Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Mania/raw spoilers

Spoiler

Let's see if I got this right.

-Nicholas, the son of ref. Nick Patrick Sr. Just became the youngest champ in wrestling history not working for DDT. Then has to vacate the titles? (the cruelty of the school system strikes again)

-charlotte snaps asuka's 30 month undefeated streak. 

-styles retains against nakamura. Then shinsuke turns heel for the first time in 6 years. 

-lesnar retains. Crowd hated the match. Roman is still an unconvincing good guy. 

-months of hype for Cena/taker results in a 5 minnute squash where Cena doesn't kick out at 2. 

Rusev day still isn't getting the respect it deserves. 

-half of NXT debuts, including ember moon, AoP and Adam ro- i mean No way Jose. 

-Lashley is back. 

What an odd weekend. WM was both shocking and mediocre. The only stand out matches for me were the IC title match and Ronda's debut. Everything else was either underwhelming, rushed or a surprise for the sake of it.

I'll check out SD when I get home. Still have to watch NXT and ROH too.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Mania/raw spoilers

Hide contents

Let's see if I got this right.

-Nicholas, the son of ref. Nick Patrick Sr. Just became the youngest champ in wrestling history not working for DDT. Then has to vacate the titles? (the cruelty of the school system strikes again)

-charlotte snaps asuka's 30 month undefeated streak. 

-styles retains against nakamura. Then shinsuke turns heel for the first time in 6 years. 

-lesnar retains. Crowd hated the match. Roman is still an unconvincing good guy. 

-months of hype for Cena/taker results in a 5 minnute squash where Cena doesn't kick out at 2. 

Rusev day still isn't getting the respect it deserves. 

-half of NXT debuts, including ember moon, AoP and Adam ro- i mean No way Jose. 

-Lashley is back. 

What an odd weekend. WM was both shocking and mediocre. The only stand out matches for me were the IC title match and Ronda's debut. Everything else was either underwhelming, rushed or a surprise for the sake of it.

I'll check out SD when I get home. Still have to watch NXT and ROH too.

-To be fair, Nicholas was also a Make A Wish kid

-I like how Asuka was cool with losing to Charlotte, I was fully expecting a heel turn

-Nakamura's heel turn, following SmackDown, is now my favourite thing

-What do you expect? Lesnar clearly doesn't care about doing this

-I'm always down for Cena getting squashed, though I think it's a build up to something... I don't know what, but something

-Rusev Day will never die

-I'm always happy to see No Way Jose

-BIG BOY BOBBY

Quick SmackDown spoilers

Paige has returned as SmackDown's new GM!

:wub:

Carmella cashed in her briefcase, she's the new women's champion. #Fabulous

1 hour ago, A.V. said:

@Unicorncob When did this whole "Rusev Day!" thing get started, anyway?

I think it slowly built up when Aiden English started tagging with Rusev last fall and slowly built up from there. Actual Rusev day stuff may have started a month or two ago. 

Funny how little things like an athletic big man, a charismatic tag partner with a singing gimmick, and subtly meme worthy piece of merch combined to create a naturally popular attraction. 

Meaning WWE will try to kill it in the next month since it's not in their script. 

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Smackdown After WrestleMania Spoilers

Hide contents

I've never seen The IIconics (Billie Kay & Peyton Royce) compete, are they jobbers or what?

Spoiler

Actually they were the most popular women on NXT not named Ember Moon. Doing some rather good heel work down there. 

And yes I finally watched Smackdown

Spoiler

Holy s:mellow:t. For the first time in 15 years, we got Bryan Danielson vs. AJ Styles. The American Dragon vs. The Phenomenal one. And for what little we all saw, it delivered. Yeah, too bad Shinsuke interfered, but what better way to get heat then crash a dream match and attack two of the most beloved wrestlers in the company? 

Also, good match from the New Day and The Uso's. Much better than their mania match. 

Oh, fun fact: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Minoru Suzuki and Kazuchika Okada were all in the audience for Mania. Could you imagine Braun Strowman picking one of them as his tag partner? 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

And yes I finally watched Smackdown

Spoiler

I consider her "Meh-ber Moon", TBH. (Lame, I know. :lie:)

I mean, aside from her top rope stunner I don't see the big deal with her.

(I blame WWE 2K18 for my opinion on Ember.)

That said, I'm waiting for Kairi Sane to get called up to go to either Raw or Smackdown. 

