Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"What is wrong with our culture?"

Flutter's lover <3

nothing is wrong with our culture, nothing is wrong with many cultures, but most people have been corrupted into believing other cultures are wrong

it's a powerful message, im glad you found this

There is indeed something wrong with our culture and the world in general.

Of course love is more dangerous than violence. If the people of a nation stand together there is nothing they cannot achieve, no goal that cannot be reached. The problem with that is that the leader of such a group will inevitably use it for their own good, not the good of the people. Even systems that purport to be equal for all like true communism are corrupted into mockeries of themselves where the people suffer and a small elite hold power.

But a hive-minded collective where individuality is stamped out for the greater good is no better solution than what we face now. True harmony brings the freedom to do as you see fit, as long as it doesn't hinder those around you, but people are envious and will always want more than others.

Human society is inherently flawed because we are flawed beings. Perfect harmony will never be reached, because aggression is in our blood. It's all well and good to try and change the world for the better but the simple fact is that any ideal can and will be twisted by power. We'd need a leader without flaws if we are to stand as one, but what if we disagree with the direction that leader chooses to send us in? Internal strife would break out once again, and everything would collapse.

True anarchy might work if people weren't always out to get the best for themselves, no matter what the consequences are for others.

Any system of government will eventually fail because of our nature. I've often heard it said that humans are the only ones destroying each other and nature on such a large scale, but that's really only because we alone have the means to. Any animal that would gain sapience would end up in the same way.

In short, true harmony without magical means is impossible, but if it were to be achieved it would be, by far, the strongest force on the planet.

(Not trying to stir the hornet's nest, but that always confused me in the Bible: The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other." Why on Earth would God sow discord intentionally?)

Of course love is more dangerous than violence. If the people of a nation stand together there is nothing they cannot achieve, no goal that cannot be reached. The problem with that is that the leader of such a group will inevitably use it for their own good, not the good of the people. Even systems that purport to be equal for all like true communism are corrupted into mockeries of themselves where the people suffer and a small elite hold power.

But a hive-minded collective where individuality is stamped out for the greater good is no better solution than what we face now. True harmony brings the freedom to do as you see fit, as long as it doesn't hinder those around you, but people are envious and will always want more than others.

Human society is inherently flawed because we are flawed beings. Perfect harmony will never be reached, because aggression is in our blood. It's all well and good to try and change the world for the better but the simple fact is that any ideal can and will be twisted by power. We'd need a leader without flaws if we are to stand as one, but what if we disagree with the direction that leader chooses to send us in? Internal strife would break out once again, and everything would collapse.

True anarchy might work if people weren't always out to get the best for themselves, no matter what the consequences are for others.

Any system of government will eventually fail because of our nature. I've often heard it said that humans are the only ones destroying each other and nature on such a large scale, but that's really only because we alone have the means to. Any animal that would gain sapience would end up in the same way.

In short, true harmony without magical means is impossible, but if it were to be achieved it would be, by far, the strongest force on the planet.

(Not trying to stir the hornet's nest, but that always confused me in the Bible: The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other." Why on Earth would God sow discord intentionally?)

'True' harmony can and will never be achieved. Fact is, people are different. We have different goals, different desires and different view points. If we were to be truly in harmony and sync, we'd all have to be the same, act the same, feel the same and see the same.

We live on borrowed time. All we can do is to make the best of it and enjoy our lives.

It's interesting to think that Alan Watts died more than forty years ago and yet his evaluation of our society's flaws has only become more poignant over time. Much of our 'progress' is a very dubious matter when you consider the underlying reasons and implications.

@@KatonRyu, Nothing of any value was ever achieved by doubting its possibility.

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 1

This video resonated strongly with me for a very specific reason.  The whole idea that the narrator spoke of about the meaning of life being to escape into electronic entertainment feels very true, and it frustrates me.  I feel like all there is to do in this world is buy stuff and then go home and watch tv and movies and play games.  I know there are other things to do.  One could play sports for example.  But it just feels like the vast majority of the time, we're shut off in our individual, isolated little worlds created by the electronic entertainment, like the narrator said.  I want to live in a world where the days are filled with social activity, where you actually do things, not just work some job you hate, then rush home to escape into your lcd screens.  I want to live in a world filled with talking, with movement, with dancing, with expressions of love.  I want to go to balls and galas.  But such things don't seem to exist.

