Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

Koko B. Ware might want to have a one-off match to see who keeps the "Bird Man" moniker. 

I know that Marty doesn't use that nickname but it would be an interesting comedy match.

Does Koko even still wrestle? 

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think Koko is retired. 

Well there you go.

That and he'd probably get booted from the HoF for competing against WWE in WWE's own backyard,. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

Well there you go.

That and he'd probably get booted from the HoF for competing against WWE in WWE's own backyard,. 

I meant at one of those high school gym indy shows with 100 people in attendance that Jim Cornette likes so much. :P

Sorry for the confusion.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Baymax said:

@Sparklefan1234 @Denim&Venom 

Most influenual wrestler (female or male) past and present for you both? Like who inspires you these days.

Male Current: AJ Styles

Female Current: Becky Lynch

Male Past: Kurt Angle

Female Past: Trish Stratus

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Now with Summerslam on the horizon, If you recall last year, I gave my opinions on each of the full Summerslams that I had as well as individual matches in my DVD collection. Since then I managed to get 4 more Summerslam DVD's 2008, 2012, 2015, and 2016 I will be watching and discussing them in August. Here is just a brief recap of which Full Summerslams I like and dislike with brief comments. My full opinions are on pages 144-149 of this thread.

• 1988: Like. First WWF PPV I rented. Did a decent job. Liked the opener, surprise IC Title change, Mega Powers/Mega Bucks match.
  • 1989: Like. Great show, A number of great matches, including tag team opener, first 6 man tag match, and IC title match.
  • 1990: Dislike. Worst Slam quality wise. 2/3 Falls Tag Title match saves it from being completely bad. IC title match wasn't too bad.
  • 1991: Like. Had a fun time with this Slam. Opener, IC title, Million Dollar Championship, Jailhouse, Tag Title and Wedding all great highlights.
  • 1992: Like. One of my favorites. Enjoyed venue, a number of the matches, Great British crowd. IC title match my favorite Summerslam match ever.
  • 1993: Dislike. Many key matches I didn't care for. IC title suffered from Kliq, and bad booking of WWF title match. 
  • 1994: Mixed. Plenty of good. IC title, Hart Brothers Cage match, great matches. Bad stuff like Kliq politics, Taker VS Faker prevent from being that good.
  • 1995: Mixed. Shockingly great show during a bad time. Opener, IC title ladder match fun. WWF title match painful to watch. 
  • 1996: Dislike. Not too memorable, Boiler Room Brawl saves show from being completely bad. Vader should have won title.
  • 1997: Like. Another personal favorite Summerslam. Cage match, IC Title, WWF title. All memorable. Not a bad match on the show. Spark that led to Attitude Era.
  • 1998: Like. Superb Summerslam. Several fun matches including, Lions Den, IC title ladder match, WWF Title match. Proof Attitude Era can have good PPV's.
  • 1999: Dislike. Despite good matches, didn't care for booking. Suffers from too much Vince Russo booking.
  • 2000: Mixed. Overrated Summerslam. TLC steals show. 2/3 Falls match good. Everything else doesn't hold up well.
  • 2001: Like. One of the better Invasion angle PPV's. Hardcore ladder match and WWF title match great. All matches delivered.
  • 2002: Like. Best Summerslam ever. Perfect PPV. 
  • 2003: Mixed. Smackdown matches great. Raw matches suffer.
  • 2004: Dislike. One of least favorite Summerslams. Felt like Non Big 4 PPV. Didn't care for booking or the fans' behavior. 
  • 2005: Like. Good Summerslam but still could have done better with some. 
  • 2006: Dislike. Least favorite Summerslam. Eddie Exploitation, Burying Sabu in ECW title match, Hogan politics, and hometown jobbing. 
  • 2007: Mixed. Didn't have high hopes for this Slam. Did surprisingly fair show. Should have had Batista win World Title.
  • 2010: Dislike. Bad first half. Better second half. Nexus should have won.
  • 2011: Like. The matches all delivered.

For 2009, I only have Jeff Hardy/CM Punk. For 2013, I only have Brock Lesnar/CM Punk and Daniel Bryan/John Cena. And for 2014 I only have Brock Lesnar/John Cena

Which Summerslams do you like and dislike?

