Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Summerslam 95

This Summerslam returns to Pennsylvania. This time in Pittsburgh at the old Igloo. First off, the stuff with Dean Douglas, I'm not so sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea to portray a teacher gimmick as a heel. I wonder what Twilight or Cheerilee would think of that.  The 123 Kid/Hakushi was a very good opener. It was also setting up a Hakushi face turn and a future 123 Kid heel turn. HHH/Bob Holly was relatively solid. Both would be groomed for better things down the line. The Smoking Gunns/Blu Twins (Harris Twins before they were Russo's henchmen) match although decent, should have been something else like Yokozuna and Owen Hart defending the Tag Titles against one of the two or maybe a three way tag match, Or how about the Allied Powers break up match with fresh heel British Bulldog defeating Lex Luger. The Barry Horowitz/Skip match was surprisingly good as well. Just because one's usually a jobber doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to a glorious moment every now and then. The Alundra/Bertha match was certainly a drop from the previous year's women's championship match. The casket match between Taker and Kama was actually the Undertaker's first decent Summerslam match after two relatively bad ones. The Bret/Yankem was rather solid considering how green the future Kane was at the time. One thing I never understood was that when Lawler got himself involved in the match, they never said that he was relieved of his announcing duties for the remainder of the show. but that's what happened with Dok Hendrix taking over for the last two matches. The HBK/Razor Ladder Match rematch was clearly the match of the night and perhaps the best WWF match of 1995. I applaud both wrestlers in this, even though I STILL have distain towards Shawn for his politicking, he clearly was the right choice to go over in this match. Unfortunately perhaps the worst main event in the history of Summerslam. Diesel VS Mabel. The less said about it the better.

To be honest Summerslam 1995 was what was considered a good show during a bad time. 

What did you think of Summerslam 95

Tomorrow I will do Summerslam 96

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 96

This Summerslam is a mere 2 hours from Pittsburgh in Cleveland at the Gund Arena (Now called the Quicken Loans Arena). For the Owen/Savio match. I say this should have been Owen Hart vs Ahmed Johnson for the Intercontinental Championship with Owen Hart winning the gold. The match itself what solid as Clarence Mason came down instead of Jim Cornette. I'll explain this in a bit. The 4 way tag title match was dull. The tag division was in a slump at this point until next month when Bulldog and Owen would win the titles from the Gunns. Speaking of the Bulldog. His match with Sid was basically a squash match for Sid. Bulldog would have won if not for Clarence Mason and Jim Cornette's arguing outside. But what it probably should have led to was Bulldog blaming Cornette for the loss, powerslamming him and turning face. But in either way Bulldog and Owen time under Cornette's management is running out. Sid had to win it anyway, he was so over at this point. The Goldust/Mero was a little long and just okay. The Lawler/Jake Roberts match was just a humiliation, nothing else. Though Mark Henry's unofficial WWF debut is very noteworthy. Who knew he'd have a lengthy run in the WWE. Things pick up with the Boiler Room Brawl. The stuff inside the boiler room had practically no commentary so I chose to provide my own. Paul Bearer's betrayal of the Undertaker and joining Mankind was a shocker for sure. So far the Undertaker's best match at Summerslam. And now the Main Event. Shawn Michaels VS Vader, although the best match of the night by a long shot, should have been with Vader winning the match and the WWF Championship. But HBK being the crybaby politician that he was, had a hissy fit before the show and had it changed so he would retain, thus killing Vader's momentum. If I were booking I would have told Shawn to shut up and do as he's told and take away Shawn's creative control clause. Have I made my point about how much I hate Shawn Michaels for his backstage shenanigans. Not bashing his athleticism and talent. Just don't like the attitude he had back then.

Not a memorable Summerslam, but I wouldn't call it the worst. In order for it to have been better, I would have had it be Owen/Ahmed, Austin/Yoko on the show, Jake/HHH with HHH going over, and have Vader winning the WWF title. 

What did you think of Summerslm 96.

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 97.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, BrawnyCharger said:

Things pick up with the Boiler Room Brawl. The stuff inside the boiler room had practically no commentary so I chose to provide my own. Paul Bearer's betrayal of the Undertaker and joining Mankind was a shocker for sure. So far the Undertaker's best match at Summerslam.

Also turned Undertaker into a Woobie -- especially when the Druids carried him out (even after the betrayal, they were still by his side ( :( )).

