Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Royal Guard Discussion

Critical Mass

I notice they all seem and look the same (with putting Shining Armor and Flash Sentry as an exception) now before some of you direct me to a fanfic like "The golden armor" or "night guards" don't I already get the idea. the point is what are they hiding, why do most of them look the same and, where are the earth pony guards (I know what most of you are gonna say about the crystal guards) I've seen all even a changeling in armor someone tell me about them cause they're a bit secretive to me.

img-3528666-1-my_little_pony__armored_gu

As for the members of this forum that are and wear guard uniforms you just remind me too much of centurions.

Now could knights or paladins be guards too I always wondered...

img-3528666-2-Prismatic_paladin.jpg

Note: If there already is a topic on this sorry I just couldn't find it.

mlp_fim_armour__canterlot_royal_guards_b

I believe this is what humanoid guard's armoy consist of.

Edited by Decanus Nexus
  • Brohoof 1

I think they all look the same because it would be a really big pain for the creators to constantly think of new guard ponies that appear for a very short time.

They would also have to save some of them to be reused in episodes and it seems like a whole big mess. I think that's why they all look the same.

And members that wear royal guard armor? Where can I get that for my OC? Lol xD

I think that's why all the royal guards look the same*

• Brohoof 2

:o I see, they used the mirror pond, very clever.

Now there was also the idea that guard armor would change the mane and coat color like the way changelings do except it's not in most ways evil and it has one look to it.

Edited by Corporal Genuine

(edited)

Perhaps you have to be born into this position? I think it's just the writers keeping their looks consistent, plus they look more like one army when they all look the same.... I don't know how to say that last part properly. They just look kire uniform if they had the same design.

Edited by SparkWolf

Armour looks more greek than roman to me to be honest... Centurin helms are different.

Maybe its like an order... and all of them are inbred to ensure the pure race =/

Perhaps you have to be born into this position? I think it's just the writers keeping their looks consistent, plus they look more like one army when they all look the same.... I don't know how to say that last part properly. They just look kire uniform if they had the same design.

They have to be born as ponies with the ability to stay still for hours and get owned by anything =p

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's to ensure a look of uniformity amongst the ranks. Not too surprising since every military in the world does it. Instead of just mane shaving, it's mane & coat dying. Why no earth ponies? Well they can't match the speed & weather manipulation of pegasi, the magic of unicorns & now... whatever the hell crystal ponies do. They would just be put in harms way, when they could be doing something more productive for their country. Same reason why people of specific heights & weights can't join the military. 

• Brohoof 1

Now it is known that the royal guards use spears as weapons, however I would like to know what sorts of weapons, firearms, spells, and potions these equestrian warriors use.

And they also fight with hooves I know that.

Maybe the writers didn't feel like putting forth effort into adding characterization and diversity to the typical plentiful cannon fodder.

That, and maybe the creators likely just like to leave things up to fan interpretation. It's been done in other media so it is not out of the question.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, very intriguing this RG bussiness. I agree that the main reason for them to look the same, is because it's a pain to change colors constantly. It works well though, as it gives the vibe of them using uniform, like real life soldiers, with difering colors indicating units and roles

I wonder if we'll ever see female royal guards. :P

Yeah, it's unusual that we have yet to see Royal Guard mares in a world were mares are more seen than stallions  :huh:

I notice they all seem and look the same (with putting Shining Armor and Flash Sentry as an exception) now before some of you direct me to a fanfic like "The golden armor" or "night guards" don't I already get the idea. the point is what are they hiding, why do most of them look the same and, where are the earth pony guards (I know what most of you are gonna say about the crystal guards)

I think the Royal Guard who told Celestia about Sombra's return is an earth pony, the only one so far apart of the Crystal Empire's ones

I'm also under the impression that it's so the animators can save at least a little bit of time to meet deadlines.

It also doesn't really matter if they look identical, because like several of you already said, they're just background characters who're on screen for a whole five seconds...

@

Just letting you know that as your topic deals with an aspect of the show I have moved it to Show Discussion. Keep in mind that Sugarcube Corner is for fandom related topics while anything dealing with the show goes in Show Discussion.

Thanks. :)

As someone else mentioned, it's probably intentional to create a uniform look.  Applicants probably have to match a certain height and weight, then they trim and dye their coats and mane/tail to match.  Or maybe they submit to a spell that alters their appearance?  Either way, it might be partially symbolic of them sacrificing their individual identities/lives for the princesses.

It does make me wonder whether there are guard families, kind of like there are military and police families IRL.  Maybe some of the resemblance is familial. 

Also, did Shining Armor work his way up the ranks, or do unicorns from upper class families get made officers automatically (like they used to in European armies)? 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...