It's interesting to think that Alan Watts died more than forty years ago and yet his evaluation of our society's flaws has only become more poignant over time. Much of our 'progress' is a very dubious matter when you consider the underlying reasons and implications.

@@KatonRyu, Nothing of any value was ever achieved by doubting its possibility.

Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing if humanity somehow reached the point of true harmony, it's just that I'm quite sceptical by nature and it seems highly unlikely that it will ever happen.

Until then, I'll just live to make myself and those close to me happy, and not worry about everything that's wrong with the society I live in. I guess that makes me a part of the problem, though.

but how is the world going to become a better place without harmony?

but how is the world going to become a better place without harmony?

It isn't. We need harmony, but the problem is that seven billion people will never be tolerant enough of one another to enable perfect harmony. Violence will not disappear anytime soon, I'm afraid.

I sincerely hope I'll be proven wrong one day, and that humanity will prove it can stand together as one.

Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing if humanity somehow reached the point of true harmony, it's just that I'm quite skeptical by nature and it seems highly unlikely that it will ever happen.  

Perhaps I don't fully understand what you mean by 'harmony'. Harmony, in my opinion, is a man-made concept;  a perception that tries to enforce order in a world largely devoid of it. The universe is not in harmony, at least not in the peaceful way we like to envision the term. It is constantly changing, often in very violent ways. Harmony can be a desire for a point of time and condition(relative to our perception) that never ceases being that point in time. Of course there are natural 'laws' that can be observed as principles for understanding the way reality functions, but this does not necessarily mean we have control over circumstances. 

That's not to say that the patterns of the cosmos are an excuse for the worst of human behaviors or mentalities, I'm not trying to espouse a fatalism of any kind and I do believe in the potential and responsibility of humanity. But it should be obvious that pure, unchanging equilibrium of the kind where everything either stays the same, constantly improves or at the very least never worsens is such an enormous request that it almost suggests a disconnect from reality nearing insanity. Moreover I would say that kind of existence could be absolutely stagnant and dreadful from a certain point of view.

So you're skepticism is rightfully warranted. But any skepticism that bases itself on doubt implicitly certifies certainty as well, and this certainty of the conditions in which you are skeptical can develop into a bitter cynicism. I've never considered cynicism a productive state of mind myself, not when it comes to solving problems

Until then, I'll just live to make myself and those close to me happy, and not worry about everything that's wrong with the society I live in. I guess that makes me a part of the problem, though.

That sounds more like the beginning of a solution to me. I mean, if we don't bothering caring about ourselves and the people closest to us then how can we expect to extend care to everyone else? The task of moving society forward cannot be placed on the shoulders of just one or even a few. It's that kind of mentality that has and still does keep in the world in a disproportionately slanted power balance which has continued the destructive cycle we're seeing over and over again.

I guess as far as myself is concerned I try to be mindful of the world around me and possible ways I might help without becoming so obsessed over every single issue and problem to the point I become overwhelmed and stressed. I'm pretty sure that's not an effective remedy.

It isn't. We need harmony, but the problem is that seven billion people will never be tolerant enough of one another to enable perfect harmony. Violence will not disappear anytime soon, I'm afraid.

No, it will not. In fact it's unlikely it ever shall completely disappear. And yet, overall world violence including wars and genocide has gradually declined over the past several decades, absolute poverty is declining for many of the poorest parts of the world, preventable disease rates are lower in most parts of the world than ever before and the capability of our species to improve the quality of lives has never been greater. Granted there are still many, many problems that have come with our successes but I do not believe these are utterly insoluble. Progress is possible, but like you've mentioned it takes cooperation, focus and hard work. B)

What culture is the video about?

Western first world consumerist culture and it's second and third world counterparts. Everything in our lives is influenced by this culture in some way or another.

• Brohoof 1

Oh well. They're nothing we can do about it.

I beg to differ. Our culture is the product of how we each live our lives. It's the result of what we do and it influences us as much as we influence it. Culture is not static; it is constantly changing, though not always for the better in every aspect.

I beg to differ. Our culture is the product of how we each live our lives. It's the result of what we do and it influences us as much as we influence it. Culture is not static; it is constantly changing, though not always for the better in every aspect.

I don't see how people can outgrow consumerism. What would replace it? Communism?