• Brohoof 3

Summerslam 97

For the tenth Summerslam, they return to the New York area at the Meadowlands Arena (which was called the Continental Airlines Arena by this point.). On the old Coliseum Video, It started off with the playing of the National Anthem. I assume it was to add heat to the US VS Canada feud which revolved around the Hart Foundation. The "Life Isn't Fair" vignette is one of my favorite intros. The Mankind/HHH steel cage opener is the third steel cage match in Summerslam history, Chyna's choking Mankind through the cage is one of the things that is somewhat missed about the grid cage. It couldn't be done in a chain link cage. Mankind's Superfly tribute was exciting. The match as a whole was one of the better Summerslam openers. The Goldust/Brian Pillman match was solid. It's also sad that this was Brian Pillman's only Summerslam match as he would pass away months later. :(  The LOD/Godwins match was okay. The Bulldog/Shamrock match for the European Championship was pretty good. It was a DQ finish but I think it was the right move. Bulldog keeps the European Championship, While Ken Shamrock establishes his character as "The World's Most Dangerous Man". The Los Boricuas/DOA match was the only bad match and even that wasn't too bad. Now for the infamous Austin/Owen for the Intercontinental Championship. People tend to forget that prior to the botched piledriver, the match was actually a great one. But regardless of the fact that this practically shortened Austin's career, I forgive Owen Hart. Now for the Main event. Bret Hart VS Undertaker for the WWF Championship with Shawn Michaels as the special guest referee. This had two storylines overlapping, the eventual debut of Kane, and the Shawn/Bret feud. The match itself was very exciting and perhaps the best match of the night. This also surpasses the Boiler Room Brawl from the previous year as Taker's best match. That inadvertent chair shot by HBK to the Undertaker sets up the next feud and Bret Hart ties Hulk Hogan for most WWF Championship reigns at the time. This is also the moment in which the Hart Foundation had peaked as this would be the last major great moment for the Hart Foundation.

Overall this was a great Summerslam. Another personal favorite. Also quite underrated if you ask me. Everything that happens here causes a ripple effect that would lead to the Attitude Era. 

What did you think of Summerslam 97

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 98

• Brohoof 1

Summerslam 98

For the first Summerslam of the Attitude Era, it heads back across the Hudson River and returns to Madison Square Garden for it's third Summerslam. And like what I said with 88 and 89, you are more than likely to get a number of the same audience members as the previous year. The D-Lo/Val Venis opener was actually a very good match. These two were such underrated talents. The Oddities/Kaientai was a typical Russo mess. It didn't have that high of hopes anyway. The X-Pac/Jarrett match was a fun match. It was fun seeing Double J getting his hair clipped. Plus, say what you will about X-Pac, but he was a good worker. The mixed tag match was pretty good. Edge's PPV debut and the start of Edge's Hall of Fame career. The Lions Den Match between Ken Shamrock and Owen Hart was also a great match. It made sense to have Shamrock go over here, because Owen had won the Dungeon match last month. Shamrock was one of the better workers in the Attitude Era. And despite having a down year, Owen could still give a great match. A shame this would be his last Summerslam.:(  The Handicap Tag Team match between Mankind and the Outlaws was a gutsy match by Mick Foley although not great, not too bad. Now the best match of the night for sure was the Triple H/Rock Ladder match for the Intercontinental Championship. Triple H won the title, while the Rock won the respect of the fans. It also established the future top face and heel throughout the Attitude Era. Now for the Main Event. The Undertaker challenges Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF Championship. Certainly a good match, but these two would have better matches. 

Summerslam 98 was a superb show. One of the best Summerslams ever. Only one bad match and workrate wise everything else clicked. Shows you that you can have a good PPV during the Attitude Era, Just so long as you keep Vince Russo in line. 

