89 users have voted

1. 1. What color/s is this dress?

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Gold
    • Brown
    • Other

, this thread will not generate much serious discussion. The point of making threads is to be able to create a meaningful discussion among other members. I'm gonna lock this thread, I suggest making a blog post about it instead.

• Brohoof 3

Okay.  This is freaking weird. 

post-28429-0-75183100-1425017655_thumb.jpg

Have you seen this yet?  It's all over the internet right now, a popular illusion.  Apparently different people see this dress in completely different color schemes.  I see a white and gold dress, other people swear they see black and blue or brown and blue.  Is this for real?  Or am I really, really gullible?  What colors do you see?

• Brohoof 2

It looks pretty white and gold to me. Though the white may have the slightest of a blue tint and the gold looks a little brown.

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 2

It just changed right in front of me, im tripping out so hard. I cant handle it, I dont want to see that dress again in my whole life. Im scared of things I cant explain.

• Brohoof 3

I found an educational (and hopefully correct) post about it over here. It's apparently called a Cornsweet illusion, and it works because our brains see color relative to what it's surrounded by and how we think it's lit. The idea is, some people somehow see all the yellow, crummy lighting and correct the dress to be similar colors. It's really really weird, and it makes me wonder what else I've been confusing all this time :blink:

EDIT: It also seems to have something to do with where you perceive the light as coming from. I've read some responses from people who see the white and gold saying that it is in some kind of shadow. Their brains, believing this probably try making the whole image lighter. This results in a light blue becoming white and a sort of faded, brownish black becoming gold

The problem here is that it is also lit from the front, with a white, crappy lighting that makes the blue appear lighter and the black appear slightly browner. For people who see the white and gold, I'd suggest trying to block out the background lighting and imagining that the dress is under some kind of bright light.

Saw the blue and black all along B). I've tried seeing whether I can flip back and forth like some people seem to be able to, and I can't. Whether this is a positive thing (my mind can't be tricked into seeing things it knows aren't there!) or a negative thing (my mind isn't flexible :( ) is up for debate ^_^

• Brohoof 10

Apparently some people somehow see all the yellow, crummy lighting and correct the dress to be similar colors.

Dude!  You're right!  I blocked out the edges of the photo with my fingers and I can kinda see the blue and brown now.  :)

• Brohoof 2

It's green, am I the only one who sees the green?

no. I just showed my brother, he said it is greenyblue amd black. You're not alone xD

I saw it blue and black

• Brohoof 1