Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

15 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Hey if Impact can last this long through their tumultuous history then there's no excuse for AEW not to survive with it's far more competent owners. 

And hey, there's the possibility that AEW will only grow from here on out. Down isn't the only direction for wrestling feds. It took Impact and ROH a few years to hit their strides. 

You make a good point, I'm just bummed that I haven't been hooked by any of AEW's talent yet.*

*That isn't already well known.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

11 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

You make a good point, I'm just bummed that I haven't been hooked by any of AEW's talent yet.* *That isn't established.

Might be by design. AEW are playing the long game. They're looking to build the next generation of stars rather than piggy back off what's hot right now. 

Same mentality ROH had. While TNA used the name value of guys from WCW & ECW, the ROH roster was very fresh. Nobody knew who American dragon was. Nobody knew who Low Ki was. Nobody knew who CM Punk was. AJ Styles was that guy in a flight suit from WCW. Samoa Joe was that guy with orange hair who lost to Essa Rios on WWF Metal. Christopher Daniels was just starting to get a cult following. Not even had indy darling status yet. The only two recognizable names to mainstream fans on the first ROH show were Eddie Guerrero and Super Crazy. 

But while all that was due to what they had to work with, the mentality helped them in the long run as they built their own crop of guys that represented a distinct style . These weren't ex- ECW and WCW guys in a new company. These were definitively ROH guys. And it looks like that's what AEW are going for. To grow their own brand of wrestler, rather than be the second coming of what WCW was or what TNA should've been. 

• Brohoof 1

49 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Might be by design. AEW are playing the long game. They're looking to build the next generation of stars rather than piggy back off what's hot right now. 

Same mentality ROH had. While TNA used the name value of guys from WCW & ECW, the ROH roster was very fresh. Nobody knew who American dragon was. Nobody knew who Low Ki was. Nobody knew who CM Punk was. AJ Styles was that guy in a flight suit from WCW. Samoa Joe was that guy with orange hair who lost to Essa Rios on WWF Metal. Christopher Daniels was just starting to get a cult following. Not even had indy darling status yet. The only two recognizable names to mainstream fans on the first ROH show were Eddie Guerrero and Super Crazy. 

But while all that was due to what they had to work with, the mentality helped them in the long run as they built their own crop of guys that represented a distinct style . These weren't ex- ECW and WCW guys in a new company. These were definitively ROH guys. And it looks like that's what AEW are going for. To grow their own brand of wrestler, rather than be the second coming of what WCW was or what TNA should've been. 

I guess I was lucky because,

I remembered AJ Styles last name & his finisher all those years later when I saw him on Impact for the first time.

I get your point, though. 

• Brohoof 1

So the Super J Cup is underway all up and down the west coast and most of it will be available through NJPW in September. 

However, that's no excuse not to build up hype, and Night 1 kicked things off in style with the main event of Will Osprey vs. the returning Amazing Red. 

You remember Amazing Red right? Arguably the biggest influence on the X-Divison and many a modern high flyer. We all thought he had retired back in march with a bad neck injury. Ended up canning his planned match with Fenix that I was looking forward to back on Mania weekend. 

Thankfully he came back for one more match at least and from the sounds of things, this bout vs. Osprey has got everyone talking. A potential MotY contender. 

But for now, here's a preview in case you've forgotten who Red is. 

Suplex is on tonight and I can’t wait.

First, I wanted to come here and send out some words to TJP.

Thank you for coming to Suplex and putting on a hell of a main event against Lynx Lewis, Jr.

I respect the hell out of you and was so honoured to have met you.

And I wanna say thank you for treating me so nice and signing my poster.

I really hope to see you again in the future but if I never see you again, I’ll always remember your time here.

• Brohoof 1

Breaking News!

Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley for All Out next week has been cancelled!

Jon Moxley vs Kenny Omega en All Out de AEW a sido ...

Mox suffered an MRSA infection in his elbow during the G1. He tried to work through it doing several indy shows, but it's only gotten worse and he'll be needing surgery this week, ruling him out of his blood feud against Kenny Omega. 

But it sounds like AEW have been keeping tabs on this and had a back up plan ready. The new match instead be:

Spoiler

Jon Moxley Forced Off Of AEW's ALL OUT; Former WWE ...

• Brohoof 1

"Between WrestleMania 25 and WrestleMania 26, which Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match do you enjoy more?"

I think WrestleMania 25 was more entertaining because it felt more unpredictable to me

while the "career" stipulation of the WrestleMania 26 match made the result too obvious & thus less exciting, IMO. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

"Between WrestleMania 25 and WrestleMania 26, which Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match do you enjoy more?"

I think WrestleMania 25 was more entertaining because it felt more unpredictable to me

while the "career" stipulation of the WrestleMania 26 match made the result too obvious & thus less exciting, IMO. 

