Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Comics and Television Show Confirmed to be Separate

ghostfacekiller39

Article:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/02/comics-and-show-to-remain-separate-canon.html

Capture.PNG

The director of the FiM Television series recently came out to say that the comics and the show canon are to remain separate - as in, they're both canon in the same universe, so the comics don't apply to the show. This basically reduces the comics to being Hasbro approved fanfiction, but all in all the events in the comics have no impact on the show itself, nor what happens in it.

My personal take on this is that it's a good thing for the show, as I feel the comics have struggled to maintain consistency with the show numerous times throughout their arcs and honestly, I haven't really liked many of the comics I've read, with the only ones I've enjoyed thus far being the "Return of Chrysalis" arc, the Rarity micro, the Rainbow Dash and Trixie Friends Forever and the Rarity and Applejack Friends Forever. While I've heard the Babs Seed and Rarity one to be rather good, I haven't read it yet myself.

Regardless, the comics have always struck me as being a bit inconsistent and lower in quality in comparison to the show. That's just my personal opinion, however, and I base it on how I prefer character driven, slice of life stuff to actiony fanservicy stuff. From what I can tell, the comics are really hit or miss, but that's especially true with characterization. If those sorts of problems with characterization were introduced into the show's canon, then I think that'd create problems for the show's writing staff having to follow an inconsistent second medium and thus lowering the quality of the show itself.

Hey, this is just my personal take on it, though.

What are your opinions on this breakthrough in the FiM universe? Discuss! :D

EDIT: Edited the title for clarification's sake

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 12

Is this purely based on the tweet? If so, I don't think that necessarily means they're separate canon. Just because they don't interact with each-other and remain separate doesn't necessarily invalid the canon of the comics in regards to the overall, show-centric-verse.

I am biased, of course, since I consider the comics canon to the show. Still, unless there's a quote of Jim actually saying something along the lines of "the comics and the show have separate canon/are in separate universes" I think it's fair to say it's still open to interpretation.

• Brohoof 4

Like I've said before, it's probably best that the comics and show stays separate. Not everyone read/likes the comics and introducing elements previously exclusive to the comics will probably confuse those who haven't read them.

On top of that there are lots of things about the comics that just rub me the wrong way(characterization of certain characters is a big one) and I'd rather not see them appear in the show

Is this purely based on the tweet? If so, I don't think that necessarily means they're separate canon. Just because they don't interact with each-other and remain separate doesn't necessarily invalid the canon of the comics in regards to the overall, show-centric-verse.

I am biased, of course, since I consider the comics canon to the show. Still, unless there's a quote of Jim actually saying something along the lines of "the comics and the show have separate canon/are in separate universes" I think it's fair to say it's still open to interpretation.

In a sense, I don't think he means "comics and the show are separate canon" especially since the comics mainly rely on the show. I think he really means that the comic's canon can easily be ignored in the show's canon

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

I can't really say much other than he confirmed it to be separate canon via that tweet, and coming from the director of the show itself, I think that's all that's really needed to say that the show's canon and the comic series' canon don't officially intertwine with each other.

Of course, no one is stopping you from believing the events of the comics took place in the same timeline of the show :D All this really does is say that it doesn't "officially" intertwine with the show itself. It doesn't negate them from happening all together, it just isn't officially recognized as the same canon. Key word: Officially :please:

• Brohoof 2

I don't think this is outright saying "They aren't canon at all in any way!". I think it's the same thing like with the Equestria girls movies. They're "Optional canon". If you like them and want them to be a part of the same universe than they can be, if you don't like them they can be ignored, as they have no effect on the actual show itself. Unless of course something in the show just outright completely contradicts something in a comic.

• Brohoof 6

I don't think this is outright saying "They aren't canon at all in any way!". I think it's the same thing like with the Equestria girls movies.

I'm under this impression as well, to be honest, but personally I've heard people claim them to be outright 100% canon to alternate universe to non-canon to who knows what :please: This statement seems to provide a bit of clarification on the matter :D

I do feel it to be a good thing as people have seemed to have issues with recent issues namely, and I personally have felt they've struggled maintaining consistency with the show's defined characterizations of the ponies from the issues I've read. This could provide a good, middle ground for both the writers of the show as well as the fandom itself, thus I feel that this is generally a good thing :D

• Brohoof 1

I can't really say much other than he confirmed it to be separate canon via that tweet, and coming from the director of the show itself, I think that's all that's really needed to say that the show's canon and the comic series' canon don't officially intertwine with each other.

