Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions What does Poniverse and the forums run on?

Pinkie-Guy
Go to solution Solved by Twilight Sparkle ✨,

What hardware and software run Poniverse and the forums?  I'm curious to know all the nuts and bolts.

I'm not one of the devs, but I'll try and answer what I can with my own personal knowledge. This will not be everything. 

Poniverse sites run on an Nginx Server. You can read more about that here. You like CNN and Netflix? They use Nginx as well. It's multi platform. I'll see if someone else can chime in on OS and hardware specs of the actual servers. Basically they are enterprise level servers. They are using some modern techniques and frameworks including .less CSS preprocessor (cause less is cool ... so is sass), Bootstrap, AngularJS, JQuery UI, and several API's needed for the streaming function on EQ.TV. 

MLPF - the software is the IPS created IP.Board. It uses PHP 5+ which is a server based scripting language. PHP, HTML, CSS, XML, AJAX, JS, MySQL, etc all work to make the board what it is. 

Ponyroleplay - This is in development. But we have confirmed that we are using a different forum software vendor. 

If others wish to elaborate on back-end (and front-end items I missed) they can

• Brohoof 8

@@Pinkie-Guy, you a dev perchance? :)

Here's a little list of what's behind our services:

Most of our code is in PHP, and MariaDB is our database of choice.

We have 12 active virtual servers, most of them running Ubuntu Server and on one of two dedicated servers. They're similarly specced, but we have SSD's in one box and HDD's in the other:

• Intel Xeon E3-1245v2
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Software RAID1
  • OS/Environment: Proxmox VE
  • Brohoof 6

@@Pinkie-Guy, you a dev perchance? :)

Here's a little list of what's behind our services:

Most of our code is in PHP, and MariaDB is our database of choice.

We have 12 active virtual servers, most of them running Ubuntu Server and on one of two dedicated servers. They're similarly specced, but we have SSD's in one box and HDD's in the other:

• Intel Xeon E3-1245v2
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Software RAID1
  • OS/Environment: Proxmox VE

I'm not a dev, but I'm curious and interested in systems of all kinds.  I studied mathematics in college so I like breaking things down and looking at underlying structures and algorithms.  My direct knowledge is relatively small since I haven't learned anything other than Matlab and some basic Java, though I know graph theory has a ton of applications in this sort of thing.  I'm not familiar with the syntax in anything else.  How many devs work on the many faces of Poniverse and why use different forum software for the unreleased PonyRoleplay?

• Brohoof 1

How many devs work on the many faces of Poniverse and why use different forum software for the unreleased PonyRoleplay?

There are about five active Poniverse developers right now, myself included.

Since PonyRoleplay is a brand new site, it's a great opportunity to try something new. At the time MLP Forums was founded, we found IP.Board to be the best forum software for our needs. XenForo has come a long way in the past three years, however, and we feel it's a better choice for new forum communities today.

Some of XenForo's benefits:

• (relatively) modern MVC-style codebase, which is easier to understand and work with than IP.Board
  • strong user experience is a key focus of the product
  • mobile-friendly out of the box

For what we're doing with PonyRoleplay, it makes a great foundation. :)

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...

The question has been answered, and the OP has not requested more information, or any clarification, in over a month. Going to go ahead and lock this.

If you have any further questions, feel free to start a new thread! :muffins: