Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

14 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

In hindsight, yeah he should've won. Twice in a life time. 

It's called "passing the torch" for a reason.

I think the second match was "fine" (By my standards.) but the first one was better due to the hype, location, the "Who's going to win?" excitement etc. 

12 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

It's called "passing the torch" for a reason.

I think the second match was "fine" (By my standards.) but the first one was better due to the hype, location, the "Who's going to win?" excitement etc. 

I thought it was also fine. But felt very by the numbers compared to the last one. The WWE title was not a big enough wrinkle. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I thought it was also fine. But felt very by the numbers compared to the last one. The WWE title was not a big enough wrinkle. 

I still can't believe Punk lost a 434 day reign for that rematch. I know title's are plot devices but...:huh:

I'm not even a big CM Punk fan, TBH.  

Edited by Sparklefan1234

2 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I still can't believe Punk lost a 434 day reign for that rematch. I know title's are plot devices but...:huh:

I'm not even a big CM Punk fan, TBH.  

Worlds longest transitional title reign. That's kinda how most long WWE title runs feel. Outside of Cena's one year reign, there isn't really anything to talk about happening in Savage, Diesel,  Punk, AJ or Brock's year plus runs. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Worlds longest transitional title reign. That's kinda how most long WWE title runs feel. Outside of Cena's one year reign, there isn't really anything to talk about happening in Savage, Diesel,  Punk, AJ or Brock's year plus runs. 

That's what happens when everyone is made to look like a chump except for the Champion.

You can't look at "Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens" for example and not tell me immediately who is going to win before the bell even rings. 

39 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

That's what happens when everyone is made to look like a chump except for the Champion.

You can't look at "Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens" for example and not tell me immediately who is going to win before the bell even rings. 

I think it runs deeper than that. Cena vs. Umaga didn't have that problem. Cena vs. Micheals definitely didn't have that problem. Cena vs. Khali didn't have that problem. And Cena vs. Lashley didn't have it either. On paper, half of them weren't credible. But in execution, it kept you guessing. They were made memorable because of that. 

You can't say that with the other year plus reigns, because both guys looked like chumps. The challenger was a chump and the champ was a chump for beating a chump. 

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I think it runs deeper than that. Cena vs. Umaga didn't have that problem. Cena vs. Micheals definitely didn't have that problem. Cena vs. Khali didn't have that problem. And Cena vs. Lashley didn't have it either. On paper, half of them weren't credible. But in execution, it kept you guessing. They were made memorable because of that. 

I agree with your examples, but they were built-up over time to be credible only to "fall" to John Cena in the end.

Let's say perennial loser/former World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler was in their position instead, who do you think would win then?

Edited by Sparklefan1234

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I agree with your examples, but they were built-up over time to be credible only to "fall" to John Cena in the end.

Let's say perennial loser/former World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler was in their position instead, who do you think would win then?

No, I'd still say Dolph has a chance because he would've had to have done something to look credible. You saying every challenger for the big title runs wasn't built up? 

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

No, I'd still say Dolph has a chance because he would've had to have done something to look credible.

You saying every challenger for the big title runs wasn't built up?

I'm saying it felt obvious who was going to win in almost every big John Cena match (Unless, it was Orton, Triple H, Batista etc.)

because I couldn't picture certain wrestlers as Champion.

Yes, I know it's the "Vince McMahon mentality" but someone like Umaga as Champion didn't feel right at the time.

4 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'm saying it felt obvious who was going to win in almost every big John Cena match (Unless, it was Orton, Triple H, Batista etc.)

because I couldn't picture certain wrestlers as Champion.

Yes, I know it's the "Vince McMahon mentality" but someone like Umaga as Champion didn't feel right at the time.

Felt a lot more right than a lot of guys that would and did become champ. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Felt a lot more right than a lot of guys that would and did become champ. 

Like Kofi Kingston, IMO.  I know he was/is popular but all I'll remember him for are his Royal Rumble saves. 

Because WWE toldyou how to feel and showed you how to feel. For 6 months, Kofi was the guy. For a month, and arguably during his 3rd IC title run, Dolph was the guy.  Umaga in that last man standing match, was the guy. Remained closer to being the guy for a lot longer than Dolph or Kofi did. It's all perception. A challenger not lookign worthy? That's on the company, not the champ or challenger. 

