Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Need A Little Help ^^

Pinky Pie

(edited)

Hello guys! I am going to participate to a writing competition where I'm supposed to write an essay about "Happiness". I love writing and my teachers/friends always loved my writings, but this is the first time that I participate to a competition, so I decided to get a little help from you.

If you want to help me, here is the full topic:

"Whatever else happiness may be, it is neither in havingnor in being, but in becoming. Happiness is in the pursuit itself, in the meaningful pursuit of what is life-engaging and life-revealing, which is to say, in the idea of becoming.”

By taking into consideration the quotation given above, write a well-organized essay (300-350 words), in English,on the idea of happiness. The questions given below may help you contemplate on the topic.

What is happiness?

How can you describe it?

Is it something personal or social?

How is it achieved?

So first of all, I need a title. Since titles are very important, I don't wanna put a title like "Happiness and How to Achieve It", I need something original. Then, I want to use some good sayings about happiness. And lastly, I need a good ending. I would like to add something funny in it too, otherwise it would be too boring.

I'd really apreciate it if you help me. Thank you in advance ^^

Edited by Pinky Pie
  • Brohoof 2

My title: From Crappiness to Happiness

I dunno if that would work, I just thought it sounded good. :P

What is happiness?

Happiness is similar to pleasure, but more long-term. Pleasure is a state of good feelings generated from chemicals in the brain. Happiness is the same, but is more passive in a sense that it requires stability over time. In order for one to be happy, one must be in a state of contentment for a prolonged period of time. An example of pleasure would be going to a party with friends—a short-lived, but gratifying experience. An example of happiness would be the positive feeling of having close friends—something that builds over time and doesn't go away when your friends aren't around.

How can you describe it?

I just did.

Is it something personal or social?

Both. Happiness and pleasure can be personal and social. I would even venture to say that each is a necessary and sufficient condition.

How is it achieved?

By being proud of yourself and/or having close, rewarding relationships. Having a social net of good friends means nothing is you're a lazy, unemployed slob who accomplishes nothing and mooches off of others. Likewise, being a "successful" billionaire means nothing if you have no friends and no social life whatsoever. Most people need both to be sufficiently happy.

• Brohoof 1

how interesting are we talking for a title? you could have something like "Reflecting on the Seventh Heaven" or "Musings on Mirth" or something.

Thinking about the personal vs the social, you could talk on Hedonism, which is the idea that the only things in life of any intrinsic value are the things that bring you pleasure, vs the idea of utilitarianism which i always enjoyed referring to as 'the communism of hedonism'. it's the idea that the morally correct thing to do is whatever generates the most happiness in society.

Though thinking about it, that would mean that if you could choose between stubbing your toe and destroying the earth you should destroy the earth because that would, objectively, generate no sadness and stubbing your toe would. hmm :huh:

• Brohoof 1

"The Wonder of Delight" (The best one I came up with yet.)

I would be glad to help you with the ending, but my english is still quite rusty. So, for now the time being I can only grant you my best wishes. Good luck, and have fun writing!

• Brohoof 1

Thank you guys, those are very good ideas!

@Pinky Pie, I'm going to move this to Creative Resources since this discusses needing writing help. 

I'm sorry, I didn't even know there was a section like that :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Happiness: lifes sceond biggest question

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Edited by Buzz
  • Brohoof 1

Happiness: lifes sceond biggest question

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

And what is the biggest question? :P

And what is the biggest question? :P

Life, the universe and everything, but thats already been answered!

(edited)

Life, the universe and everything, but thats already been answered!

42 it is!

Or "Insufficiant data for a meaningful answer"

Anyways, I'd still appreciate it if I get some more help :D

Edited by Pinky Pie