• Brohoof 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:24 AM, Baymax said:

@Sparklefan1234 @Denim&Venom 

Most influenual wrestler (female or male) past and present for you both? Like who inspires you these days.

Male Current: Kenny Omega

Female Current: Ember Moon

Male Past: CM Punk

Female Past: Daffney 

1 hour ago, BrawnyCharger said:

Which Summerslams do you like and dislike?

I've been on and off with Summerslam. The only one that springs to mind was 2016.  That one had the Styles/Cena match. Never went back any further than my first one in '06. Only watched 07 and 08 before I began tuning out and saving my allowance for something other than ppvs. 

Okay, time for some coverage of the G1. Three days in and we've had some great matches and surprise results. Match of the tournament so far is a toss up between ZSJ /Ibushi III or Omega/ Naito III, but there have been other very solid bouts like Suzuki/Makabe II, Ishii/Yano, and Elgin/ Hangman. 

Speaking of the Hangman, he's actually the pick to win the whole G1 from Mr.G1 himself, the man in black, Masahiro Chono. Bold prediction. 

Though what might not be so bold anymore is my new pick to win the A Block:

Spoiler

Switchblade Jay White. They've pushed him strong with wins over Okada and Tanahashi. It's obvious that the company have designs on him to be the next major heel. Him making it to the final will get under everyone's skin. So me thinks it'll be Switchblade vs. The Golden Star, Kota Ibushi for the final. That would be a solid match. 

Tournament standings as of Night 3 are as follows. 

Spoiler

A Block

Switchblade-4 points

Togi Makabe- 4 points

Mike Elgin- 4 points

Evil- 2 points

Tanahashi- 2 points

Fale- 2 points

Hangman- 2 points

Suzuki- 0 points

Okada- 0 points

Yoshi-Hashi- 0 Points

B Block

Omega- 2 points

Ibushi- 2 points

Goto- 2 points

Ishii- 2 points

Tama Tonga- 2 points

Everyone else- 0 points

No more matches until the 19th. Take this reprieve while you can. You'll be getting another twenty G1 matches over the next four days after. And that's if you do what I do and skip the first hour of filler tag matches. 

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

Congratulations to Juice Robinson for being the first American to win the IWGP United States championship!* :laugh:

*I'm laughing because the first two men to win the championship aren't from the US.

He was originally my pick to win it the first time around.

Personally, I would've had Cody beat Switchblade, just to rub it in Omega's face by doing what he couldn't. American Nightmare as U.S. Champ, who'd've thunk it? Then have Juice win it at WrestleKingdom 13, avenging his loss from Cody's debut at WK 11. 

But this works too. He looked primed to beat Goto for the NEVER belt and I was afraid he would cool off when he lost another title match. But props to Gedo and New Japan. They booked him right back up in record time and gave him enough adversity to make him heroic.

• Brohoof 1

So I had a dream that I was attending a party featuring WWE stars and the casts of CSI and Numb3rs, apparently in celebration of Texas getting hit by three consecutive hurricanes. And my OC is holding a rhubarb pie while round house kicking Bryan Danielson's leg while he's talking to Brie.

She then asks Brie "Can I keep kicking your husband's leg?" 

"Yes." 

"Can he have some pie?" 

"No." 

I wonder what my psyche is trying to tell me.           

Oh and expect some G1 news later today.         

Edit:  And unfortunately, I must inform you all that wrestling legend and Olympian Masa Saito has passed away.  If that name sounds familiar, then it might be because of his run as AWA world champ, his tag team championship runs with Mr. Fuji, his feud with Hulk Hogan, that time he fought Antonio Inoki on a desert island, or the fact that he invented the Saito suplex we see so often today.  

Funnily enough, I just found he made some local history here in Waukesha County. Saito and Ken Patera went to Prison here in the 80's, when Patera sent a boulder through a McDonald's window and the two of them beat up half a dozen police officers.  And I thought King Haku was scary.  I kid you not. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/waukesha/news/2018/07/18/masa-saito-spent-time-jail-assaulting-waukesha-police-officers/792820002/

While I disagree with what he did, I respect the contributions to the sport he made. 

May that legacy live on. 

Image result for masa saito

• Brohoof 1

On 7/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Denim&Venom said:

So I had a dream that I was attending a party featuring WWE stars and the casts of CSI and Numb3rs, apparently in celebration of Texas getting hit by three consecutive hurricanes. And my OC is holding a rhubarb pie while round house kicking Bryan Danielson's leg while he's talking to Brie.

She then asks Brie "Can I keep kicking your husband's leg?" 

"Yes." 

"Can he have some pie?" 

"No." 

I wonder what my psyche is trying to tell me.           

You want to eat pie with your OC & GOAT Bryan Danielson? 

I would've gone with The Rock, TBH. :pout:

Another busy few days in the G1. It seems that the B Block is the one to watch out for in terms of quality matches. Omega/ Goto, Sanada/ZSJ, Ishii/Naito, Naito/Juice and Ishii/Goto are all must watch. Sanada/ZSJ actually resembled an old school World Of Sport match with how often they traded wrestling holds. And of course Ishii/Goto was your typical personification of strong style. 

Block Standings as of night 6 are as follows:

Spoiler

A Block

Switchblade-6 points

Togi Makabe- 4 points

Mike Elgin- 4 points

Evil- 4 points

Tanahashi- 4 points

Fale- 2 points

Hangman- 2 points

Suzuki- 2 points

Okada- 2 points

Yoshi-Hashi- 0 points

B Block

Omega- 6 points

Ibushi- 4 points

Ishii- 4 points

Sanada- 4 points

Goto- 2 points

Tama Tonga- 2 points

ZSJ- 2 points

Toru Yano- 2 points

Naito- 2 points

Juice Robinson- 0 points

You want to eat pie with your OC & GOAT Bryan Danielson? 

I would've gone with The Rock, TBH. :pout:

Hey, tell that to my psyche, not me. 

• Brohoof 1

No new G1 matches till Thursday (which is coincidentally when I go on my excursion to Charm City for Bronycon.)

Updates to the A Block standings are as follows:

Spoiler

Yoshi Hash finally got on the board with a very competitive match against Big Mike Elgin. MOTN for me.

Evil def. Bad Luck Fale by DQ. Shame cause it was shaping up to be a good match, what with Evil using his cunning to turn BCs own tactics against them. 

Suzuki handed Jay White his first loss in the tournament in a meh match where Jay's dirty tactics and attempts to get under Suzuki's skin didn't work against the veteran.

The Handsome Battle: Tanahashi vs. Hangman ended with a win for the Ace in an okay bout. 

And Okada beat Makabe in what felt like a really slow match. May have been how hot the building was.

A Block

Switchblade-6 points

Tanahashi- 6 points

Evil- 6 points

Togi Makabe- 4 points

Mike Elgin- 4 points

Suzuki- 4 points

Okada- 4 points

Fale- 2 points

Hangman- 2 points

Yoshi-Hashi- 2 points

On an unrelated note, here's a nice interview from The Local Hero, Joe Hendry with the Cowboy, James Storm.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:50 PM, Stone Cold Steve Tuna said:

IMG_5701.JPGShame this will never happen. Friggin Owen breaking his neck and all.

I dunno. Sounds like his neck was pretty bent out of shape even before the piledriver incident. 

• Brohoof 1

"Who do you think would be the best wrestler out of these three members of the Mane 6?"

Your choices are Applejack, Pinkie Pie & Rainbow Dash.

I would say Rainbow Dash because she would be exciting to watch in the ring & I think she would also be excellent at cutting promos. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

"Who do you think would be the best wrestler out of these three members of the Mane 6?"

I would say Rainbow Dash because she would be exciting to watch in the ring & I think she would also be excellent at cutting promos. 

I can expect a lot of high flying moves out of Rainbow Dash.

Applejack would more than likely have a lot of power based moves.

Pinkie would certainly give a unique fast paced match I can imagine.

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Applejack. Wrestling lies strong with those southern types. Can see her being a Stan Hanson type. Strong and stiff.                              

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

Applejack. Wrestling lies strong with those southern types. Can see her being a Stan Hanson type. Strong and stiff.                              

Applejack: Master of the "Superbuck". :mlp_icwudt:

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Applejack: Master of the "Superbuck". :mlp_icwudt:

Not the Appleoosa Lariat? She has to have a lariat. She uses one in real life. 

• Brohoof 1