Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any way to permanently mention someone?

Lektra Bolt
Go to solution Solved by Drakkon,

I have a friend who changed her name multiple times and I'd like to @her properly for an art she made. Unfortunately every time she changes her name the mention breaks and I have to change it to her current name. Is there any way to make the mention permanent, like using a member number instead?

• Brohoof 3

Correction of my earlier post, it seems that upon a name change including a cache refresh the link is invalidated. The next best thing you can do is use this:

[url="url to profile"]name[/url]

It will look exactly like a @Mention. However, the thing is that the characters succeeding the user id are superfluous. As long as the id is the same, it will reach the profile.

• Brohoof 3

That's not what I'm asking for though. This will work on a character page to create a working link, which technically helps me, but it will not work in general and I'm pretty sure people won't get a notification about it.

I was kinda hoping to kill two birds with one stone here. Find out if the mention system can work this way/be made to work good way, and make a working link on my character page for credit.

That's not what I'm asking for though. This will work on a character page to create a working link, which technically helps me, but it will not work in general and I'm pretty sure people won't get a notification about it.

I was kinda hoping to kill two birds with one stone here. Find out if the mention system can work this way/be made to work good way, and make a working link on my character page for credit.

The person will only get a notification upon your initial @Mentioning of them; as it stands, after being posted, there is no reason for it not to be a regular url. The only thing @Mentioning a person does is two things: makes it easier to form a url to a person's profile, and gives the person a heads up.

You have already given the artist a notification, there really isn't a reason for you to use @Mention at this point. It will not give a notification for the actual clicking of the URL, and from asking around I don't think @Mentioning sends a notification if it's from a post edit, so the only reason for you to use @Mention in an edit is if you don't want to go all the way to finding their profile.

(edited)

Meh, I still don't consider this as solved. It's not mentioning, it's manipulation of forum codes. The name in the code would still need to be changed each time, as opposed to if this was implemented properly hovering over it would show the new name.

I'd like to see a mod reply on if/when they plan to implement this feature.

Edited by bronislav84

Meh, I still don't consider this as solved. It's not mentioning, it's manipulation of forum codes. The name in the code would still need to be changed each time, as opposed to if this was implemented properly hovering over it would show the new name.

I'd like to see a mod reply on if/when they plan to implement this feature.

It's resolved as that feature does not exist in the forum software. If you feel that this would be a good enhancement going forward I would open a feedback thread.

Also, no need to wait for a mod, when you have an actually developer of MLPF answer your questions. :)

I will be closing this out as your question on the existence of this feature has been answered

• Brohoof 5