Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Welp, the corona virus has now infected the wrestling world. 

Figuratively speaking. Thankfully no wrestlers have caught it, but that doesn't mean things haven't been royally screwed up. 

Last week Stardom announced that it was cancelling a whole tour of shows and that their free Youtube broadcast would be an empty arena event. Sister promotion NJPW didn't cancel anything but did announce it was stepping up health and sanitation measures. Fans were advised to wear masks. Hand sanitizer would be available and anyone who acted ill would be asked to leave. 

But earlier today, NJPW announced that under recommendations from the ministry of health, they would be cancelling their entire anniversary tour, including the anniversary show itself that was set to feature IWGP double champ Tetsuya Naito vs. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight champ Hiromu Takehashi. Not only that but about two weeks worth of dates for the New Japan cup have also been cancelled.  

Sucks for all involved. Last I checked the anniversary show was sold out. Now everypony is wondering what will be done about the tournament? There's another five dates that could be done in march. If they scrapped all undercard matches, they could cram the tournament. Or they could reschedule Naito/Hiromu for their tentpole event Sakura Genesis, push the tournament matches to the road to Dontaku, have the final on the Wrestling Satsuma no Kuni event on 4/29 (perfect for a home town win if Kota Ibushi remains the favorite) and host the title match at Dontaku on 5/4. 

It's a messy situation but not insurmountable if Gedo and crew play their cards right.

Anyways, predictions. here are the brackets, who do you think will win what? What potential matchups are you looking forward to? 

new-japan-cup-bracket.jpg

Mine for anypony whose interested: 

Spoiler

new-japan-cup-bracket.jpg.a3dddca29b88dda17ad05f201a06d4b0.jpg

• Brohoof 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:46 PM, TheRockARooster said:

When it comes to WWE, I hope Goldberg conquers The Fiend.

Super ShowDown Spoilers

Spoiler

It looks like your wish has been granted. 53 YEAR OLD Bill Goldberg is the new Universal Champion. :blink:

On 2/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, Pastel-chan said:

...In regards to Super Showdown...

Is The Fiend ridiculousness finally done? 

Bray Wyatt was cool when he first debuted & now he’s a joke that WWE love to build-up just to knock him down.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

All of the big wrestling feds are "dumping grounds" if you think about it.

AEW, NWA, WWE, Impact Wrestling, New Japan etc. all have people who were popular/well known in other promotions. 

2 hours ago, Pastel-chan said:

Hasn't it always been that way? 

I was referring to how people complain when a wrestler goes to the promotion they don’t like.

(edited)

I highly recommend a Youtube channel I recently stumbled upon called "Wrestling Bios".

I don't usually anticipate uploads but I'm always excited when a new video appears on the Wrestling Bios channel. :D

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

image.thumb.png.eb1d710bc81ca726bae125d24662b3c4.png

New Japan Legend Manabu Nakinishi (or Kurosawa to you WCW fans) wrestled his 2737th match. It was also his last, the former Olympic bronze medalist calling it a career after 28 years. He and his best friends Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Yuji Nagata collectively known as the 3rd generation (or the New Japan dads), ran the gauntlet, each night facing the best each faction had to offer. First it was Suzuki-gun. Then LIJ. Then Bullet Club. And the 3rd generation beat them all. A winning streak on a retirement tour. But on the last night, they'd face the tough task of all star team Hirooki Goto, Kota Ibushi, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kazuchika Okada in a clash of NJPW's main event scene: past vs. present. With mentor Riki Chosu on commentary, Koruken was more than behind their hero on his last night as a wrestler. 

image.thumb.png.2c971c7e40be9c9cc08624b0b9c49235.png

And boy were they behind the maker of the monster morning. I have never heard Ibushi, Tana, Goto & Okada get so much heat from the crowd before. This match was good, but the crowd made it great. They felt like the 3rd generation had a chance to send Nakanishi out with a win.  Sadly, the winning streak was broken, with Tanahashi pinning the man who dethroned him for the gold with a High Fly Flow. After Nakainishi was hit with a GTR. And a Kami Goye. And a Rainmaker. What a way to go out. 

image.thumb.png.6e50a68b661e4ee4ac89252911f34a52.png

image.thumb.png.b7de5062a1dd6ada63479fcc27ee3713.png

And what a touching ceremony it was. Being given flowers and heartfelt speeches from not only is third generation brothers, but also the company president Harold Meij, chairman Sugabaiyashi, and his mentors Hiroshi Hase, Seiki Sakaguchi, Riki Chosu and Tatsumi Fujinami. And by his own admission, Nakanishi doesn't handle pressure in stride. He didn't quite know what to do when given he spotlight. He acted like he was a young lion again. It was very endearing. In his heart, he's just a humble country boy who loves wrestling. A great wrestler and an even better human being.

image.thumb.png.1e52a022c207f809b26837e7d3762057.png

image.thumb.png.3f82ce9fcb2d014217845c2731c7789d.png

Arigato gozaimashita, Manabu-san. 

• Brohoof 2