WM 26. I remember falling asleep during 25. Things didn't get good till Taker botched his suicide dive. 

The career stip didn't effect much cause most Taker matches have a degree of predictability to them. He's gonna win. If anything, it leveraged things in Shawn's favor, that maybe he could win with such high stakes. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

WM 26. I remember falling asleep during 25. Things didn't get good till Taker botched his suicide dive. 

The career stip didn't effect much cause most Taker matches have a degree of predictability to them. He's gonna win. If anything, it leveraged things in Shawn's favor, that maybe he could win with such high stakes. 

Do you think those two matches started the "multiple finisher kickout make the match more epic!" trend

that WWE has been using over the last few years?

Edited by Sparklefan1234

8 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Do you think those two matches started the "multiple finisher kickout make the match more epic!" trend

that WWE has been using over the last few years?

Nah, that trope is an old one from 90s All Japan matches w/ Misawa, Kawada & Kobashi. WWE was just a decade late to the party. 

• Brohoof 1

19 shows. 22 hours. 180 matches. 2 continents. 

That's what constituted this past G1 Climax and I'm finally finished with it all. What a journey, both to watch on NJPW World and to see in person with Night 1 in Dallas. 

First things first, congrats to the winner, who made history by being the only man to have won the G1, the Best Of The Super Juniors and the New Japan Cup.

Spoiler

1562377170008.jpg.399d86d7d6cdd1eaf65a10af6674e829.jpg

You've more than earned it Kota, with a hell of a performance against the Switchblade. Even though I was spoiled the result, seeing all unfold still made me happy, like you could feel Ibushi's joy through the screen. 

Though it takes two to tango. Props to Jay White for being a worthy opponent, the perfect black hat to Ibushi's white knight. Him being super pushed to dethrone Tanahashi and Okada earlier this year doesn't seem like such a radical move in hindsight now. 

Second, shout out to all the excellent performers who endured this grueling tourney. And special shout outs to some stand outs. 

1. Jon Moxley for showing there's much, much more to him than wacky Dean from The Shield. Violent as expected but surprisingly versatile in how he fought. His G1 performance has sandblasted the crusty paint of his WWE tenure and rebuilt his credibility. Best match: Vs. Ishii. 
  2. Lance Archer. KES is no more and Archer has now gone the singles route. Now I honestly thought that he was just in the G1 to be the jobber of the whole thing and boost attendance in Dallas. But what a surprise we were all in for. It was hinted at with that epic match he had against Osprey during the New Japan Cup and only confirmed when they went at it again in Dallas. He more than held his own against the majority of combatants with his freakish agility for a man his size. I see a bright future for him with this new singles push of his. Best match: Vs. Ibushi. 
  3. Kazuchika Okada. Of course the champ was gonna look good. A total 180 of last years performance. The Rainmaker was dominant and looked the part with epic encounters against everyone, coming within an eyelash of becoming the first IWGP heavyweight champ in 20 years to win the G1. I don't think it's possible to have a bad match against Okada. Best match: Vs. KENTA. 
  4. Hirooki Goto.  That retreat to the LA Dojo did Goto a world of good. Something about his performance said was less midcard staple and more of the main event player New japan wanted him to be. He actually looked like a credible threat this year. Best match: Vs. Jay White. 
  5. Tomohiro Ishii. Masahiro Chono maybe Mr. August, but the year after year G1 MVP is Ishii. Like Okada, you can't really have a bad match against Ishii. Maybe one of these days he'll win it. Best match: Vs. Juice Robinson. 
  6. Shingo Takagi.  It was a bit surprising to see how NJPW portrayed Shingo in the G1 versus how he was in the super juniors. Absolutely dominant in the former vs. an uphill battle in the other. But every match he did have was a hard hitting affair. No wonder everyone was buzzing when word of his free agent status hit the web last October. If you hadn't heard of Shingo before, you have now. Best match: Vs. Ishii.

And from notable performers to top five matches. These are outside of the personal bests already mentioned, though all are still worth a watch. In no particular order: 

• Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Shingo Takagi
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Evil 
  • Sanada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. 
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Evil 

Though the G1 wasn't the only news worthy event from the final. If you hadn't heard, the former Hideo Itami has now surrendered his free agent status to the Bullet Club. An interesting choice, as I thought Suzuki-gun would be more his style. But he might be a bit too big for the group and his personality maybe a better fit for the BC. It may seem like a shocker to join but a heel turn was almost foreshadowed, what with how the crowds sorta jeered him in most matches. Like most of the BC guys, KENTA is an outsider. Not only is he from international rivals WWE, but domestic rival NOAH, and by extension historical rivals All Japan. He's not just an outsider from rival feds, he's an outsider from a rival ideology, being trained in the King's Road style founded by Giant Baba as opposed to the Strong Style of Inoki. Nearly 50 years later and the rift between the disciples of Rikkidozan still lingers. 

