Pastel

Are you happy with your sex?  

351 users have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with your sex?

• I'm happy to be male
    • I'm male but I wish I was female
    • I'm happy to be female
    • I'm female but I wish I was male

Well I'm genderfluid so obviously not really all that proud of being biologically female. Also I wish there was an option for that on the poll. Like "somewhat" or something like that. :/

Yeah.

I get that this is a serious issue with some people now and then and should be treated with respect and dignity and all, but I do find it a bit bizarre that these days it seems like 75% of teens and young adults seem to have some form of gender dysphoria.  I mean, it's okay to be a tomboyish girl or a sensitive guy, y'know?  I kinda feel like any kid who has even slight inclinations toward anything dealing with the other gender think they have serious gender dysphoria and it's become quite a... thing.

• Brohoof 2

I would have been better off as a guy. While I'm used to being female, I've never really felt 100% happy with my assigned biological sex. I act more like a guy, and I sure as shit don't get a long real great with most other females. I am glad that I'm secure enough with being female that I wouldn't consider being transgender. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that must be.

• Brohoof 1

Kind of complicated, none of the answers fit me exactly because I'm pretty neutral and prefer the term "agender". But I do lean more towards male and have never felt comfortable (physically or emotionally) with my biological sex (female). I plan to have top surgery eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

(Sorry but this a polar question: either you're happy with your sex/gender, or you're not. I won't add an alternative option)

Edited by Blobulle

I'm very happy with who I am. I feel good in my skin, I think I look decent and I'm overall content with myself. I'm happy to be born male and I'll always be happy for that.

(edited)

Sometimes I'm glad I'm a guy, and sometimes I'm not. Both genders have their downsides.

I'd hate to be a girl and treated like I can't do things for myself. Also, girls need to be pretty cautious about being raped and stuff like that. Periods don't sound comfortable, and Pregnancy sounds like it feels like being set on fire. Also, girls don't make as much wage as guys.

There are times that I wish I was a girl though, and that's because of the stereotypes that all guys are perverts, they only think about sex, they are stupid, etc. If a guy is a virgin, he gets people laughing at him, yet if a girl is a virgin, nobody cares. Same with liking feminine things. Liking things like MLP makes us guys "gay", yet girls can get away with it. Where I live, people are all about being a "gentleman", so I was raised to do nonsense like holding doors open for people who are perfectly capable of opening them themselves. Just because someone's a girl doesn't excuse them from being able to do normal human actions. That is where feminists anger me. They want girls to be equal to guys but they don't want to do as much. That is NOT equal. Don't get me wrong, I would gladly open the door for someone with their hands full, but I wouldn't do it solely because they are female.

So, I can't give a direct answer. Sorry. We all have those times where we wish we were the other gender, but I am glad that I am a guy, too.

Edited by Judgement

For as much as I really dislike all the stuff that comes with being a female, I wouldn't want to change genders. It's what I'm born with, it's what I'm meant to be, I would gain absolutely nothing by saying I'm a guy instead, and wouldn't want that anyways. If I've got to suffer through all the negative stuff that comes with being born a girl (periods, being sexualized, stuff feminism is for) I'm going to enjoy positive stuff too (cute clothes, universally excepted for me to act girly)... with the way I act I could not ever be considered a "guy" xD I'd be labeled weak or whatever.

bunch of transgenders on this thread I'm going to guess. Go for it d: you're beautiful

There are times that I wish I was a girl though, and that's because of the stereotypes that all guys are perverts, they only think about sex, they are stupid, etc. If a guy is a virgin, he gets people laughing at him, yet if a girl is a virgin, nobody cares. 

There's also the other side of that too, if a guy has sex people praise him for it, but if the girl is automatically labeled a slut. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Also, girls don't make as much wage as guys.

This is 100% a myth. Listen to this guy's explanation.

"Also, girls need to be pretty cautious about being raped and stuff like that."

No, we don't. While sexual assault does exist, living in a first-world country in the 21st century is pretty safe when it comes to rape.

"I'd hate to be a girl and treated like I can't do things for myself."

I've never been treated like this and neither have any of my friends.

Anyway, on topic.

I'm fairly happy being female, although sometimes I feel like I should be male..

Edited by Colour
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I sometimes envy the slightly longer average lifespans of women.

Oh right, there's that too.

But sometimes I wonder if there's that difference just because of wars and the fact that men (used to?) drink and smoke more than women.

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

While being female has its negative aspects, so does being male, and I often find that I am closer to the side of being feminine in the stereotypical way, I am not fully happy with my gender because I feel that mentally I don't belong, however I think before making a decision like that I would want to be female for about a month (including periods) to get an understanding of what it is like and whether I feel that I belong more there or not.

Edit: Also not sure I would want to so much now I am in a relationship with the most brilliant girl I know.

Edited by Flame Tail

(edited)

Since there's no "I don't really care" option, I choose "I'm happy to be male".

I never understood why anyone would want to be a different gender. If people don't believe in gender roles, then what purpose does wanting to be a different gender serve? Doesn't the concept of gender identity contradict gender equality?

Edited by SpaceOnion

(edited)

This is 100% a myth. Listen to this guy's explanation.

Just because there are other factors in wage gaps doesn't mean discrimination has nothing to do with it, as this article explains.

No, we don't. While sexual assault does exist, living in a first-world country in the 21st century is pretty safe when it comes to rape.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hrmrmrmr.

I've never been treated like this and neither have any of my friends.

I'm glad for that, really, I am. But that doesn't discredit the experiences of other women who have said the opposite, and trust me, it's quite a lot - myself included. We even include it in our language; 'run like a girl', 'hit like a girl'... Girls are still treated as being lesser and girls actually kicking butt and doing things by themselves is still considered 'revolutionary' even though it shouldn't be.

