Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Children's show or family show?

Plonkett

I love this kind of shows =) I feel this is the kind of show that can glue families bonds deeper together =) something that people all ages can enjoy together =) These kind of activities are a rarity these days I would  say. But the moments that families share together watching the episodes are special.

that is why I would call this a family show 

• Brohoof 2

Family show. It is even described as that genre, and people just immediately see it as a children's show simply because of the art. I mean, if so many people varying to my age to my father's age enjoy it, gotta put it down as that.

• Brohoof 2

I love this show, but I'm having a hard time thinking whether this is just a children's show or a family show that's made for everyone. What of the two do you feel it is?

A family show that's made for everyone. Don't listen to what Hasbro says, they're full of crap.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's a family show. What kind of parents hate colorful, taking ponies? And it's not extremely kiddy, and they don't talk down on you. There's something in it for everyone. :wub:

Well considering stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67GXh2JcBBs

To me this is definitely a family oriented show.

And yes, little references and jokes that only the grown-ups will get are a sure sign of it being a family show! :)

• Brohoof 2

Of course its a family show. Children's shows are a pain to sit through if your any older then say 7..

There are plenty of subtle nods and jokes that give older viewers a chuckle too, the producers know who are watching. ;)

It's definitely a family show, do you know what does a kids show look like? It's different, there's no action, the characters talk slowly etc.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 3

Even though the show was started to appeal to kids, it's definitely developed into a family show past season 1, and even season 1 was pretty high quality for what some would call a 'childrens' show

• Brohoof 1

Without a doubt, a family show. Faust confirmed that by critiquing the kind of pandering that plagues feminine shows and supporting the adult brony fandom, and there are several well-done references and morals in the show that transcend its base demographic. Objectively good TV has no demographic, and FIM and the brony fandom prove that.

Edited by Old King Q

Family show, Lauren Faust did have young children in mind but said on many occasions they weren't the only people she had in mind. She said she also had parents including male parents and others in mind. Since season 3 and season 4 some darker and more mature themes have been included in the show that may not have been included if the brony fanbase did not exist. The youngsters haven't been forgotten of course but there is a lot of evidence in the show that the creators have noticed the expanded audience and are trying to keep that balance of the younger and older fans.

It's a family show. And it shows, considering the dark themes of the later seasons, as well as the abundance of pop culture references. I think that it was rather clever that MLP:FiM's target audience is for everyone, considering the slice-of-life themes and how most of these morals are helpful to everyone.

Really, the reason it is mistaken as a children's show is how Hasbro advertises it, with all of the gaudy pink hearts and whatnot. Another reason is because of some of the previous generations (G3.5 especially), but thankfully MLP:FiM defies all of these generalisations by not relying on stereotypes.

• 5 years later...
On 2/21/2015 at 9:42 PM, vgmaster9 said:

What of the two do you feel it is?

I think it is a children's show. And that's what makes it so unique, that is is made for children, but grown-ups like it too.

A family show is more like The Simpsons. No one is asking any questions. There is nothing special about watching it.

• 1 year later...