If New Japan could make Okada look like a baller for two freaking years and make every opponent he faced look better in defeat for hanging with the best, the WWE, with it's 20x bigger subscriber base can do it too.  The fact that Roman at his best fighting Cesaro, Strowman, Steen, & Balor made none of them look better in the standings and made his standing negligible is all on the shoulders of one man, arguably two. 

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Because WWE toldyou how to feel and showed you how to feel. For 6 months, Kofi was the guy. For a month, and arguably during his 3rd IC title run, Dolph was the guy.  Umaga in that last man standing match, was the guy. Remained closer to being the guy for a lot longer than Dolph or Kofi did. It's all perception. A challenger not lookign worthy? That's on the company, not the champ or challenger. 

Arguing is fun. :P

18 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

If New Japan could make Okada look like a baller for two freaking years and make every opponent he faced look better in defeat for hanging with the best, the WWE, with it's 20x bigger subscriber base can do it too.  The fact that Roman at his best fighting Cesaro, Strowman, Steen, & Balor made none of them look better in the standings and made his standing negligible is all on the shoulders of one man, arguably two. 

I feel like Kevin tries his best but I wish he didn't use the Stunner as a finisher.

My WWE2K games make his version of the Stunner look better with women.

Cesaro is held back probably because someone within the company finds him boring or whatever, even though Cesaro has all of the

qualifications to be "the guy".

Edited by Sparklefan1234

11 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Arguing is fun. :P

I feel like Kevin tries his best but I wish he didn't use the Stunner as a finisher. My WWE2K games make his version of the 

Stunner look better with women.

Cesaro is held back probably because someone within the company finds him boring or whatever, even though Cesaro has all of the

qualifications to be "the guy".

Apparently Big Kev is happy where he's at. The stunner should've led places, but it's more convincing than the pop up power bomb, though that is a me thing since that was a signature back in ROH. 

Ceasro is just stubborn and should've left already. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

The stunner should've led places, but it's more convincing than the pop up power bomb, though that is a me thing since that was a signature back in ROH. 

I just feel like if a move is synonymous with a wrestler (Stunner, Pedigree, Tombstone Piledriver etc.) that other wrestlers in WWE "shouldn't"

be allowed to use them unless, it's for storyline purposes. 

7 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Ceasro is just stubborn and should've left already. 

Cesaro speaks five languages which, should/would be an excellent asset for the main company representative to possess. 

18 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I just feel like if a move is synonymous with a wrestler (Stunner, Pedigree, Tombstone Piledriver etc.) that other wrestlers in WWE "shouldn't"

be allowed to use them unless, it's for storyline purposes. 

Cesaro speaks five languages which, should/would be an excellent asset for the main company representative to possess. 

I thought Austin passed it down or something, but I haven't watched Raw in years. 

Cesaro would be a heck of an ambassador or GM figure if WWE too their over seas colonies more seriously. Frankly, he or Davey Boy Jr should've been the guy to dethrone Walter, though no digs on Dragonov. He's earned it. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I thought Austin passed it down or something, but I haven't watched Raw in years. 

He might have. I'm just saying that I don't visualize Okada when I think of the Tombstone Piledriver or Kevin Owens with the Stunner. 

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

though no digs on Dragonov

Tough as nails that guy is. 

Well with the con out of the way, I can now report on the end to the G1 Climax. 

Your winner for the 3rd time: Kazuchika Okada

image.thumb.png.2d50ab0abe649859db68eb9466bff06d.png

image.thumb.png.d74fb221a15c2ccbc4a14001244ac4f8.png

Here he is holding the flag of all the past winners. The two banners in this pic are for Tetsuya Naito & Kota Ibushi. This is relevant. Naito had to bow out of the tournament after wrecking his knee in the first match. And in the tournament final, Kazuchika won the final bout against Kota Ibushi. Via referee stoppage. After Ibushi broke his arm during a failed phoenix splash. 

I have never seen a venue get deflated so fast. Okada just looked dead inside. This is not the tournament winning performance he wanted to put on. Champion Shingo Takagi on commentary wasn't happy either. That this is how his challenger gets to be chosen. A sad end to a good tournament. 

Man, New Japan just can't catch a break. Now two of their biggest stars are on the shelf. 