Of course, no one is stopping you from believing the events of the comics took place in the same timeline of the show :D All this really does is say that it doesn't "officially" intertwine with the show itself. It doesn't negate them from happening all together, it just isn't officially recognized as the same canon. Key word: Officially :please:

That's just the thing though, I don't see him using "separate canon" anywhere in that tweet; he could have just meant "separate" like EG, canon but never actually interacting/crossing over with the main series. This tweet, by itself, is not the confirmation of the comic's canon status that many fans seem to think it is.

• Brohoof 1

Well I do read the comics digitally...I agree to myself not to keep the show and the comic separetely...For example, Asterix was adapted into many big screen movies a lot...

Edited by MAIKUN

I don't read the comics because I don't like them: the plots and the tone are so different from the show... The spirit of the show isn't present in them.

Personally I think it's great news! :D

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I've always assumed that the comics and the show were separate from one another, mostly because not only do the comics seem to have a tendency to delve into fan theories (even though the writers have gone on record as saying they have never been influenced by fan material) but some of the material introduced has a habit of conflicting with established canon in the show as well as my own personal theories.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't interpret that tweet that way. Rather, I'd say that it means that they'll continue to tell separate stories, and you won't need to read the comics to understand the show.

• Brohoof 3

I'm okay with this news, I absolutely love comic books but the MLP comics definitely seem lower quality than the show itself and it doesn't even feel pony-related, especially since most of the comics are pretty bad.

• Brohoof 2

In my experience comics and books never effect the show that they are tied to. I have seen this separation with many Disney shows. I have no problem with it and prefer the separate continuity/canon whatever you call it. Interestingly enough when I was at a Directors Panel yesterday at Ponycon the director confirmed that Equestria Girls is also considered a separate franchise by Hasbro and Equestria Girls does not effect MLPFIM.  

• Brohoof 2

Interestingly enough, I originally considered them separate entities with no bearing until SDCC 2014 when Hasbro suggested that there was a possibility of incorporating a comic exclusive character into the show. Now I suppose that they are not. As GFK pointed out, not being bound by too much content does free up both sides to be more creative with their approaches and avoid the tangled mess that Star Wars, DC, Marvel, and Star Trek ended up in. 

As far as how this will effect my enjoyment of the comic books, it won't. Again I am going to look to Star Wars as an example. Timothy Zahn's EU Thrawn books are by and large the best stories outside of the films (even arguably better than the prequels). I continue to consider then amazing works regardless of canonical standing. I will approach the comic books that I like with the same mindset. 

A good story is a good story. 

• Brohoof 8

If they're two different universes then the comics should be able to just make up all kinds of unique storylines since it does not affect Friendship is Magic. They should have a completely different cast of characters in a new setting.

Awwww I liked when it was assumed to share continuity. Honestly, I haven't read many of the comics, but the ones I have, I've almost enjoyed more than the show itself. More adventure, more humor, higher stakes, plenty of in-jokes and shout outs.

It reminds me of one of the best fanfics of our show It's a Dangerous Buisness, Going out your Door which is pretty damn close to the show in terms of characterization and consistency with the lore but the stakes are higher and the adventure is grander. That's why I wish to read the comics.

If they're two different universes then the comics should be able to just make up all kinds of unique storylines since it does not affect Friendship is Magic. They should have a completely different cast of characters in a new setting.

Meh, I disagree. I still wish to see the Mane Six going on adventures, that's why I want to read Friendship is Magic comics. To see the characters I love in new situations that are just a little outside the show's range.

Like I've said before, it's probably best that the comics and show stays separate. Not everyone read/likes the comics and introducing elements previously exclusive to the comics will probably confuse those who haven't read them.   On top of that there are lots of things about the comics that just rub me the wrong way(characterization of certain characters is a big one) and I'd rather not see them appear in the show

The way this usually works is that the show is the Prime universe and the comics a joint one. So if there was shared continuity, it would more likely involve the former spilling over into the latter rather than the other way around, precisely for the reason you cited.

Obviously this (rather sadly) isn't even a concern anymore.

"Hasbro approved fanfiction" is exactly what I've been saying from the beginning.

Why am I not surprised you despise the comics?  >_>

You know there are fanfics that are utter masterpieces as well.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ 

Wow, I'm once again in a stark minority within the minority in that I think the comics are in some ways better than the show.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 4