What did you think of Summerslam 98

Tommorrow I review Summerslam 99

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 99

This Summerslam returns to the Midwest in the home of the former AWA, Minneapolis, Minnesota at the Target Center. The Jarrett/D-Lo opener for both the European and Intercontinental Championships was basically a prime example of the Jeff Jarrett-Vince Russo friendship. The match itself was solid but I would have preferred Jarrett going in as IC champion and defending it against Chris Jericho with Jericho winning the title. As for D-Lo Brown I would have had Mark Henry turn on him before Summerslam and have it be D-Lo Brown vs Mark Henry for the European title and Mark Henry winning his first WWF strap. The Tag Team Turmoil match was solid. It builds up Edge and Christian as a tag team. The Hardcore Title match was okay, Although the storyline still had Vince Russo all over it. The Ivory/Tori match was bad. The Lion's Den weapons match although not as good as the previous years, was still relatively good. They never specified what how to win the match. just no pinfalls or submissions. It's also was the last PPV match for Ken Shamrock. It's a shame. I thought he was one of the better workers of the Attitude Era. The Test/Shane ties for the best match of the night. The Match was good but not great. Too much Mean Street Posse interference. Plus I didn't care for the Test/Stephanie relationship at all. But then again you know who was writing this show. The Taker/Big Show VS Kane/X-Pac I have quite a few complaints about booking wise. I never cared for Ministry Taker, nor the alliances between Taker/Big Show nor Kane/X-Pac. I wouldn't have jobbed X-Pac out in his home town of Minneapolis. Taker was battling through injuries that he needed to heal from, so crowning him a Tag champion will only add to his injury problems. Other than that the match was solid. The "Kiss My Ass" match was pretty boring. The Rock has had better feuds. Now for the main event. The build up for it was very confusing but I'm not too surprised. The match itself was the other best match of the night. I thought it was cool to have Jesse Ventura return to referee the main event. I'd say that his style of officiating was somewhat different from when he officiated the Mega Powers VS Mega Bucks match back in 1988 at the inaugural Summerslam. Back then he seemed to be more on the side of Andre and DiBiase. Here he's more harshly pro face in this match. So I guess it made sense for Mankind to win the match anyway. Triple H would win it for the first time the next night on Raw.

Overall although the show from an in ring standpoint was good, I don't care for the way it was booked. I think Summerslam 1999 suffers from too much Russo. In order for it to have been a great Summerslam I think the majority of the show needs a rebooking. I'd say Jericho/Jarrett for the IC title, Henry/D-Lo for the European Title, X-Pac/Billy Gunn with X-Pac winning. Brothers of Destruction vs Big Show/Mankind with the latter winning, and Rock VS Triple H VS Austin for the WWF title. In 1999, although ratings and business was booming, The actual shows from a booking and in ring standpoint seemed way too crazy and doesn't hold up well. Thank Celestia that this was Vince Russo's last Summerslam. 

What did you think of Summerslam 99.

Tommorrow I do Summerslam 2000.

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 2000

The first Summerslam of the new millennium does somewhat of a breach of pattern as it holds it's first Slam in the Southeast region at the Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina. The RTC VS Rikishi/Too Cool was a weak opener. But it did establish the new most hated heel faction for the remainder of 2000. X-Pac/Road Dogg was relatively short and symbolized another end of DX until it's many revivals. The mixed tag match for the IC title was okay. Though with all due respect to Chyna, I probably would have had Eddie win the title. I don't know why, but that's what I would have preferred. The Lawler/Tazz was essentially a slap in the face of the ECW fanbase. Things pick up with the Blackman/Shane Hardcore title match. Shane's fall was shocking and the match itself was solid. Could have used a little less of Test and Albert though. The Benoit/Jericho 2/3 falls match was great. Very intense. The TLC match stole the show. It was a spotfest throughout the match. Although I wish that the Hardy Boyz had won in their home state of North Carolina. A fun fact is that Edge even suggested that the Hardys win the match. Goes to show that Edge is certainly not like certain backstage politicians such as HBK, Nash, or Hogan. The next two matches were DUD's Taker and Kane have had better matches. Now for the main event. The Rock Vs Triple H Vs Kurt Angle. The match was solid but could have been better if not for Kurt Angle's concussion.

This Summerslam is pretty overrated if you ask me. The TLC and the Benoit/Jericho were excellent but the rest weren't quite as good. Don't get me wrong this was a good Summerslam. But there are better Slams before and after this one. 

What did you think of Summerslam 2000

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 2001

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, A.V. said:

Speaking of The Ministry, I know what we're all thinking:

My favorite J.R. moment because, it sounded legit. ^_^

Edited by Sparklefan1234

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

It's amazing wrestlers can do that without injuring the recipient's neck. :o

They are trained very well to avoid injury of their opponents, but injuries do happen. Still, that is one heck of a springboard hurricanrana.