The news doesn't get much better. Remember Jimmy Rave? Rock n' Rave infection w/ Lance Rock, AKA Lance Archer. Massive heel back in ROH's early days. Star making feud against AJ Styles. Well, he's had a year long battle with MRSA. He lost his arm earlier in the year, and now just lost both legs. 

Spoiler

If you have any thing to spare, send it Rave's way to help him pay off his absurd medical bill. 

Or go buy one of his shirts from PWtees. https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/jimmyrave 

But one good thing did happen during the final. A surprise exhibition match. 5 minutes of UWFi rules submission grappling. Zack Sabre Jr. answering the challenge... of a returning Katsuyori Shibata! That's right. For 5 glorious minutes, we got to see Mad Dog make his return to the ring for the first time in over 4 years and trade holds with ZSJ. it was magnificent and a great way for him to end things on his own terms. Or is he? Shibata did say that next time he'd be in a New Japan ring, it would be to fight. Whatever the case, despite how sad the ending was, people will still look back and be so damn happy at seeing Shibata make a little bit of a triumphant return and ZSJ getting rewarded for stepping up in the G1 by getting to be a part of this special moment. 

image.thumb.png.c6dc2e4f1b65b3e945a0a04896c55b52.png

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-10-24 at 9:00 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

From one professional Canadian to another. 

Edge begins at WrestleMania 6, evolves to talk show guest and becomes WWE Hall of Famer. Wow. What a journey. 

@Denim&Venöm  As if 2021 couldn't get any wilder for for professional wrestling.

Also, I don't know how reliable Meltzer is as a source source: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10016355-roh-wrestling-reportedly-will-release-all-talent-from-contracts-at-end-of-2021

Edited by Sparklefan1234

2 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Denim&Venöm  As if 2021 couldn't get any wilder for for professional wrestling.

Also, I don't know how reliable Meltzer is as a source source: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10016355-roh-wrestling-reportedly-will-release-all-talent-from-contracts-at-end-of-2021

Nope. ROH themselves confirmed it. 

r/ROH - BREAKING: ROH is going on hiatus after Final Battle to restructure the company. In the meantime, who are some wrestlers you'd like to see on whose show and why?

They're not totally released. They're committed to the tapings around Final battle in November. But other than that, everyone is free to do whatever. Contracts will not be renewed at years end. 

It sucks because ROH has been the most responsible of the U.S. feds. But Sinclair isn't making money and with no live tickets sales & merch revenue, Sinclair ain't making money either. So they're gonna reassess and find a way to run things even cheaper. If they even chose to continue until April. There's always the chance Sinclair will try and sell. And WWE is ever expanding their tape library. NXT was basically WWE's counter to ROH. If they wanna keep that die hard fanbase now that NXT isn't for kids anymore, that'd be the way to do it. Make ROH a Peacock exclusive. Then the talent they keep hemorrhaging can just work in their home away from home. Ciampa, Steen, Roddy, O'Reily, Priest, Joe, Styles, Kushida, Cesaro, Zayn (allegedly) & Nigel would all love to work for the ROH brand. 

There's even calls for Tony Khan and his Elite bros to make the first bid to at least keep WWE's monopoly in check. Add the whole freaking thing to HBO Max. Anthem could grow their own assettes and buy ROH to join Impact. The 2002 twins under one banner. If NJPW are still interested in a U.S. territory, then maybe Bushi-Road makes a bid.  Heck, some are saying Triple H should grow a pair and buy ROH himself. Run a wrestling business without his old man in law bungling things up time and again. 

Regardless, ROH doesn't deserve this and it feels like we're getting a repeat of ECW. How poetic that the company made to be a spiritual successor may also die an untimely death. The industry will only be hurt by this and a lot of great wrestlers are gonna lose work at a lousy time. It's eerie, but WCW released a similar statement the week before the final Nitro. 

I really hope they endure. I mean if Impact of all freakin promotions can manage, surely ROH can. They're saying an April re-launch, which means no 20th anniversary show sadly. 

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I could finally see the CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe ROH trilogy! :wau:

Or you could just support Roh and buy it uncut. They come as a bonus disc for the allied forces show. Even got my copy signed. 

20211027_192029.jpg

20211027_192058~2.jpg

20211027_192047~2.jpg

• Brohoof 1