Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the Ponies Represent the 7 Deadly Sins?

Gearbox10mm

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to put you down but no, no they aren't, basically every show with 7 characters has people saying this a few hundred times a day, but it's not true, for this show. I can understand others being more of a maybe, because I don't think that the idea of this show is showing that the seven deadly sins work well togheter, it just seems wrong. I see your point but honestly its more likely to be the virtues, or maybe even the karath, since the show has lots of mythology... Either way no, I really disagree with the idea this show is about the seven deadly sins

I'm pretty sure through our lifetime we do each of them at least once.

And hoarding books isn't greed, it's intelect. She reads to gain knowledge. And that's not a sin xD

Actually, I don't think Spike represents Sloth.  Chronic fatigue is a symptom of Depression.  IMO, Spike is clinically depressed.  When I was a teen I was always asleep by 9, often by 7 & I was always tired.

I remember seeing an ad about taking a survey to see if you were depressed & I was all "Dude, if you're depressed you don't need a survey to know it"

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

Naw! :P

If anything, I think the Villains represent them.

Though really, there's no way Hasbro would go there anyway. Celestia knows we'll never--or at least very seldom--hear the word "lust" on cartoon/kid's show...

The only time I recall a story having the 7 Sins was Fullmetal Alchemist. XD

There's also the movie "Seven", and some stories for the superhero Shazam/Captain Marvel.

• Brohoof 2

This is like one of those things where you try to spot a Illuminati reference in the show.

Ponies have eyes.  Eyes are Illuminati symbol.  Illuminati confirmed. 

This is like one of those things where you try to spot a Illuminati reference in the show.

Ponies have eyes.  Eyes are Illuminati symbol.  Illuminati confirmed. 

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately I can't agree with this despite understanding where it comes from.

I think ultimately what's wrong or not wrong should be dictated by how it affects us and that which is around us and mane 6 + Spike's actions ultimately lead to positive, wholesome results even if they commit their share of mistakes- something that's completely fine as lots of ponies improve from occasional, let's call them, "happy little accident". 

Rarity - lust. - I disagree, because while she dreams of her prince charming, it's more romantic than filled with "lust" and she's too refined for that kind of action, always lady-like and elegant with proper amount of respectfulness. 

Pinkie - gluttony - Again I disagree. She eats a lot, but she will always be more than happy to share the fun. She's also far from obese so not even her body shape indicates overindulgence in food - she eats exactly as much as she needs to maintain proper energy level for her, very active lifestyle. Lifestyle in which she inspires others to be happy, which makes it very selfless too. 

Twilight - greed There's an episode, where she refuses to go to the gala, because her friends can't all go with her. She'd never say no to sharing her knowledge. She's a literal opposite to greed to me.

Spike - sloth - more like a typical teenager. A bit reckless, sometimes too... careless about what he means, but always wishing to do the right thing. I fail to see the anything wrong here neither.

Fluttershy - wrath - "wrath" is a huge word for her attitude. I think there was only one time when she "really" lost it. The rest is her trying to be assertive and responsible. It's hardly representing something as big as "wrath".

Rainbow - envy - wanting to be like someone isn't envy yet. She's not willing to walk over everyone to achieve that and she takes them as an inspiration to herself instead of looking at them with malevolent jealousy.

Applejack - pride - she had struggles with pride, but also enough wisdom to learn and accept her weaknesses and allow others to help. Hardly something I'd perceive as "representin a sin". 

So... in the end I simply fail to see them as representing something negative like this. It would require retconning much of what they did right, because a lot of what they do disprove each and every sin listed here IMO.

• 3 months later...

Everyone possesses the potential to commit any of the sins. It is a universal potential and is not certain sins being exclusive to certain individuals. Sure, everyone has their own sin that they commit far more than other sins, such as being prone to specific sins and more resilient towards other sins. That doesn't mean that anyone is immune to certain sins though, it just means that we all have strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, I think that the mane six don't represent the 7 deadly sins, but rather that they are prone to committing certain sins based on their attributes.