Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Another guy that i am very curious about, is the WWE debut of Shinsuke Nakamura, who in New Japan was in my eyes the greatest Wrestler right now. The problem i see with Shinsuke in WWE, is that he can't use his regular style anymore, because he was called "the king, of strongstyle" in New Japan and he certainly can't use his strongstyle in WWE anymore.

• Brohoof 2

Exactly, and I'd mark out if he came in at the Rumble. I hope he keeps his leather jacket look :P

They do seem to be doing a lot better lately about letting guys hang on to the traits that helped get them over in the first place. Hopefully, the days of "We have to redo this completely to make sure his success is 100% because of our ideas" are gone thanks to the influence of NXT.

Another guy that i am very curious about, is the WWE debut of Shinsuke Nakamura, who in New Japan was in my eyes the greatest Wrestler right now. The problem i see with Shinsuke in WWE, is that he can't use his regular style anymore, because he was called "the king, of strongstyle" in New Japan and he certainly can't use his strongstyle in WWE anymore.

I'd personally like to see him and Samoa Joe have some horrible brawls. So much ow.

• Brohoof 1

I'd personally like to see him and Samoa Joe have some horrible brawls. So much ow.

I think Shinsuke will immediatly go to the Main Roster. I think this was Shinsukes wish to immediatly go mainstream, to show his japanese style to the world. But let us be honest, was there ever a japanese wrestler successful in WWE? The only one who was successful, was Yokozuna and that was a gimmick.

I think Shinsuke will immediatly go to the Main Roster. I think this was Shinsukes wish to immediatly go mainstream, to show his japanese style to the world. But let us be honest, was there ever a japanese wrestler successful in WWE? The only one who was successful, was Yokozuna and that was a gimmick.

Yeah, there's an unfortunate tendency for Japanese wrestlers to be reduced to well... Japanese wrestlers when they end up in WWE. Instead of letting them be themselves and develop a character and personality past their ethnicity, they end up saddled with some traditional Japanese sounding entrance music and the flag on their tights. It'd be nice to let them, y'know, be people instead of a stereotype.

Yeah, there's an unfortunate tendency for Japanese wrestlers to be reduced to well... Japanese wrestlers when they end up in WWE. Instead of letting them be themselves and develop a character and personality past their ethnicity, they end up saddled with some traditional Japanese sounding entrance music and the flag on their tights. It'd be nice to let them, y'know, be people instead of a stereotype.

Triple H handled that well, when he invited Jushin Thunder Liger to NXT last August to fight Tyler Breeze. He pretty much had his gimmick that he had for decades, showed all of his moves and while he didn't had his original theme song, he got a very cool anime like entrance theme, instead of stereotypical asian music. Hell he even defeated Tyler Breeze.

That's one of the reasons why i hope Hunter takes over soon.

• Brohoof 4

That's one of the reasons why i hope Hunter takes over soon.

I am in 100% solidarity with you on that thought. The change in leadership would be an amazing breath of fresh air for the entire business. I am an enormous NXT fan for that very reason. I get to see indy guys I am familiar with, working in the style I am used to seeing, with better production values.

• Brohoof 1

I am in 100% solidarity with you on that thought. The change in leadership would be an amazing breath of fresh air for the entire business. I am an enormous NXT fan for that very reason. I get to see indy guys I am familiar with, working in the style I am used to seeing, with better production values.

And that's the difference between Vince and Hunter. Vince never cared for anything, that happend outside of his company, while Hunter eats, sleeps and breaths the wrestling business and has his eyes on anything. When he wrestled Daniel Bryan at WM30, i could swear that he watched some tapes where Bryan Danielson faced Nigel Mcguiness. :P

Vince is a great businessman, a great spokesman, great commentator and a great TV Producer. But he knows shit about Wrestling.

• Brohoof 1

Vince is a great businessman, a great spokesman, great commentator and a great TV Producer. But he knows shit about Wrestling.

I have only three words to say in terms of Vince's commentary: WHAT A MANEUVER!  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I have only three words to say in terms of Vince's commentary: WHAT A MANEUVER!  :lol:

Okay, now i have to do it.

You forced me to it, so don't blame me. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

God we need Vince or JR back on commentary

BAH GAWD WHAT A SPEAR

JR actually comes back to broadcasting, on the english announcer table of New Japan Pro Wrestling, teaming up with former UFC Fighter Josh Barnett.

It's miles better then hearing Matt Striker.

Matt Striker was kind of hilarious, just to see how many insider terms and pop culture references he could crowbar into one sentence. 