Edited by Penguinbrony24
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Penguinbrony24 said:

They are trained very well to avoid injury of their opponents, but injuries do happen. Still, that is one heck of a springboard hurricanrana.

This is true. I'm just amazed that the quickness of the "snap" of the springboard hurricanrana didn't injure Ricochet's neck.

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 2001

The first Summerslam after the Monday Night Wars, and the first Summerslam of the Invasion angle. It's Summerslam's first show on the west coast at the Compaq Center (Better known as the Shark Tank) in San Jose. The Edge/Lance Storm opener for the Intercontinental Championship was good. After two unremarkable IC title matches at Summerslam, we get a good one again. Lance Storm is an underrated talent. For the Dudleys/Test Vs APA/Spike Dudley, first off let me say that I'm not exactly in favor of Test joining the Alliance. I've always said this about the nWo. It should only have consisted of wrestlers who were made into stars by the WWF prior to the nWo angle. I believe that if a WWF Superstar wants to defect over to the Alliance, they have to have worked for WCW and/or ECW at some point in their careers. Same thing with Alliance wrestlers joining the WWF. The match itself was decent. The X-Pac/Tajiri Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight unifying match was okay. The Jericho/Rhyno was exciting. The RVD/Jeff Hardy Ladder match for the Hardcore title is a possible MOTN candidate. Although not quite "hardcore" as there were no other weapons then the ladder itself. It was still a great match from an actual ladder match standpoint. Rob Van Dam was getting over with the WWE crowd very quickly. Now the show takes a major dip. The Brothers of Destruction VS DDP/Kanyon cage match. This is the fourth steel cage match in Summerslam history not counting the two Lions Den matches. This is the first Summerslam with a chain link steel cage after the last three had the classic blue bar cage. For the match and the storyline. Do I even NEED to explain how wrong it was on so many levels? The WWF Championship match between Kurt Angle and Stone Cold Steve Austin is the other candidate for MOTN. The DQ screwjob kind of makes sense. They wanted Kurt Angle to win back the WWF title at Unforgiven in his hometown of Pittsburgh. Now for the Main Event between The Rock and Booker T for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. The match was at good at the very least. 

This was a very good Summerslam. And to be honest, One of the better Invasion angle PPV's. A majority of the matches delivered.

What did you think of Summerslam 2001.

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 2002.

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 2002

The first Summerslam under the WWE name, of the Ruthless Aggression Era, and under the Raw/Smackdown brand split. It also returns to the New York area, but this time it's on Long Island at Nassau Coliseum. The opener between Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio was exciting. The Flair/Jericho had somewhat high expectations, but it was solid enough. The Edge/Eddie was great. The Un-Americans VS Booker T/Goldust was solid. Personally I think the Hart Foundation was the better faction. Not taking anything away from Christian and Lance Storm of course. The RVD/Benoit for the Intercontinental Championship was great once again giving value into the title at Summerslam. The Taker/Test match was good for what it was. Now the HBK/Triple H unsanctioned street fight. No question about it. Match of the night, Greatest comeback match, You name it. Now for the Main Event. Brock Lesnar VS The Rock for the WWE Undisputed Championship. Great match. Better moment. Brock Lesnar winning the Undisputed title from the Rock. Signifying the phasing out of the Attitude Era and the establishment of the Ruthless Aggression Era.

To paraphrase Rainbow Dash: Best....Summerslam.....EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you think of Summerslam 2002.

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 2003.

