at all we’d love to chat and figure something out. :P

Conclusion

WE NEED YOU.

PROBABLY.

So please, contact us! Even if you think you don’t have a shot, please just say something! If you don’t apply to join the project, then who will? Less people, that’s who. You never know, maybe you’ll even surprise yourself!

On a closing note, here’s a preview featuring live instruments of what we’ve got. (Minus vocals and narration.)

https://soundcloud.com/aluminumband/chaos-and-harmony-album-preview

Questions? Thoughts?  Concerns? We’d love to hear ‘em. Fire away! But first I'm going to bed. Because I am exhausted from a long day of music. I will respond on the morrow! 

Contact and find us at the following locations:

Twitter | Facebook | Youtube 

Okay you can stop taking me seriously now.

Implying you might have been before.

Woot woot?

• Brohoof 5

I wish I could help, honestly, but I have no equipment to do so. Well, I kiiiiinda do, but its a pain in the ass to set up.

If you need any niche spots filled though I wouldnt mind helping out. I currently arrange, write and compose digitally produced music. Some of the stuff I've made is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DorianStorm2/playlists

http://mlpforums.com...ften/?p=3263109

This piece here is one I made a few years back with the method I'll describe below. I know its blending isnt perfect, as is its long intro part, but it gives you an idea of what kind of sound quality I can get using my computer buffer

I sing and play both acoustic and electric guitar, I may not be good enough to play lead guitar but what I could do (If noone else offered/youre desperate) is I can connect my stratocaster into my modulating effects processor and then connect that via USB to my laptop and record my parts into a digital audio workshop, then send the files needed or whatnot.  What I don't have, though, is a microphone. Not a good one at least. I mean, my iphone's mic does the job for SOME things but professional music? Naw.

Check out my stuff, if there's a task I can help with I'm all for helping my fellow ponies make beautiful music

EDIT-Alternately, you can also feel free to use any of the songs I've already made in the first link, theres some epic sounding symphonic pieces in there that might fit

Edited by Aurelleah
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm...well I write orchestral/film score/electronic music...and play (bluegrass) banjo...I kinda would like to help. :)

I mean...if that's okay with you. XD

Edit: My Music...just in case: https://soundcloud.com/doc-monochrome

Hey, I really like some of this stuff... particularly the "Ponified" track. It reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from the Portal games. (Fantastic games...) You've got some good progression and well mastered/balanced effects. 

Hmm... and banjo... not sure how well we can fit that into an album as serious-toned as Chaos and Harmony, but I think I recall bluegrass not being your stereotypical bouncing banjo. 

Either way I'm keeping you in contact, not only as a critic and reviewer, but as another musician that covers a niche I'm not so familiar with but have a great interest in. I have always loved the concept of mixing electronic with orchestra, so we'll definitely have to keep in touch...

I wish I could help, honestly, but I have no equipment to do so. Well, I kiiiiinda do, but its a pain in the ass to set up.

If you need any niche spots filled though I wouldnt mind helping out. I currently arrange, write and compose digitally produced music. Some of the stuff I've made is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DorianStorm2/playlists

http://mlpforums.com...ften/?p=3263109

This piece here is one I made a few years back with the method I'll describe below. I know its blending isnt perfect, as is its long intro part, but it gives you an idea of what kind of sound quality I can get using my computer buffer

[snip]

I sing and play both acoustic and electric guitar, I may not be good enough to play lead guitar but what I could do (If noone else offered/youre desperate) is I can connect my stratocaster into my modulating effects processor and then connect that via USB to my laptop and record my parts into a digital audio workshop, then send the files needed or whatnot.  What I don't have, though, is a microphone. Not a good one at least. I mean, my iphone's mic does the job for SOME things but professional music? Naw.

Check out my stuff, if there's a task I can help with I'm all for helping my fellow ponies make beautiful music

EDIT-Alternately, you can also feel free to use any of the songs I've already made in the first link, theres some epic sounding symphonic pieces in there that might fit

Hey give yourself a little more credit! There's some nice guitar stuff in there, some nice chord progressions and overall a nice sounding solo guitar. We may have use for an acoustic guitar, and we're plenty open to guest musicians. I'd also like to put you on the list of critics as someone to send our stuff to for some feedback as the album is worked on. 

• Brohoof 1

Hey, I really like some of this stuff... particularly the "Ponified" track. It reminds me a lot of the soundtrack from the Portal games. (Fantastic games...) You've got some good progression and well mastered/balanced effects.

Hmm... and banjo... not sure how well we can fit that into an album as serious-toned as Chaos and Harmony, but I think I recall bluegrass not being your stereotypical bouncing banjo.

Either way I'm keeping you in contact, not only as a critic and reviewer, but as another musician that covers a niche I'm not so familiar with but have a great interest in. I have always loved the concept of mixing electronic with orchestra, so we'll definitely have to keep in touch...

Hehe...well I did do some work for a Portal mod in the past so that may explain some of it...XD thanks. :)

It was a suggestion. Hehe. XD I could experiment here and there and see what happens at least...hehe. :)

Okay then! Look forwards to hearing from ya!

Edited by Doc Monochrome
  • Brohoof 1

Lyricists~~~I'm very good at writing in general, especially songs.

·       

Artists

o   Cover artist [OPEN]

o   *4Track artists?

o   Graphic designers

I've been drawing ever since I could draw X3 I draw mostly ponies and wolves. So I hopefully can be of some use? :D

I'm a trumpet player, and I would love to make music and be a part of this project. But... I'm only in high school. I don't think I would be skilled enough (seeing that I have issues with intonation).

