Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Comics and Television Show Confirmed to be Separate

ghostfacekiller39

I'm cool with this. There's some stuff in the comics that I both like and dislike. It's nice to just pick what you enjoy and accept that into your headcanon, while ignoring what you're not cool with.

So, doesn't this just confirm what was thought to be the general consensus? That the comics were technically canon to the universe of FiM; just that it has no bearing on the show itself?

That's good to know.

I never read the comics and i don't plan to do so and if they did some kind of continuing story from the comics in the show, me and the other none comic readers would feel totally alienated.

• Brohoof 1

The tweets have been clarified.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/02/clarification-on-mlp-comics-vs-show.html

Keep in mind, Jim in that earlier tweet said nothing about the comics being non-canon. It probably is still as it was stated by Hasbro, McCarthy, Price and Cook that they are. Jim mentioned nothing about canon other than that he doesn't even see the show's canon as solid.

The comics, like EqG, are canon but won't have an effect on the show itself. What he meant was that no stories from the comic will cross over with the show and remain separate, no adventures from the comics will be mentioned. So basically it's soft-canon. It's there but can easily be ignored.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

Breakthrough? Did someone say they were one and the same recently, and this is overturning that statement? Because as far as I was aware, this was always the case. Major comic writers have said several times that the comic is 'canon' enough, only up until a point where the show establishes something that conflicts with something the comic establishes, in where the show's canon will always trump whatever the comic decided to do.

The comics relish in the fact that they're not connected with the show; that's part of why they get away with having a lot of darker themes, storylines and jokes that you wouldn't see in the TV-Y show in a million years.

I dunno, this doesn't seem like news to me x) As far as I was aware this was common knowledge.

Why am I not surprised you despise the comics?  >_>

You know there are fanfics that are utter masterpieces.

Listen dude. I can understand that you don't necessarily agree with Dulsys views on the show and everything else, but it's really not really the best move to act salty about it.

Let him have his views and you can have your views, okay? ;)

Listen dude. I can understand that you don't necessarily agree with Dulsys views on the show and everything else, but it's really not really the best move to act salty about it.

Let him have his views and you can have your views, okay? ;)

You're right. That was immature of me. I apologize.

• Brohoof 1

You're right. That was immature of me. I apologize.

It's okay. Just try to not get too emotional about these show discussions.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the producer of the show only reigns over the show, so even though there is some weight to this tweet, it's not quite as concrete as if it had been said by the director of Hasbro. However, if I were producing a TV series with side media where the show is essentially the nucleus, I would operate as if the side media doesn't exist since it would be far more difficult to take everything else in consideration when producing an episode than simply building on what has been established in the show, and that could lead to an increase in plot holes and make the canon that much more confusing and tougher to follow.

That tweet just further supports what others have said about the comics being B canon where they have canon validity, but only so long as they don't contradict any plot points in the show, and no event in the comics should be so essential that reading certain issues are required to get into episodes of the show. If FiM is an atom the nucleus, which is the show, can and is expected to have a canon impact on every piece of media related to it, but the opposite should not be true.

Other media can expand the mythos and add further character development along with exclusive characters and concepts, but it should always be optional. That way people who like having additional media that expand on things and/or enjoy more complex canons can have it their way, while fans who just want to follow a linear show from start to finish can have that too. It allows for FiM to appeal to a wider variety of people while minimizing potential problems associated with adding more media. For the record, I personally like the comics and though I have fallen behind on the graphic novels, due mostly to financial reasons, I intend to catch up on them but I don't think they or the novels or even the Equestria Girls films should be needed to follow the show.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm still very happy. The comics seem to me like a whole lot of brony-pandering garbage, and I'm glad to know that the show can just steamroll over it whenever it damn well pleases. Here's to hoping that it gets a chance in season 5. 

The comics seem to me like a whole lot of brony-pandering garbage

Seem? Have you even read them? And when do they "pander" to bronies?

Here's to hoping that it gets a chance in season 5.

You're hoping the show crushes the comic? >_>

I really don't see how this tweet changes anything with the relationship the show and the comics already shared. They've been entirely different stories from the get go. Also I don't see anywhere in this tweet that says the comics are "fanfiction", the series has shown that it has multiple dimensions existing in it. My head canon is the Comic-verse takes place in a different dimension like Equestria girls or like the opposite dimension in the comics themselves, so while they are the same characters they are different versions of them. It taking place in a different timeline does not make it "not canon" but rather its own canon.

I agree that the comics need some consistency in quality, or at least quality control weeding out some of the poorly written stories.

• Brohoof 2

Seem? Have you even read them?

I have heard extensive things about the plots of several of the arcs, and honestly, they sound very un-FiMlike, which really makes me lack any interest in them. 

Plus, I really don't like their artstyles. 

It's not that surprising.

The comics are made with older fans/Bronies in mind to begin with and have elements that don't mesh well with the show like pop culture references, some extra violence/drama, and somewhat adult content.

That said, there are a few things I kinda wish would be used somehow at some point.

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

It's not that surprising.The comics are made with older fans/Bronies in mind to begin with and have elements that don't mesh well with the show (pop culture references,some extra violence, somewhat adult content)That said, there are a few things I kinda wish would be used somehow at some point.

Me too, but I also know why they aren't. If a character from the comics makes a cameo appearance for example, the show's producers would have to tread lightly so that people don't have to read the issue(s) that character is from to get into the story, or at least feel like they're tuning in to the midway point of a story arc even if reading the issue isn't a total necessity.

I forgot to mention that having an established "nucleus" in a network of media is beneficial to those who produce the additional media too. In this particular model, the comic's producers have to be mindful of the show and that can pose some challenges, but if every piece of media is treated as equal canon then the comic's producers would also have to be mindful of the novels. The result would not only mean a more chaotic continuity for the show, but for all FiM related media.

Idk about you guys, but I don't really care. When it comes to things like this, I just decide myself what is and isn't canon, if I bother at all. I just enjoy the material and don't usually obsess over what is and isn't intended to be canon by the creator. I interpret things for myself and that makes it more fun for me :)

• Brohoof 1

The real question is "When do they not?"

Been doing it literally since issue 1.

I actually like when they pander though. Both the movies and the comics are sort of love letters to the fans (at least to me anyway). Some of them are just not that good, but those issues that get everything right are just gems and a joy to read. 

Once again this statement is not any different from their current policy, so it changes nothing.

I have heard extensive things about the plots of several of the arcs, and honestly, they sound very un-FiMlike, which really makes me lack any interest in them. 

The main comics are entitled FIM and considering the approval process that goes behind them they are as FIM quality as anything else.

However each arc is different so you are missing out on good stuff.