Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Bringing Back Grogar A Good Idea?

Arctofire

Is Bringing Back Grogar A Good Idea?  

27 users have voted

1. 1. Is Bringing Back Grogar A Good Idea?

• Yes
    • No

Bump. :umad:

With Twilight mentioning Grogar as she read to the youngsters at the hospital in Flurry of Emotions (S7E3), the possibility of his return is rising.

• Brohoof 3

10 hours ago, Miles said:

Bump. :umad:

With Twilight mentioning Grogar as she read to the youngsters at the hospital in Flurry of Emotions (S7E3), the possibility of his return is rising.

I really hope it. He is an awesome villain.

• Brohoof 2

I think that he could make for an interesting villain in the show itself, plus given how he was mentioned in yesterday's episode, I am hoping he is the main antagonist for the season finale.

• Brohoof 2

What?

THERE WAS AN OLD GROGAR THREAD AND I MISSED IT! 

giphy.gif

Yes I think his inclusion in the show as a major antagonist would be a great idea, and his name drop in the recent episode was a nice touch. Some mentioned it is just fiction in Equestria, but the show has established precedent for its own  history being presented as fiction and mythology. 

I for one look forward to seeing Grogar and the Brony modded "Grogar Simulator". 

• Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

This is G4 MLP. They could come up with a more interesting villain than a giant goat. :okiedokieloki:

Well he doesn't have to be giant. They've done a great job at reinventing old characters (Smooze) visually. I can actually see a way to incorporate him as strictly an antagonist for the dragons who are forced to call on the Ponies to help. 

Remember it's the writing that makes a character good. Otherwise ... this would also be valid.

"Man, they could have come up with a better idea than small talking ponies."

26 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

This is G4 MLP. They could come up with a more interesting villain than a giant goat. :okiedokieloki:

With the types of villains we've already had, there aren't many directions left to go for new ones. Bringing villains from the past generations forward is a good idea in multiple ways. It's efficient, people who watched the older gens will recognize them, and new writing styles can refresh them into a better character. 

Otherwise there aren't many paths left that I can see. There are types of villains that I'd like to see, but wouldn't be fit for MLP. Personally, I loved the fact that when Starlight was a villain, the Mane 6 were basically combating communism. It's incredible how they've weaved subtle more adult concepts into the show while still maintaining obvious ideas for the younger intended audience. I'd love to see a more psychologically inclined villain, something similar to the Joker in the Dark Night. But a character of that scale is too adult oriented. The closest we've ever gotten to that was Mane-iac. But she was only just crazy, not smart or witty like the Joker. 

(Edit: Some may think I'm overlooking Discord, but he isn't crazy/mental, he's just chaotic).

You may not think that you'd like Grogar, but with the amazing creativity we've seen so far, you might be surprised.

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Well he doesn't have to be giant. They've done a great job at reinventing old characters (Smooze) visually. I can actually see a way to incorporate him as strictly an antagonist for the dragons who are forced to call on the Ponies to help. 

Remember it's the writing that makes a character good. Otherwise ... this would also be valid.

"Man, they could have come up with a better idea than small talking ponies."

Oh gosh, where would we be if that kind of thinking got through to the producers/writers? Yikes, I don't want to think about it.

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 3

19 minutes ago, Miles said:

With the types of villains we've already had, there aren't many directions left to go for new ones. Bringing villains from the past generations forward is a good idea in multiple ways. It's efficient, people who watched the older gens will recognize them, and new writing styles can refresh them into a better character. 

Otherwise there aren't many paths left that I can see. There are types of villains that I'd like to see, but wouldn't be fit for MLP. Personally, I loved the fact that when Starlight was a villain, the Mane 6 were basically combating communism. It's incredible how they've weaved subtle more adult concepts into the show while still maintaining obvious ideas for the younger intended audience. I'd love to see a more psychologically inclined villain, something similar to the Joker in the Dark Night. But a character of that scale is too adult oriented. The closest we've ever gotten to that was Mane-iac. But she was only just crazy, not smart or witty like the Joker. 

(Edit: Some may think I'm overlooking Discord, but he isn't crazy/mental, he's just chaotic).

You may not think that you'd like Grogar, but with the amazing creativity we've seen so far, you might be surprised.

Oh gosh, where would we be if that kind of thinking got through to the producers/writers? Yikes, I don't want to think about it.

I've never seen the earlier generations of MLP, but from what I've heard and read, Sombra's backstory in the show seems to be a rehashing of Grogar. No sense in rehashing a rehash.

6 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

I've never seen the earlier generations of MLP, but from what I've heard and read, Sombra's backstory in the show seems to be a rehashing of Grogar. No sense in rehashing a rehash.

I agree, but we're in luck! The new episode already fixed our mutual concern with the Incorporation of the dragons and a specific dragon hero vanquishing him. That would appear to be the working foundation of any back story which is already markedly different from G1. 

Just as they did with Tirek and the Smooze, no need to copy paste. :D

• Brohoof 1

I still prefer making new fresh villain for G4 instead of borrowing old villain in the old gen. If they can bring back Grogar then they will keep bring back all villain in G1 and that is too lazy, why not make fresh new villain like Discord or Chrysalis.

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

I still prefer making new fresh villain for G4 instead of borrowing old villain in the old gen. If they can bring back Grogar then they will keep bring back all villain in G1 and that is too lazy, why not make fresh new villain like Discord or Chrysalis.

They can put a new spin on an old villain... that is hardly being lazy. If you want to be honest by your logic this entire show is lazy since virtually all of the major characters are rehashes of previous generations. They can revisit old ideas and put new life into them, recreating them with an updated appearance, a new background and tweaking their abilities to make them familiar to fans of the past, but completely new to fans of the present. Also, they can continue to add new characters and create new fresh ides as well, just as they currently are with many of the characters we see o the show today. There is more than enough room for both.

MLP by its very nature is a rehash of an existing property. It makes perfect sense to farm some of the old ideas and give them new life in the present universe.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

If you want to be honest by your logic this entire show is lazy since virtually all of the major characters are rehashes of previous generations

4 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

then they will keep bring back all villain in G1 and that is too lazy

What i mean it is TOO lazy to keep bringing back the old villains, it means they stop creating the new one for current generation. After 6 seasons, a ton of wonderful new characters were born and we got 4 original major villains for G4 (Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis, and Starlight Glimmer) and i want that trend continue.

2 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

They can revisit old ideas and put new life into them, recreating them with an updated appearance, a new background and tweaking their abilities to make them familiar to fans of the past, but completely new to fans of the present.

Well said, you can make old fan and new fan happy... i cant agrue with that... who am i to take away people's happiness, right!?...just dont overdo that, because i still prefer making exclusive villains for G4. I heard G4 Tirek is a water-down version of G1 Tirek :orly: i hope it will not the case with Grogar.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Well said, you can make old fan and new fan happy... i cant agrue with that... who am i to take away people's happiness, right!?...just dont overdo that, because i still prefer making exclusive villains for G4. I heard G4 Tirek is a water-down version of G1 Tirek :orly: i hope it will not the case with Grogar.

The G1 Tirek is indeed better then the G4 one. He was darker and smarter then the G4 one.

death_battle__tirek_vs_tirek_by_porygon2