Do you have anymore information about this. I'm kinda interested in what you guys are doing :)

EDIT: ohh wait, Marcato, you're 17 too. So, I'll guess I'll join. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to composition, so it'll be a learning experience.

Haha, no worries about age here, we just want talent and passion. :P The real question is can you record your trumpet? If you have the ability to record your trumpet and for it to sound good, we might be able to fit it in. I'm all game for trying new things.

If you mean studio quality, then no.  All I have is some lame recording programs like Audacity and my Iphone.

Well what about your microphone? What have you got for that? The quality of your microphone is what really makes or breaks it. I too use Audacity myself when mixing mastering and recording.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to join up. I am a pianist, I'm good at reading music, but not so good at composing it. My keyboard is a Roland 4F.

Here is a cover of Fur Elise just because I only recently got a audio recorder. https://soundcloud.com/ivory-dreamer/fur-elise

I can also play Jarrod Radnich level complexity.

What do you say?

Well well, not bad! I like it! You're definitely quite a good pianist, and the piano sounds alright too. I think it could use some audio mastering, but we can provide that I think.

Not that this will make or break anything, but can you play music by ear? Also, can you improvise or spice/touch-up existing music, or do you just purely read sheet music?

Looks like you've got piles of musicians willing to help, but I'd love to offer my services if you want them. I play the Irish whistle, which can fit into the orchestral mega-genre. Here's a sample of my skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F_oOZEjkcA

Yeah, I know it could have been a bit better recorded and arranged, I've been thinking of redoing it. I can offer advice on compositions for this instrument, but I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to actually compose myself.

• Brohoof 2

I'd love to be a part of this. I've sent a request over Skype. I play guitar primarily (I can play most songs, including solos) and I also do some compositions. I don't have any of my good or new stuff online, and most of it is still in progress. I could show you some samples of my work and skill over Skype though. Once again, I'd love to be a part of this.

Not that this will make or break anything, but can you play music by ear? Also, can you improvise or spice/touch-up existing music, or do you just purely read sheet music?

I can play a little by ear, but for the most part I read sheet music. I can improvise a bit, and touching up music is something I could do.

I can probably fill the lead and or rhythm guitarist.

Would you care to expand a little more on your past experience or give a sample of what you've done before? I'd like to know a little more about you and your playing if you can provide.

I can play a little by ear, but for the most part I read sheet music. I can improvise a bit, and touching up music is something I could do.

Alrighty, could be a good experience for the rest of us in writing sheet music, though you've got some competition in the piano spot you should know! I'll get back to you as I find out more this weekend, after I talk to a few other folks that are trying out some of their instruments.

I'd love to be a part of this. I've sent a request over Skype. I play guitar primarily (I can play most songs, including solos) and I also do some compositions. I don't have any of my good or new stuff online, and most of it is still in progress. I could show you some samples of my work and skill over Skype though. Once again, I'd love to be a part of this.

I've gotten your contact request and would love to chat sometime this weekend! Today I'm already fully booked, but I'm totally available tomorrow pretty much all day.

Looks like you've got piles of musicians willing to help, but I'd love to offer my services if you want them. I play the Irish whistle, which can fit into the orchestral mega-genre. Here's a sample of my skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F_oOZEjkcA

Yeah, I know it could have been a bit better recorded and arranged, I've been thinking of redoing it. I can offer advice on compositions for this instrument, but I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to actually compose myself.

Woah. Okay. I'm sold. That *is* perfect. We're looking for something exactly like that celtic sound for the earth ponies and for the rest of ancient equestria. I also know another project I might be able to get you in on that's looking for the same style as well that I'm a part of... details on Skype, I'll explain there. ;)

Would you care to expand a little more on your past experience or give a sample of what you've done before? I'd like to know a little more about you and your playing if you c

I've played for 5 years on and off, Mainly acoustic but can play electric but I can only read tabs due to my horrible eyes sight and guitar teacher. I currently have no samples but I can hopefully record one and post it to YouTube or something.

Alrighty, could be a good experience for the rest of us in writing sheet music, though you've got some competition in the piano spot you should know! I'll get back to you as I find out more this weekend, after I talk to a few other folks that are trying out some of their instruments. 

Okay Marcato, sounds good.

• 4 weeks later...

Matthew, I just want to let you know I am hyped for this project. I can't really contribute much, but one thing I could do if you so wished would be to read/review lyrics. Or possibly even write some. I have experience writing poetry and have occasionally written what would be lyrics to songs if I could actually play any instruments (one day.....), but my inexperience (well, inability) with writing music might hinder my songwriting ability (though I don't think it will, at least not very much). If you want to see some of the things I've written, I could show you some.... (But if you don’t need any more lyric-writers, that’s cool too. I shall wait hyped and patiently for this project regardless.) (I need to stop using brackets so much)

Also, I would offer to voice act but it looks like the only roles left are females. And I really don't know how well I would do anyways; I have acting experience, but not much voice acting experience (well, I guess acting in a play technically includes acting with a voice, so I guess if you count that...). And I don't personally think my voice sounds very ponyish (if that's a thing (and not just me coming up with another excuse why I wouldn't be a good voice-actor because I'm too shy to try it)). But I'm just putting this out there on the small off-chance that you'll have a minor male voice part and not care much about how the voice sounds as long as the person can act.

And if nothing else, I'd always be up for hearing unfinished versions of songs and giving what feedback I can on them.

Sorry for posting this like a month after the thread was started—I did see this a couple weeks ago but wanted to think about it before responding, and then I kind of forgot about it and then just remembered today.

Edited by Cork Top