Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Comics and Television Show Confirmed to be Separate

ghostfacekiller39

The main comics are entitled FIM and considering the approval process that goes behind them they are as FIM quality as anything else.

However each arc is different so you are missing out on good stuff.

I'd like to counterpoint this with a simple no, that's not true, don't bother reading them.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering they've been going down in quality the past year and several members of the comic staff just can't take criticism. Them having no influence on the show is the best thing that could happen.

• Brohoof 2

Considering they've been going down in quality the past year and several members of the comic staff just can't take criticism. Them having no influence on the show is the best thing that could happen.

They've been going down?? How far down could they possibly be??

• Brohoof 1

That's pretty much how I've felt since the beginning, mostly due to the fact that not everyone is gonna read the comics, and if they started referencing events from them in the show, like Nightmare Rarity and whatnot, it's gonna confuse the hell out of them. Not to mention there was some noticeable breaks in continuity here and there.  

I'm gonna jump in with all those who've already said that he wasn't saying they're separate canon, they're just their own entity, and the comics will never shape the show. The show of course will shape the comics.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to counterpoint this with a simple no, that's not true, don't bother reading them.

That's not really a counterpoint, and just because you might not like them does not means others won't. Friends Forever issues have improving wells of late, and the main series is pretty decent for what it is.

Frankly I  am looking forward to the Fiendship Is Magic set of comics.

• 3 months later...

And speaking of, I'm still enjoying the comics and the TV show. I meant the TV series and the comic series are TWO different canons, right?

Still, I wish the Nightmare Rarity arc being adopted into a multi-part episode just like they did it with the Asterix movies in France.

Jim later clarified his comment by saying his tweet was taken out of context. He stated that Chrysalis is alive, as evidenced by the comics, and that he never said the comics weren't canon.

Well what do you mean "Comics weren't canon"? Seriously?!?

In a sense, they depend on the reader. You need to watch the show to understand a lot of things in the comics, however, unless the show references something in the comics(which hasn't happened yet) the comics can be ignored entirely

• Brohoof 1

A few of the things that happen in the comics do not line up with the show or may leave you a bit confused so I guess this makes them secondary canon at best. What I mean is that if it fits in the show, it is canon otherwise it isn't.

• Brohoof 2

A few of the things that happen in the comics do not line up with the show or may leave you a bit confused so I guess this makes them secondary canon at best. What I mean is that if it fits in the show, it is canon otherwise it isn't.

Pretty much this. Think of it like this...

A canon: The TV is will always be the #1 resource for canon information

B canon: Equestria Girls, IDW comics, MLP chapter books, Journal of the Two Sisters, Daring Do books

With that said, anything that is B canon follows A canon, but that doesn't mean A canon will follow B canon.

For example, while the Sombra issue in the FIENDship is Magic series follows Sombra from the show, the show can ignore the origin story if it so wishes.

• Brohoof 4

Nuts. That ruins the vast majority of my headcanons, then. I've read a huge chunk of the comics (CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on Fiendship is Magic), and I've ALWAYS regarded them as mostly canon, but this way like the OP said, now they're just glorified fanfiction. 

I do have to agree that it's good that they remain separate... A lot of stuff about the comics seem to be very different, from how they handle characterization to the types of stories they choose. I think I do prefer the show, but in my mind, the comics were just a nice way to look more into the world of Equestria.

"It's my home, and I love it."

Is this purely based on the tweet? If so, I don't think that necessarily means they're separate canon. Just because they don't interact with each-other and remain separate doesn't necessarily invalid the canon of the comics in regards to the overall, show-centric-verse.

I am biased, of course, since I consider the comics canon to the show. Still, unless there's a quote of Jim actually saying something along the lines of "the comics and the show have separate canon/are in separate universes" I think it's fair to say it's still open to interpretation.

There was another tweet that I found that convinced me the comics are more or less headcanon and not canon.

Make new friends but Keep Discord already proven that Comics are not canon. CMC do not like Discord and they are afraid of him, thus FF2 and Main series 24 with Fluttershy are not canon

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah in the comics, The CMC are friends with Discord! And FYI, FF2 and Main series issue 24 with Fluttershy should be canon!

Edited by MAIKUN

When I write this letter to Hasbro, they gonna tell us that the comics ARE canon! And the show will share some relations from the comics (such as CMC's friendship with Discord), BLAM! We be cheering in tears of joy!

A canon: The TV is will always be the #1 resource for canon information

B canon: Equestria Girls, IDW comics, MLP chapter books, Journal of the Two Sisters, Daring Do books

Star Wars has done a formula like that for a long time, except their canon was more like A,B,C,D until Disney simplified that but they do so at the cost of giving the middle finger to expanded universe fans. This dosen't surprise me given the different tone from the show and the Equestria Girls universe seems to be a sort of sub A canon that exists but has little effect on the main show.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

They want you to keep believing it's canon to sell comics why do you think they can't give clear answers?

Andy Price tweeted it's canon if you want to believe it. That means you can either indulge into the canon of the comic which is apart from the show or stick with the TV canon.

Edited by cider float