Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Don't get me wrong, I love how starlight grew as a character however I sometimes miss her as a villain, she was very intelligent and compelling villain with great power

large.thumb.png.90e3f9ef9fec996ebe61966e771bf234.png

I wished that during the season 5 finale she would have turned into an alicorn and have an epic fight with twilight. 

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

Don't get me wrong, I love how starlight grew as a character however I sometimes miss her as a villain, she was very intelligent and compelling villain with great power

large.thumb.png.90e3f9ef9fec996ebe61966e771bf234.png

I wished that during the season 5 finale she would have turned into an alicorn and have an epic fight with twilight. 

You’re right, she definitely was better as a villain. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I would not say she was better as a villain, however she had a lot of potential I wish they used with her, it felt disappointing she was redimmed so fast.1937357026_large(3).png.54fe69215b372be410e58ccfd4e8ac58.png

I wish something like this would have happened in season 5 before her redemption, but I get what they wanted to do.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

She was one of the fiew GOOD villains they have had on the show. The only other that has come close to her in depth is Tempest, and she is apparently too expensive to bring to the tv show.

I did like her reappearance as snowfall frost too - gave us a chance to see more "bad" starlight, without having to retcon away her new role as Twi's pupil.

• Brohoof 1

@Rushing cash @ExplosionMare

I'm sorry, but Starlight staying or going back to being a villain doesn't make sense to me. While it would make sense for her to hate Cutie Marks since she was only a filly when Sunburst left her just because he got his Mark first and when you're at that age, you don't always make the best choices, the fact still remains is that she lost her friend and Twilight helped her realized she can always make more, even rekindle old friends. And it is HER choice to reform, not anyone else's. If she really wanted to stay a villian, then SHE would make the commitment to do so.

Also, to the complaints about her reformation being too fast, here's a honest fact of life: People Go through changes at their OWN pace. Some learn their lesson and change right away, others need to take some time for the improvement to stick, and yes, there are even people who never really learn and that's only natural for some. This particular one about changing yourself at your own pace also applies to Fluttershy as well.

If Starlight was a real person, We as fans should NOT be demanding what she should or shouldn't be. We should be accepting of her choices, even if we don't necessarily agree with it. I made the same argument about Spike yesterday. It should be HER choices and desires that determine whether she's in a good position or not. Her goals and choices are Hers, not anybody else's.

Starlight is awesome and I'm proud of her, even if she doesn't get a lot of screen time and focus compared to the rest of the cast.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
9 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Also, to the complaints about her reformation being too fast, here's a honest fact of life: People Go through changes at their OWN pace.

Not convinced about her reformation being "too fast" either.

Fact is, the key moment in her reformation was at the end of S5, where she had the future in her hooves, could destroy the scroll that allowed Twi to follow her, and "win" - but at a terrible cost. She chose - she chose to back down from the brink, she chose to place her trust in Twi, and it utterly destroyed her; all she had left was her revenge, and with that gone, she was empty and lost.

No other villain, in FiM or EqG, has voluntarily chosen like this; most reformed after a Rainbow Bitchslap of Friendship or were thrown, unreformed, into the abyss.  Even Discord, the closest, only "put a lid on it" because he valued our Kindness Pony's friendship more than, well, anything else in the multiverse.

Once on her new path, she was hesitant and reliant on the Princess of Freakouts for guidance - which she got, sorta. we see a montage where she apologises to the Villagers, and really (well, except for all the Alternate History ponies who presumably don't count in the main timeline) there is only them and Twilight she needs to make things right with - despite the wide swathe of chaos she created in the S5 finale, there wasn't really anyone afterwards who was really hurt by it.

Starlight is awesome and I'm proud of her, even if she doesn't get a lot of screen time and focus compared to the rest of the cast.

I think she gets about the right amount, although I do agree she is an awesome character. As a CMC-level secondary character, She gets an appropriate number of focus episodes, and more recently, is much better integrated into story lines as a supporting character to the mane group, the lack of which is a problem I had with her early introduction. She is of course MASSIVELY OP, even if that gets nerfed for plot convenience on occasion (like her inability to zap Pharynx when he is about a foot away and burdened with a pony-sized bag) and tends to lean on magic for an quick solution despite her past experience showing that almost always backfires.  Nevertheless, she is a great character, and one I am always happy to see in the show.

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 4

I am not saying she should have stayed a villain or returned to being one, all I'm saying is that they could have done more with her while she was a villain. I like her reformed and character growth a lot, and her reformation actually made sense cause she didn't want to put equestria in despair, and the moment she realized she is screwing everything and not just the main 6 she understood this is not the way.  

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Rushing cash said:

I am not saying she should have stayed a villain or returned to being one, all I'm saying is that they could have done more with her while she was a villain. I like her reformed and character growth a lot, and her reformation actually made sense cause she didn't want to put equestria in despair, and the moment she realized she is screwing everything and not just the main 6 she understood this is not the way.  

Well, one way we COULD have more villain-Glimglam we have already seen - when Maud was recounting how she helped GlimGlam find the magic stone she used for the Village, we got flashbacks; we could get more of that - Glimglam's past returning to haunt her, and her having to go deal with the mess she left without it just being a quick flash or montage...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I'm not the biggest fan of Starlight Glimmer, what recently made her more of an interesting character to me was in Season 8 Episode 8 "The Parent Map" where Starlight Glimmer's dad said that she can stay in her old bedroom that was exactly like she left it:

1953401439_ScreenShot2019-06-18at11_53_39AM.thumb.png.2e8095fbeea674beb0b4bb17b6609b63.pngIt makes me really excited at the idea of Starlight going through a teenage rebellious, punk phase...made me like her a little more! :blush:

• Brohoof 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...