Also, Nicholas is WWE Referee John Cone's son not former WCW Referee Nick Patrick's son. :)

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I still don't understand  why they had to make a 4th grader..... A 4th  grader Strowman's  partner. They weren't expecting us to take that seriously right? I just find it odd that they didn't just team him with lashley or Samoa Joe. Those guys make sense but that, makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, one last thing how long will it take before both Owens and zayn get hired back? I give it to the superstar shake Up. There's no other way watch they'll both be back.....somehow 

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

So, it's been a week. Plenty of time to get caught up. And enough time to compose a half decent review of last weekends major shows. 

Think we can all agree that out of all the major shows that went down, wrestlemania was actually the weakest. It couldn't even surpass it's own raw and smack down, let lone ring of honor and nxt. 

Seems pretty clear that Takeover: NOLA won out in terms of match quality and story. ROH would be the runners up, hosting their first ever sold out arena show, managing to do WCW numbers in attendance.

However it became clear that ROH lack the know how on running such a big event. They pulled a mania 18/25 in which the title match went on last, over the match everyone paid to see (cody/omega). ROH's production budget also seemed to be stretched pretty thin. They had a nice stage and tron set up, but everything else looked rather bush league. From the crooked ring ropes to the announce table actually being a luggage crate. Sinclair needs to up ROH's budget, since they are now the defacto runner up wrestling company in the U.S. There was also the issue of repititon (table spots every other match) and a rather sloppy finale to their women's tornament. 

It wasn't a bad show. We had great matches. The 6 man tag ladder match was on par, if not arguibly better than NXT's own 6 way ladder bout. Kota ibushi vs. Adam Paige stole the show. Punishment Martinez vs. Tomohiro Ishii was a great big man bout. The co-main events were alright. And there's now a ton of intreague after the cody/omega event. 

There was plenty of other action that weekend, shows from Britain's RPW and Progress, up and comers Evolve, the first ever TNA vs. Lucha Underground show, and plenty of other wrestling craziness over last weekend that I still need catching up on.

Does anyone know what Asuka's "The Empress of Tomorrow" nickname means?

It's one of those wrestling nicknames I just don't understand. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

2 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Probably something cool to say, like 'Beast Incarnate' or 'The Cerebral Assassin' or 'The Charismatic Enigma.'  

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Denim&Venom said:

Probably something cool to say, like 'Beast Incarnate' or 'The Cerebral Assassin' or 'The Charismatic Enigma.'  

Yeah, I guess. :P

I've said it before & I'll say it again...Wrestling's weird.  ^_^

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'm in "Camp Cornette" when it comes to "comedy wrasslin'". :huh:

In that wrestling shouldn't have any at all? 

Cornette hasn't struck me as the type to stay up to date with current trends. He's more out of touch than Vince. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Denim&Venom said:

In that wrestling shouldn't have any at all? 

Cornette hasn't struck me as the type to stay up to date with current trends. He's more out of touch than Vince. 

Comedy is fine in small doses but don't let it be the most memorable thing about your match. :)

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think it's just a catchier version of "The Empress Of All Time" -- or something.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Denim&Venom

I saw a match with Curry Man once & the only thing I remember about it is the comedy spots.

I'm sure the other wrestlers did amazing moves but all I remember is Curry Man's dancing.

Was it a bad match, or was curry man that damn amazing?

Wrestling is so ludicrous that comedy seemed to be the logical option.

Rather than small doses, I think it should be dependent on the company or the characters. Chikara, DDT and PWG do a fine job at having comedy be their main stay. But it's just sad when WWE or Impact try to do it. On the other hand NJPW does comedy surprisingly well, but restrict it based on who's wrestling. They save it for when they have the right combination of wrestlers. While again, WWE and impact try to do it with anyone and everyone. 

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Was it a bad match, or was curry man that amazing?

Wrestling is so ludicrous that comedy seemed to be the logical option.

Rather than small doses, I think it should be dependent on the company or the characters. Chikara, DDT and PWG do a fine job at having comedy be their main stay. But it's just sad when WWE or Impact try to do it. On the other hand NJPW does comedy surprisingly well, but restrict it based on who's wrestling. They save it for when they have the right combination of wrestlers. While again, WWE and impact try to do it with anyone and everyone. 

I don't remember much about the Curry Man match except what I've already mentioned. It was a long time ago. 

WWE's attempts at comedy do not age well, IMO.

Going back & watching classic promo's with The Rock or John Cena during his rapping phase make me cringe, nowadays.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1