All this being said, I'm quite content being a cisgender female.

Since there's no "I don't really care" option, I choose "I'm happy to be male".

I never understood why anyone would want to be a different gender. If people don't believe in gender roles, then what purpose does wanting to be a different gender serve? Doesn't the concept of gender identity contradict gender equality?

Transgender folks don't want to be a different gender, they are a different gender and their bodies don't match it. They look at their bodies, see a part of themselves that doesn't match their brain's make up, and get sex dysphoria.

Edited by Ken Ichijouji
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
Transgender folks don't want to be a different gender, they are a different gender and their bodies don't match it. They look at their bodies, see a part of themselves that doesn't match their brain's make up, and get sex dysphoria.

For my whole life, I believed that anyone could choose what kind of person they wanted to be. If there's scientific evidence that someone's gender defines them, does that mean gender equality is obsolete? Were gender roles justified this whole time?

Edited by SpaceOnion

(edited)

Just because there are other factors in wage gaps doesn't mean discrimination has nothing to do with it, as this article explains.

So I read the discrimination part of that article and it's source. You know what I see? Assumptions.

http://i.imgur.com/zBtzPbv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UuXIpXN.jpg

So according to those, approximately every 120 seconds one American is sexually assaulted in some way out of approximately 317 000 000 Americans. As I said, sexual assault does exist, but right now it's a hell of a lot safer than previous times and in other countries.

Also, the first two are talking about both genders, don't forget that.

I'm glad for that, really, I am. But that doesn't discredit the experiences of other women who have said the opposite, and trust me, it's quite a lot - myself included. We even include it in our language; 'run like a girl', 'hit like a girl'... Girls are still treated as being lesser and girls actually kicking butt and doing things by themselves is still considered 'revolutionary' even though it shouldn't be.

Welp that stigma does still exist I guess, but in my personal experiences I haven't experienced it.

Edited by Colour

(edited)

For my whole life, I believed that anyone could choose what kind of person they wanted to be. If there's scientific evidence that someone's gender defines them, does that mean gender equality is obsolete? Were gender roles justified this whole time?

Gender equality is still possible, just perhaps not the equality that you're thinking of. Equal opportunities should be present for all genders. All genders should be getting equal pay for the same amount of effort put into work. All of those don't need to take into account any gender differences at all.

I believe that pretending we're all the same and we all function the same way is just as misguided as regarding one group as inferior to the other. I could equate it, for instance, to being black-skinned or white-skinned. There may be minute genetic differences, but overall when afforded the same opportunities black people are able to acquire the same amount of education and be as productive in society as white people. That being said, it's plainly obvious neither of them are the same, and that there, to some degree, will always be a separation of culture. I believe that embracing the diversity of people is the right way to go rather than trying to erase it.

Saying that one gender is weaker than the other, or that men are less emotional, or something like that, is not embracing our real differences because those aren't existing differences in the first place; those were made up by falsified stereotypes and gender roles that don't actually apply. Unfortunately, these negative gender roles that place one gender over the other are the kind that are harmful, and lead men to be more aggressive as they're repeatedly discouraged from expressing their emotions, and force women to become self-fulfilled prophecies by not bothering to reach their potential because they won't be "as good as" a man. Saying something as innocuous as girls gravitate more toward feminine things naturally, though, is not a harmful difference to note.

Think of it this way: gender roles will stop having a negative impact once we stop seeing feminine and masculine things as one above the other, and rather as two sides of the same coin that allow for possible interlap between the two.

Of course, what gender you choose to present yourself as, and what interests you have classified as masculine or feminine, does not discredit you as one gender or the other, or something in between. Gender has much more to do about whether or not your body is in line with the map that your mind has for it, as well as other additional factors that I won't try to describe here as even I don't fully understand them yet. Either way, your interest in feminine or masculine things does not determine your sexual orientation or your gender; it's determined by something else hardwired within your brain, which has very little to do with gender constructs at all.

So I read the discrimination part of that article and it's source. You know what I see? Assumptions.

http://i.imgur.com/zBtzPbv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UuXIpXN.jpg

So according to those, approximately every 120 seconds one American is sexually assaulted in some way out of approximately 317 000 000 Americans. As I said, sexual assault does exist, but it's a hell of a lot safer than previous times and in other countries.

Also, the first two are talking about both genders, don't forget that.

The point is that you were saying that it was 100% disproven, which the article itself is stating that it hasn't been. The possibility is still there, and unfortunately, given the history with women's treatment within the workplace, it's also still likely.

I am making no attempt to cover up the mention of men being raped in those, as I have made no claim that they aren't being raped at all. In fact, the statistics in the sites that I gave you say it's over 10% of victims, which is quite a lot considering how many rape victims there are in those statistics. That being said, it doesn't discredit the fact that more of them are women than men. Of course, it's very possible that these statistics are slightly inaccurate if only because the likelihood of women reporting their being raped is greater than the likelihood of men doing so due to the stigma that men can't be raped, a stigma that I believe should be abolished and we should be long past because of, as you said, us being in the 21st century.

I find it quite troublesome that sexual assault/rape is a problem at all, and it's still a very high ranking crime, and I think that statistics like these give more than enough reason to be at least a little cautious.

Edited by Ken Ichijouji
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't mean in general that women need to be extremely secure about rape, I just meant more than guys. A guy walking alone at night obviously doesn't need to be as cautious about getting raped as a woman does.

As for your other points, it may just come down to personal experience. A lot of the girls I have talked to say that they are treated differently than guys, not over-the-top sexism extreme, but just different, like they are the weaker being.

• 3 months later...