Speaking of still lingering, with AEW on the horizon, I'm left wondering what could've been had Kenny Omega stayed. While VKM changes plans on a whim, Gedo has set his plan in stone, and isn't letting something as minuscule as leaving the company get in his way. It's clear with the way events have unfolded since Jan. 4th that year long narritive was supposed to be around Omega. 

• WK 13. Kenny was supposed to retain against Tanahashi, continuing the curse of the G1 winner falling just short of dethroning the champ on the grandest stage. 
  • The New Beginning in Osaka. Kenny avenges his loss to the Switchblade. 
  • The Anniversary Show. Kenny avenges Kota Ibushi by besting Will Osprey. 
  • G1 Supercard. Okada evens the score against Omega. 
  • G1 Climax. Omega and Ibushi meet in the finals of the G1, something that was hinted at all the way back in 2017. Kenny falls to Kota and the chapter on his story begins. 

AEW damn well better be worth it if this is the steep price we had to pay, especially in regards to not witnessing Omega/Okada V headline MSG live and in person. 

Only time will tell, and only time will tell how the rest of 2019 will shape up for New Japan and the wrestling world.

One thing we can trust in is Gedo. Gedo and his mad stash of wrestling contingency plans. Paul Heyman. Take notes. 

It’s amazing that it’s been nearly a year since I last talked/ranted about Sting and Triple H/WWE on here, I really still have hatred for it but I’m not talking about it on here anymore.

I owe it to a friend who uses this thread, he knows who he is and this is a really special friend who introduced me to other companies.

Edited by TheRockARooster
  • Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

19 shows. 22 hours. 180 matches. 2 continents. 

That's what constituted this past G1 Climax and I'm finally finished with it all. What a journey, both to watch on NJPW World and to see in person with Night 1 in Dallas. 

You must be one tired wrestling fan. :scoots:

I hope it was worth it, My Friend. :)

Today is a very big day in wrestling, for tonight is the sequel we've all been waiting for. 

AEW All Out 2019: Updated Poster For 8/31 PPV Following ...

We also have the battle of Britain being waged between 

Carte finale de NJPW Royal Quest

And

It's gonna be a busy weekend for us all. Post your predictions everypony! 

On 9/1/2019 at 3:07 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Currently watching All Out, and look at what I just spotted. 

Speaking of All Out, I read a report that said Chris Jericho lost the AEW Championship after the show. :sealed:

Edited by Sparklefan1234

11 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Speaking of All Out, I read a report that said Chris Jericho lost the AEW Championship after the show. :sealed:

Lost as in literally had the physical championship stolen.         

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/chris-jericho-reports-aew-world-title-belt-stolen-while-inaugural-champion-dined-in-florida/

Heck, even Wikipedia is in on the action.

image.thumb.png.603ec810da2b3991069d0cc5e5a91da9.png

And breaking news as it happens, the culprit has been identified. 

image.thumb.png.e8e7e353ed0bc59ff44fb485a6b10705.png                

13 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Lost as in literally had the physical championship stolen. 

Jericho is probably having a new belt made with his face as the center plate. :P

Seriously, talk about bad luck. :sunny:

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

Jericho is probably having a new belt made with his face as the center plate. :P

Seriously, talk about bad luck. :sunny:

It'll only further add to the mystique of the AEW heavyweight championship. 

Also may wanna save those screen-caps cause those are now the only evidence left of the truth. Visit the wiki-article and you find things changed back to the way they were. 

Spread the word. Show the world the truth! 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

It'll only further add to the mystique of the AEW heavyweight championship. 

Do you realize that "Vacant" was finally a real world's wrestling champion?!

In the words of Tony "Skee-A-Vonne":

12 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Do you realize that "Vacant" was finally a real world's wrestling champion?!

In the words of Tony "Skee-A-Vonne":

All the more fitting since Schiovone is now All Elite. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

All the more fitting since Schiovone is now All Elite. 

Jim Ross AND Tony Schiavone are both commentating together in the same wrestling organization?! :love:

That's AWESOME! B)

Edited by Sparklefan1234

6 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Jim Ross AND Tony Schiavone are both commentating together in the same wrestling organization?! :love:

That's AWESOME! B)

Kinda :lie:

AEW are kinda set with their current trio of Ross, Excalibur and Corey Graves sound alike Goldenboy. Schiovone is more production and talent relations kinda guy. Plus he's already committed to MLW among other things. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Schiovone is more production and talent relations kinda guy. Plus he's already committed to MLW among other things. 

Oh, yeah. :blush:

If there was a sliver of  a chance Tony Schiavone could commentate alongside Jim Ross during ANY match I would be SO happy. :D

Edited by Sparklefan1234