Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinion on cigars.

FlitterFlutter

Like, blunts?  :wacko:

Haven't really tried any kind of tobacco, I can't stand the smell of it. Probably because my mother used to be a heavy smoker.

Nah, b. Real cuban cigars. xD The ones they smoke in Scarface.  :D

Edited by Guest

They're probably not my thing, though they give you the look of some gangster/badass dude  :bedeyes:

Or rich. Real deal cuban cigars are quite expensive, something like 500$ for a box.  :wacko:

Unlikely, considering you don't inhale a cigar. 

Most cigar smokers don't but some do. In any case there are still a plethora of cancer related illnesses related to the activity.

From page 4 ad 5 of the 2014 'Cigar Smoking Study' by the American Cancer Society:

"What kinds of illness and death are caused
by smoking cigars?

Regular cigar smoking increases your risk for many cancers, including:
• Lung
• Lip
• Oral cavity (tongue, mouth, and/or throat)
• Esophagus (the tube connecting the mouth to the stomach)
• Larynx (voice box)

Studies have shown that regular cigar smokers are 4 to 10 times more likely to die from
cancers of the mouth, larynx, and esophagus than non-smokers. For those who inhale,
cigar smoking appears to be linked to death from cancer of the pancreas and bladder, too.
How you smoke and how much you smoke are both important. Cigar smokers may spend
an hour smoking one large cigar that can contain as much tobacco as a pack of cigarettes.
Smoking more cigars each day or inhaling cigar smoke leads to more exposure and
higher risks. The health risks linked to occasional cigar smoking (less than daily) are less
clear."

And also more on inhaling from the same article and page:

"Does inhaling affect the risk of cancer?

Almost all cigarette smokers inhale, but in the past most cigar smokers typically did not.
This could be because cigar smoke tends to irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and breathing
passages. A new trend among cigar companies is to change the fermenting process to
make cigar smoke easier to inhale. This curing and fermenting process enhances the
flavor but also increases the levels of harmful ingredients. Many of the smaller cigarettelike
cigars have filters, which also makes them easier to inhale.

In those who don’t inhale, tobacco smoke does not reach the lungs in the same amounts
as it does in cigarette smokers. As a result, the risk of death from lung cancer for cigar
smokers who don’t inhale is not as high as it is for cigarette smokers. Still, it is many
times higher than the risk for non-smokers. Keep in mind that even cigar smokers who
don’t inhale are still breathing in large amounts of smoke that comes from their mouths
and the lit end of the cigar.

Cigars that are about the size of cigarettes are changing the way cigars are smoked and
how “cigar” is defined. Researchers have found that when surveying people about cigar
use, the use of brand examples helps improve accuracy of the estimates. Some smokers
think of smaller cigars as cigarettes, and we know that they tend to smoke them the same
way. The health outcomes of this remain to be seen. But we do have some data because
cigar smokers who have smoked cigarettes are more likely to inhale.
According to an American Cancer Society study, cigar smokers who inhale have an 11
times greater risk of death from lung cancer than non-smokers. This study also found that
cigar smokers who inhale are at increased risk for other types of cancer, too. Compared to
non-smokers, cigar smokers who inhale deeply:

• Are 7 times more likely to die from tongue, mouth, and/or throat (oral) cancer
• Are 39 times more likely to die from cancer of the voice box (larynx)
• Face about 3 times the risk of death from cancer of the pancreas
• Face about 4 times the risk of death from bladder cancer"

Quite. It's mouth cancer you should be more concerned about.

Yes, that is a thing.

very true, though cigars being 100% natural and not having all them chemicals and crap they put in cigarettes, the risk is much lower. I understand their is still a risk though.

Most cigar smokers don't but some do. In any case there are still a plethora of cancer related illnesses related to the activity.

From page 4 ad 5 of the 2014 'Cigar Smoking Study' by the American Cancer Society:

"What kinds of illness and death are caused
by smoking cigars?

Regular cigar smoking increases your risk for many cancers, including:
• Lung
• Lip
• Oral cavity (tongue, mouth, and/or throat)
• Esophagus (the tube connecting the mouth to the stomach)
• Larynx (voice box)

Studies have shown that regular cigar smokers are 4 to 10 times more likely to die from
cancers of the mouth, larynx, and esophagus than non-smokers. For those who inhale,
cigar smoking appears to be linked to death from cancer of the pancreas and bladder, too.
How you smoke and how much you smoke are both important. Cigar smokers may spend
an hour smoking one large cigar that can contain as much tobacco as a pack of cigarettes.
Smoking more cigars each day or inhaling cigar smoke leads to more exposure and
higher risks. The health risks linked to occasional cigar smoking (less than daily) are less
clear."

And also more on inhaling from the same article and page:

"Does inhaling affect the risk of cancer?

Almost all cigarette smokers inhale, but in the past most cigar smokers typically did not.
This could be because cigar smoke tends to irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and breathing
passages. A new trend among cigar companies is to change the fermenting process to
make cigar smoke easier to inhale. This curing and fermenting process enhances the
flavor but also increases the levels of harmful ingredients. Many of the smaller cigarettelike
cigars have filters, which also makes them easier to inhale.

In those who don’t inhale, tobacco smoke does not reach the lungs in the same amounts
as it does in cigarette smokers. As a result, the risk of death from lung cancer for cigar
smokers who don’t inhale is not as high as it is for cigarette smokers. Still, it is many
times higher than the risk for non-smokers. Keep in mind that even cigar smokers who
don’t inhale are still breathing in large amounts of smoke that comes from their mouths
and the lit end of the cigar.

