Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are some things i should know about mlp?

Probably Lee

Some fanfictions you might want to read/know about if you haven't already (apart from Fallout Equestria which you've mentioned that you've already started and Cupcakes, which you've mentioned also that you are familar with): My Little Dashie, Past Sins, