Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Comics and Television Show Confirmed to be Separate

ghostfacekiller39

They want you to keep believing it's canon to sell comics why do you think they can't give clear answers?

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, the comics may as well be fanfiction. 

I'll read them either way. For me, it's more of like Star Wars' "expanded universe", and since they don't seem to want to be clear, I'll just go ahead and continue to integrate what I see in the comics into what I know from the show.

• Brohoof 1

Make new friends but Keep Discord already proven that Comics are not canon. CMC do not like Discord and they are afraid of him, thus FF2 and Main series 24 with Fluttershy are not canon

Unless those comics are set chronologically after MNFBKD.

Yeah not surprised. Usually in series that spans multiple media, the tele-visual medium trumps the written canon since it's usually the spin off (obviously I'm not counting book adaptations, though the movie are generally a bit more well know in the public light) and thus don't have as big of an impact or fanbase as well as potentially hindering the writers.

Anyways here's how I sort the canon of the show:

A+ Canon: All the two-parters and Magical Mystery Cure. Nothing can override what happened in the episode.

A Canon: Every other episode of the show. Can be overwritten by A+ canon (For example Twilight's Kingdom rectonning It's About Time) 

B Canon: Everything Equestria Girls.

C Canon: All spin off material, such as the comics and tie-in books.

D Canon: Staff interpretations of the show, such as Megan McCarthy's thoughts on the Discord X Celestia hints in Twilight's Kindgom. On par canon wise with E Canon, only separated because of staff position

E Canon: Headcanons, fan theories and fan fictions.  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This one was pretty obvious.  But I'm glad they finally made it official. 

This isn't as bad as people think.  It just makes the cartoon more of an open slate for ideas, because the events and descriptions that are comic-exclusive aren't law.

Edited by SBaby

To rebut about the desperate universe theories, I do feel like people are wanting to tend towards saying that the show and comics stand like, for example, Spectacular and Amazing Spider-Man. Clearly two different people in different universes.

The comics CAN'T be regarded like that, IMO. I think occasionally you can just merge the comic/show canonicity, other times you sort of have to take it as a "what if" situation.

It's definitely hard to tell but I think the best bet is to just wait and see how the COMIC WRITING staff sees their stories in the MLP universe. Or if the show writers/Hasbro/big power declare the comics non-canon, to where it undeniably confirmed.

• Brohoof 1

I happened to check out the Twitter business in question back when EQD posted it. They took it a little out of context.

See, there's this guy, Murrisson, who's a big critic of the comics. Been pretty disgruntled with them since after the first few arcs, from my understanding. He's typically pretty rude from what I've seen of him, doing a whole lot of namecalling and such, but he does seem to have legit opinions behind that - He reads and reviews most issues (I think he pirates them, though), and says what he likes and doesn't like; He's not just a "hate everything" troll. It's just that those opinions are negative half the time, and expressed rudely. He's disgruntled with Equestria Daily too, for that matter.

Anyhow, with his general dislike for the comics, it was no surprise that he'd raise his concerns with Big Jim about something. He got a pic, see, that seemed to show a comic character making an appearance in S5. He tweeted Jim repeatedly about this, and Jim tried soothing his worries a few times - saying stuff like "Wait and see how the character's handled" (which says to me that it'd probably just be a cameo if anything).

In the end, Jim told him what you see there. Which Sethisto proceeded to make an EQD post about without explaining the leadup to it.

Im'a go over here now! *walks slowly over to corner, sits down and starts speaking to himself* It's not true, it can't be true. i refuse to believe, I REFUSE!

And that will convince me of absolutely nothing. 

That's up to you. I'm in no position to contradict Jim on this. If he says they're canon, that's exactly what they are.

TqP7l.jpg