Cigars that are about the size of cigarettes are changing the way cigars are smoked and
how “cigar” is defined. Researchers have found that when surveying people about cigar
use, the use of brand examples helps improve accuracy of the estimates. Some smokers
think of smaller cigars as cigarettes, and we know that they tend to smoke them the same
way. The health outcomes of this remain to be seen. But we do have some data because
cigar smokers who have smoked cigarettes are more likely to inhale.
According to an American Cancer Society study, cigar smokers who inhale have an 11
times greater risk of death from lung cancer than non-smokers. This study also found that
cigar smokers who inhale are at increased risk for other types of cancer, too. Compared to
non-smokers, cigar smokers who inhale deeply:

• Are 7 times more likely to die from tongue, mouth, and/or throat (oral) cancer
• Are 39 times more likely to die from cancer of the voice box (larynx)
• Face about 3 times the risk of death from cancer of the pancreas
• Face about 4 times the risk of death from bladder cancer"

Read the OP I am only taking about quality hand rolled long leaf cigars, not some cheep gas station thing, they is just a glorified flavored cigarette.

Also if you do in-hail a cigar you are an idiot anyway.

ooooh, boy.... heckuva story about cigars

My dad really likes cigars, so he wanted to treat me with my first one, which was definitely 100% legal in my country and totally not a Cuban :smug:

Anyway, so he went on and on about the culture of smoking cigars and forgot to mention the actual important stuff... like the effects of a strong cigar will still be increasing (not remaining steady) over half an hour after you've stopped smoking...

10 minutes later I was too dizzy to stand

20 minutes later, I had to lay my head down

30 minute later I was watching as my dinner flew back out of my mouth and into the toilet while feeling like death...

Buuuut that hasn't necessarily turned me off of cigars, you bet I'll be trying them again! :yay:  I just won't be making the same mistake twice.

As for my opinion on health, sure smoking is bad for you, but so are twinkies!

The point is a good cigar every now and then isn't gonna hurt you, and certainly won't addict you so long as you take it in moderation

Edited by Hocus Pocus

ooooh, boy.... heckuva story about cigars

My dad really likes cigars, so he wanted to treat me with my first one, which was definitely 100% legal and totally not a Cuban :smug:

Anyway, so he went on and on about the culture of smoking cigars and forgot to mention the actual important stuff... like the effects of a strong cigar will still be increasing (not remaining steady) over half an hour after you've stopped smoking...

10 minutes later I was too dizzy to stand

20 minutes later, I had to lay my head down

30 minute later I was watching as my dinner flew back out of my mouth and into the toilet while feeling like death...

Buuuut that hasn't necessarily turned me off of cigars, you bet I'll be trying them again! :yay:  I just won't be making the same mistake twice.

As for my opinion on health, sure smoking is bad for you, but so are twinkies!

The point is a good cigar every now and then isn't gonna hurt you, and certainly won't addict you so long as you take it in moderation

Ha yes, Sugar helps a ton for that BTW. I remember my first was a similar experience, I go in the shop and get the most expensive one (which was also the strongest) in about 15 minuets I was running out of that lounge HAHA man those where some good times. 

• Brohoof 1

My dad went to a ball game with his coworkers once and their team won so they got cigars. And I mean the legit cigars. He only accepted it because he didn't want to be rude, and it sat on the floor of our car for about a month 'cause nobody cared about it. So, considering my family's attitude towards them, I couldn't care less about cigars (so long as I'm not getting cancer from some second-hand smoke).

All of my closed ones smoke cigarettes, but I will make a difference and I won't try those small cylinders of death. Cigarettes are very unhealthy (which is ironic because weed is absolutely illegal in my country, even if it is healthier). They put some weird chemicals in this stuff. They are also really addictive, even more than most drugs and let's not mention how expensive they are.

I recommend to anyone reading this to listen to what I just typed. Cigarettes will steal your health and money.

Edited by DifferentStereotype

All of my closed ones smoke cigarettes, but I will make a difference and I won't try those small cylinders of death. Cigarettes are very unhealthy (which is ironic because weed is absolutely illegal in my country, even if it is healthier). They put some weird chemicals in this stuff. They are also really addictive, even more than most drugs and let's not mention how expensive they are.

I recommend to anyone reading this to listen to what I just typed. Cigarettes will steal your health and money.

Please read the OP we are talking about premium cigars, 100% tabaco, no chemicals or anything in them.

The important difference as many people have stated is the fact that you don't / shouldn't inhale cigar smoke and that they don't have those chemicals in them. I honestly smoke one or two a year and keep it to that due to the health risks. Get nice ones and use them as a treat. But don't condemn others just because you don't care for the habit! Not all cigar smokers are the same. 

Please read the OP we are talking about premium cigars, 100% tabaco, no chemicals or anything in them.

Cigarettes and cigars. I haven't really used those words much, so I confuse them. I don't know much for the cigars, so I will stay neutral to avoid even more awkwardness.

Cigarettes and cigars. I haven't really used those words much, so I confuse them. I don't know much for the cigars, so I will stay neutral to avoid even more awkwardness.

Here is the difference just in case you care The tobacco in cigars is aged for approximately a year and then fermented through a process that takes another several months. This helps give the cigar a unique smell and flavor, especially when compared to cigarettes.

Also, most cigars do not have filters, another difference between a cigar and a cigarette.( this is because they dont have a ton of crap in them, like a cigarette.) (paraphrased from wise geek)

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

They will fuck you up just like any other kind of drug will. I'm not going to judge you if you use it, just please be aware of the consequences and don't fucking do it in public around people who made the choice to avoid such things.

• Brohoof 1

"Nice" cigar.  How nice is COPD?  Or lung cancer?  Smokers smoke because they're addicted.  They crave it.  Anyone who hasn't smoked can still discern how disgusting and noxious the resulting smoke from cigars or cigarettes is.  The addiction fools the brain of the addict, and the addict comes to perceive the experience as enjoyable.

• Brohoof 1