He kinda hit rock bottom for me, when he commentated New Japan Pro Wrestling. I always tried to find files with the japanese commentary. I might not have understood them, but atleast they show alot of passion for wrestling.

• Brohoof 1

@@Mesme Rize,

I don't see any issue w/ Matt Striker. He's got plenty of technical know how in the sport, talks about the little things and he's passionate about the sport.  He does a good job w/ Lucha Underground too. 

Even you have to admit, he's miles better than JBL, Saxton, Cole, Booker & Lawler combined. 

But as good as Striker is, he cannot hold a candle to Mr. Wrestling #3!

Sounds like somebody didn't bother watching the video I posted. 

@@Mesme Rize,

I don't see any issue w/ Matt Striker. He's got plenty of technical know how in the sport, talks about the little things and he's passionate about the sport.  He does a good job w/ Lucha Underground too. 

Even you have to admit, he's miles better than JBL, Saxton, Cole, Booker & Lawler combined. 

But as good as Striker is, he cannot hold a candle to Mr. Wrestling #3!

Okay, maybe i was a bit too hateful on Matthew. Let me say it this way though.

Striker is great at calling the technical aspects of matches but I just feel like he has no idea when it comes to story telling.

I feel like he has the same tone throughout the match that he is excited about a move regardless if a bad guy or good guy does it. He doesn't sell me on the guy as being good or bad; just that they are good wrestlers. He never sounds mad that a bad guy did something wrong. Maybe that's not what Lucha Underground wants, but I like when the announcers take sides.

But yeah, I would rather kiss his feet then endure the WWE crew. (except for maybe the king, but that's just because i feel nostalgic towards Lawler, so that opinion has no value. :P)

@@Mesme Rize,

I guess it comes down to taste then. You want announcers to take sides. I don't. It feels unnatural for a commentator to do so. It's their job to call the action, not describe their personal feelings on so and so's moral conduct.  Just call the match.  Show. Don't tell. Let the fans come up with the judgement.

It's refreshing to hear guys call the match like it's actually a combat sport and not a good/evil struggle.

@@Mesme Rize,

I guess it comes down to taste then. You want announcers to take sides. I don't. It feels unnatural for a commentator to do so. It's their job to call the action, not describe their personal feelings on so and so's moral conduct.  Just call the match.  Show. Don't tell. Let the fans come up with the judgement.

It's refreshing to hear guys call the match like it's actually a combat sport and not a good/evil struggle.

I guess i am too much of the WWE type then. :P

I just today watched a few episodes of the old Saturday Nights Main Event with Ventura and Mcmahon on commentary. They had such great chemistery. Though, we can argue about the quality of some of the matches.

• Brohoof 1

@@Mesme Rize,

Never really did watch any of the old SNME's. Older wrestling just doesn't quite cut it for me. I watched a few matches here and there, and the timing & finishes seem kinda off by comparison. Though it is kinda hard to get hyped for it when you see stuff like NJPW & ROH on a regular basis. 

I just can't really get into bickering commentators. They distract me from watching the match. 

I just today watched a few episodes of the old Saturday Nights Main Event with Ventura and Mcmahon on commentary. They had such great chemistery. Though, we can argue about the quality of some of the matches.

I watched those episodes when they were new!  :P  Jesse always accused McMahon of favoring the good guys but McMahon never pointed out how he supported the heels.  Anyway, that was one of the best commentary pairings of the time.  The best WWF broadcast duo though was Gorilla Monsoon and Ventura.  They called the first several Wrestlemanias and several other pay per views and its easy to see why.  :)

@@Mesme Rize,

Never really did watch any of the old SNME's. Older wrestling just doesn't quite cut it for me. I watched a few matches here and there, and the timing & finishes seem kinda off by comparison. Though it is kinda hard to get hyped for it when you see stuff like NJPW & ROH on a regular basis. 

I just can't really get into bickering commentators. They distract me from watching the match. 

Ah, i see. I can see now how our interests could clash here, since you're so attached to the new style and i am more of an old school guy. Not that i don't enjoy ROH and NJPW, because i actually do. But i always have a soft spot for the old school WWF, ECW and NWA/WCW shows. :)

I watched those episodes when they were new!  :P  Jesse always accused McMahon of favoring the good guys but McMahon never pointed out how he supported the heels.  Anyway, that was one of the best commentary pairings of the time.  The best WWF broadcast duo though was Gorilla Monsoon and Ventura.  They called the first several Wrestlemanias and several other pay per views and its easy to see why.  :)

They where so good together and they really added to the match, even if the matches weren't always great. That's what is kinda missing today in the WWE, really charismatic commentators that can make matches look great, even if they aren't.