• Brohoof 2

Summerslam 2003

This Summerslam makes it's first appearance in the Southwest at the America West Arena in Phoenix, Arizona. It opens with Lillian Garcia singing the national anthem, I assume it was due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The opener between La Resistance and the Dudley Boys for the World Tag Titles was weak. Afterwards there was a backstage segment with Christian (who was Intercontinental Champion at the time) complaining to Eric Bischoff about not having been booked in a match that night. I say he has a justifiable claim there. But I'll get to that in a bit.  Anyway, Taker/A-Train was back to the basic Undertaker vs Monster heel feuds that he had to put up with before. "sigh" All I can say about the Shane/Bischoff match is that there are better match ups they could be having in this spot than this abomination. In fact, I've said before the that the IC title has had a certain tradition at Summerslam with it either changing hands or being a highlight of the show. Why not have it be Christian/Booker T for the IC title that night in place of the Shane/Bischoff? The show begins to pick up with the Fatal Four-Way for the U.S. Championship. The moment where Eddie had the Lasso from El Passo on Tajiri and Benoit had the Crippler Crossface on Rhyno at the same time was a neat little moment. The WWE Championship between Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar, The match of the night by far. Not sure if it's better than their Wrestlemania encounter but it's pretty close. For the Kane VS Rob Van Dam No Holds Barred fight. Let me say right off the bat that the unmasked heel Kane is perhaps the best rendition of his character. The match was okay. Now for the Main Event. Elimination Chamber match between Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, and Goldberg for the World Heavyweight Championship. First off it should be noted that half of these participants are Kliq members. In the past, Nash and Michaels would have been considered the worst in terms of backstage politics. But here. It's Triple H who's the guilty one as he retains the World title. The match is solid. But Bill Goldberg should have won the title here at Summerslam. Granted. Goldberg would win the title at Unforgiven the following month. But this effectively killed his momentum in the WWE. 

This Summerslam was just average with clearly the Smackdown brand getting the duke here. Just change the outcome of the Elimination Chamber and swap out the Shane/Bischoff with a Christian/Booker T match for the IC title and the show would have been much better.

What did you think of Summerslam 2003

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 2004

• Brohoof 2

https://de.yahoo.com/sports/news/bewegende-wrestling-rückkehr-hirnblutung-140200250.html

Shibatas return made it onto yahoo germany news.

It's really interesting considering they barely make any news about wrestling, let alone anything outside WWE. :)

• Brohoof 3

Summerslam 2004

This is the first Summerslam in Canada as it takes place at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The 6-Man opener was solid. The "Till Death Do Us Part" match was meh. But the storyline is best forgotten about. The backstage promo between Randy Orton and John Cena just may have been the very first spark in their long and intense rivalry in years to come. And speaking of Cena, his Summerslam debut match against Booker T in Match 1 of a best of 5 series for the US Championship was I think too short to be that good. One thing I always liked was when he would come out wearing throwback jerseys of teams of the city they were in. For the 3 way match between Edge, Batista, and Jericho for the Intercontinental Championship feels very weird. Although I'm for hometown victories, and I'm glad that Edge won, The crowd was booing Edge throughout. I guess that this would eventually lead to Edge's Rated R Superstar character and main event status. The Angle/Eddie match was good but their Wrestlemania encounter was better.  The Triple H/Eugene was more suited for a Raw PPV than Summerslam. The WWE Championship between JBL and Undertaker was pretty bad. JBL wasn't fit to be champion. Eddie Guerrero should have held it longer. Now for the Main Event. Chris Benoit VS Randy Orton for the World Heavyweight Championship. I kind of have mixed feelings about this. The match was great. But I kind of felt that the reason they had Randy Orton win the title was to take a potshot at Brock Lesnar. Admittedly I liked Chris Benoit's reign as World Champion back then. At the same time this launched Randy Orton's status as a main eventer in the years to follow.

This is one of my least favorite Summerslams. It felt too much like a non big four PPV. The booking wasn't all that good and I thought the fans were rather odd that night.

What did you think of Summerslam 2004.

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 2005.

Edited by BrawnyCharger
  • Brohoof 2

Now I know the big news everyone wants to talk about. But I'm not done watching the last 3 days of the G1, so discussing the winner will have to wait.  

Until then, have some South Paw Regional Wrestling season 2. 

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Until then, have some South Paw Regional Wrestling season 2. 

My thoughts below

Spoiler

The first set of SPRW shorts were a lot funnier, IMO.

The only thing I thought was funny this time around were the segments with Chad 2 Bad & Tex Ferguson. 

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

My thoughts below

Hide contents

The first set of SPRW shorts were a lot funnier, IMO.

The only thing I thought was funny this time around were the segments with Chad 2 Bad & Tex Ferguson. 

Why are we spoiling this? We're not giving away anything. Anyways I thought they were pretty funny all around. But I do agree that it does seem a bit forced and overproduced at times. Maybe a bit too polished for an 80's parody. Still worth a watch though. 

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Why are we spoiling this?

Just trying to be nice, I guess.

I've learned over time that some people don't like spoilers no matter how insignificant they might seem to me.

Edited by Sparklefan1234