Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

humor Why drinking can be dangerous

Keypassion

The basement of Golden Oaks Library was dark. Not blindingly dark, more of a shade dark, but still dark nonetheless. Twilight, a purple alicorn, was busy at work with the most unlikely of lab partners, Pinkie Pie, who could only be described as a pink pony with a mane and tail similar to cotton candy. They were working on an idea Pinkie had for a new drink. To put it simply, rainbows mixed with Zap Apple essence. Neither of the mares were sure what this would taste like, so they had asked a close friend of theirs' to be a guinea pig. Said friend was having doubts as he heard yet another explosion.

As he looked towards the door that led to the basement, he could see smoke of every color possible, and somehow even a few not possible, he questioned why he had said yes to the two.

*Flashback*

“Key! Key! Key! Key! Key! Guess what! Guess what! Guess what,” a mass of pink bouncing up and down had said excitedly to the white pegasus. The pegasus who was currently the target of Pinkie's endless stream of vocalization was Keypassion Lockheart. Keypassion, or Key as he is called by friends and family, had reached out a hoof to stop the bouncing pink thing, only to find he had started bouncing instead. Resigning to Pinkie's physics-breaking antics, he replied “You're inheriting Sugarcube Corner from the Cakes?”

At this, Pinkie stopped bouncing and stuck out her tongue. “Nope, guess again.”

“You haven't had a cake in more than ten minutes?”

“Nope, but thanks for reminding me.” At this, she pulled a cupcake out of her mane and promptly stuck it in her mouth and swallowed.

“I give up then.” Keypassion was never a very good guesser. At least with Pinkie being the one asking him to guess.

“Aaaw, you're no fun,” Pinkie said with a pout. “Well, I had this idea for a super duper drink, but since it needs to be mixed in a way I don't know how, I asked Twilight to help with this and she said yes but when I explained it to her, she gave me a funny look and said who would we get to taste it for us, and I couldn't think of anypony at first, but then I had the bestest idea ever to ask you if you would so would you please? Huh? Please? Would you? Please? Please?”

'Uh-oh,' Keypassion thought, 'She's making the face.' “Pinkie, you know I can't resist that face. At least play fair for once,” he said, countering with a face of his own. He saw Pinkie falter for a split second, but quickly save face, as it were. The facial showdown lasted for a few minutes. The dam that broke first was the surprising one.

“Fine,” Pinkie huffed. She turned away, lowered to her haunches, and crossed her forelegs annoyed.

Keypassion chuckled as he moved closer to her. “You know,” he said to her backside. “I only asked you to play fair. I didn't say I wouldn't do it.” At this she turned around with a skeptical look on her face. As his words sank in, a smile appeared and quickly assimilated most of her head. She grabbed Keypassion's hoof and in a puff of dust they were gone.

*End Flashback*

As he came out of his memories, he found himself holding the vibrant liquid, and two eager mares watching him, waiting for him to drink. He nervously raised the glass to his lips, sucked in a good amount, and swallowed.

“Not bad,” Key remarked after a few seconds. “A bit heavy on the Zap Apple juice though. But then that's more of prefe-,” he cut off and dropped the glass. Twilight and Pinkie shared a look before turning their attention to the now frozen pegasus. Twilight reached out a hoof to tap him, when he suddenly took off up the stairs. The strangest thing was that even though his mane was brown and his coat was white, he left a rainbow streak behind. Curious, and a little apprehensive, Twilight teleported Pinkie and herself to right outside the library. As they searched for the experiment gone wrong, they kept seeing rainbow blurs every now and then brushing it off as Rainbow Dash trying out new tricks.

“Pinkie, do you see him anywhere?”

“Hmm, nope.”

Twilight gave a groan at this. “Do you have any idea why he just suddenly took off?” Pinkie just stared at Twilight. “Right, sorry.” They were about to tell Rainbow Dash to stop her stunt practice and help them look for Keypassion when she suddenly landed next to them.

“Twilight,” Rainbow yelled. “You gotta help me! There's this rainbow pegasus flying too fast for me to catch up! He's going to get hurt if he doesn't slow down!” Twilight just stood there, jaw dropped, looking at Rainbow Dash. “Wait, if you're here Rainbow Dash, then...”

Rainbow looked away from Twilight and turned her attention to Pinkie. “You mind telling me what's going on Pinkie?”

“Well,” she started. “I came up with this really neat idea for a new drink, but I had no idea where to start so I went to Twilight for some help and she said yes, but then we needed somepony to taste test it since I like things to be sweeter than most ponies can handle and Twilight doesn't really pay attention to how things taste most of the time, so I asked Key, and he said yes, so when the drink was complete he said it wasn't bad but then he froze and suddenly took off flying and now we can't find him and *gasp* oh my Celestia! I think that the rainbow pegasus is him we need to catch him before he gets hurt!”

It took Rainbow Dash a few seconds to understand what Pinkie had said. And even then, she still didn't understand what she had said. “Pinkie, could you repeat that, but slower?”

It was at that moment that Keypassion had finally stopped and landed. Instead of his usual pure white coat, it was iridescently rainbow. His mane and tail had changed to be similar to Rainbow Dash's, but the colors weren't as separated. Instead they seemed to fade into each other. His eyes remained the same, though they were dilated in an extreme manner, and he appeared to be vibrating.

“I am become rainbow,” he uttered, voice drastically altered by the prismatic concoction. “Herald of lights.” He stood for a few moments before taking off in the direction of Canterlot.

“That can't be good,” Twilight muttered worriedly.

*One Hour Later*

Twilight had finished gathering the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony in her house/library to give them a rundown on the situation. They had finally decided on a plan of action and were about to head out the door when there was a sudden knock.

“Spike, would you mind getting that while we get ready,” Twilight called up the stairs.

“Sure,” Spike called back in a monotone. He returned within mere seconds with the biggest look of shock on his face. “Twi? It's Keypassion. He was the one at the door.” Pinkie was out the door faster than Rainbow Dash trying to set a new speed record. The others weren't far behind.

“Hello girls,” Key said with a minor hint of exhaustion in his voice. “I woke up in Canterlot, specifically in the royal gardens, about ten minutes ago, and the last thing I can remember is Pinkie and Twilight asking me to taste something. Would you mind filling me in on what happened?”

He was met with blank faces and silence, until Twilight stepped forward. “You froze, your coat and mane changed colors, and I mean the entire visible spectrum, then you took of and flew around Ponyville for about five minutes before landing, speaking nonsense and suddenly shooting off in the direction of Canterlot,” she explained with amazement. “The fact you don't remember any of this is astounding. I've got to perform more tests on this mixture.”

The once again ivory pegasus just stared at the alicorn like she had lost her mind. “I do not think that would be a wise course of action if what happened to me, a pegasus, is any indication. I'd shudder to think what would happen to an earth pony, a unicorn, or even an alicorn.”

“Hey,” Pinkie suddenly exclaimed. “Key was right, the Zap Apple is a bit much! Twilight, we need to fix this!”

“If you ladies would excuse me, I'm in great need of some sleep. I leave the Pinkie hunt in your capable hooves.” And with that, he walked off just as Pinkie froze.

The End

• Brohoof 2