Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you watch a My Little Pony Sitcom?

Jimmy Page Fan

If there was a sitcom based on MLP:FiM, would you watch it? It would directed to the older audience a bit more, with references and innuendo. However, it would still be suitable for children. Every episode would be a slice of life episode, seeing as it's a sitcom.

I'd like to see that actually. Or they could have an episode of big bang dedicated to it. Sheldon being Twilight of course  :o

I was thinking more of a Seinfeld, but I guess big bang would be better. And yes, twi is Sheldon. Howard... Hmm which pony would he be? Featherweight?

• Brohoof 1

I was thinking more of a Seinfeld, but I guess big bang would be better. And yes, twi is Sheldon. Howard... Hmm which pony would he be? Featherweight?

No, he'd be a combo of snips and snails. One of my friends looks a lot like Howard. XD

I dunno; sitcoms seem to be done to death these days, and they've been done to death for a while. I have my doubts that it would work...

• Brohoof 2

It really sounds like one of those things that probably wouldn't work as show but would make a great fanfic or comic, they sort of went down that route with My Little Pony Tales which many mistakenly refer to as G2 which had no cartoon series but was actually more like G1.5 in order to appeal to older girls and teenagers and it was a huge step backwards for the franchise. Equestria Girls was made with similar intentions but even though the movies have some flaws of their own that was quite a bit more successful, there are rumors of a tv show and if it does come to pass it will hopefully be good.

I don't think I would, actually. I'm fine with the show being what it is and sitcoms never really interested me that much. Aside from that I think laugh tracks are incredibly obnoxious.

I also don't think innuendo is necessary in MLP. I like the show because it's cute and innocent. It doesn't need to be more adult-oriented IMO.

You know, you've just given me an idea. I want to recut a few episodes and add in some canned laughter in a bunch of spots, and insert some unnecessary pauses in the dialogue so there's enough time for laugh tracks to finish playing. It'll be just like a 60s or 70s sitcom xD

Snips and Snails could be like the Lenny and Squiggy of MLP :P

I'm not sure. Most sitcoms don't really appeal to me especially live action ones that overuse the laughtrack. Maybe it could work but they should make some appealing plots and they shouldn't use too many cutaway gags.

No.

No, no, no, no, no.

That's a "no" for each of the main characters, because I'm generous. Not just because the basic idea does nothing for me, and I am inherently against anything that makes the ponies more "edgy" in canon.

But there's also the problem that genuinely good sitcoms are so rare that it's far too great a risk to take with something as precious as MLP. Even the sitcoms people say are good, they're really NOT that good. They're either teen shows where plasticky-looking people don't even bother acting but just try to out-quirk each other (Big Bang Theory), or "family" shows that are 25 minutes of bilious insults (Two and a Half Men).

The show is already kind of a sitcom isn't it???  I know it's not exactly a sitcom, because it has action/adventure stuff mixed in, but for the most part, it is akin to a sitcom.  Most of the episodes are slice of life after all.  Also, just like a sitcom, it strikes that same kind of ballence between self contained episodes and series long story lines.  It's bassically a sitcom already. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope.

I really don't like sitcoms :/ they rarely make me laugh, and the times they make me facepalm at how lame a joke is outnumber the times they actually provoke a small chuckle by far... not to mention a laughter track after every joke would make it incredibly stupid...
 If a joke is actually funny, I shouldn't be told when I have to laugh.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think that I would watch it. I'm not a big sitcom fan myself, plus I love MLP for what it is now with the animation being a huge reason. If you were to take out the animation that makes it fun a sitcom just couldn't do it justice.

As a fan of both sitcoms and MLP, I'd watch it, but I don't like the idea. Equestria Girls was hard enough to deal with the MLP characters being separated from their original environment, just as hard as it was for die-hard Looney Tunes fans to see their characters adapt to a sitcom environment. These characters would not translate well into the kind of writing styles that dominate most sitcoms today.

Sitcoms today are generally really stupid and blunt with their humor. Also one wouldn't make ANY sense with MLP's theme. In other words, it would be downright atrocious and I certainly wouldn't care for it.

Though there are exceptions to my first argument, including Brooklyn Nine-Nine that actually execute it well, and certainly EXCLUDING the Big Bang Theory.

Edited by TwillyFSniper

• 1 month later...