This is the type of video that simultaneously makes you feel like you're intelligent and cultured but doesn't actually say anything. Our culture has:

Lessened Poverty (And is continuing to do so.)

Made the Motherfucking Internet

Has cured diseases that a century ago were a death sentence.

Has enabled travel between two arbitrary points on the ENTIRE planet within 24 hours.

Given people light 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365.25 days a year.

Given the stay at home mom about... six?... extra hours of productive time through the invention of household appliances.

Maybe... MAYBE... the things this man brings up- the distance between people, the emptiness of "consummerism" (you're actually conflating this with materialism), diminishing returns for our developments (mathematical constant for EVERYTHING), etc. are... you know... OKAY. That the world we live in is not going to every be something we're happy with and that our lot in existence is to basically fight for every happiness and advancement we can acheive.

I could go on. But I'm sure nothing I can say would really convince you (the people that actually think that video WASN'T five minutes of life you'll never get back) that our culture is "good".

• Brohoof 1

I don't see how people can outgrow consumerism. What would replace it? Communism?

Not likely, considering Capitalism, despite how flawed it is, has still shown to be the most effective economic system.

• Brohoof 1

Essentially what he said we should be doing is what most people already do on their weekends.

In the weekdays however it could be more going on, but that's mainly the individuals fault.

If I wanted I could step away from the computer and engage in social engagements and music right now.

• Brohoof 1

I'm mostly unaffected by this..

It's just saying "Be glad with what you have, keep family/friend relationships alive,meet new people, love your fellow man..."

Nothing new to see here. XD

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps I don't fully understand what you mean by 'harmony'. Harmony, in my opinion, is a man-made concept;  a perception that tries to enforce order in a world largely devoid of it. The universe is not in harmony, at least not in the peaceful way we like to envision the term. It is constantly changing, often in very violent ways. Harmony can be a desire for a point of time and condition(relative to our perception) that never ceases being that point in time. Of course there are natural 'laws' that can be observed as principles for understanding the way reality functions, but this does not necessarily mean we have control over circumstances. 

You're completely correct. I even believe we shouldn't try to enforce control of nature's laws and that we certainly shouldn't stop change. 'Harmony' as I use it here would be something akin to world peace. (Although I am using the 'unchanging equilibrium' variety in a fic I'm currently writing.)

I guess as far as myself is concerned I try to be mindful of the world around me and possible ways I might help without becoming so obsessed over every single issue and problem to the point I become overwhelmed and stressed. I'm pretty sure that's not an effective remedy.

That is exactly what I try to do, although I will admit I sometimes come across as quite callous.

No, it will not. In fact it's unlikely it ever shall completely disappear. And yet, overall world violence including wars and genocide has gradually declined over the past several decades, absolute poverty is declining for many of the poorest parts of the world, preventable disease rates are lower in most parts of the world than ever before and the capability of our species to improve the quality of lives has never been greater. Granted there are still many, many problems that have come with our successes but I do not believe these are utterly insoluble. Progress is possible, but like you've mentioned it takes cooperation, focus and hard work. B)

Things are definitely looking up. I just hope we can continue that line and make the world even better.

• Brohoof 1

Bah

What I don't see, is why people cant work this out for themselves

what we are doing, why love is more restricted than violence. 

The people need education to think rationally, its the same process as "give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day, teach him to fish, and he will eat for the rest of his life"

This is why homophobes, sexists, racists, extremists, anti humanists in general annoy me.

Why can they not see that we are all born equal, and putting yourself above another is quite simply illogical

We are mere clouds of atoms and particles, standing on a larger cloud of atoms and particles. What makes us special is that we are aware of this. We are completely insignificant in comparison to the scope of the universe but why should that be a concern of ours? We are animals, grown though natural selection and we have a need to survive, unfortunately at the expense of others at times. We are still fallible creatures, but if people actually become aware of their own existence instead of fighting, killing, hurting others, giving in to their own, harmful desires. To think as the society as we should be, with a leader instead of a boss. Why can we not just realize that all this hate, all this ridiculous battling over imagined boundaries is useless compared to the scope of what actually is, and what we could achieve as a whole race, together. Instead of being held back by illogical teachings, and people who see themselves as better than others. Why cant we, instead of separate countries and states, work together as one race. 

Goddam stoopid pplz

On other topic, I really dont like televisions. I feel they are a waste of time.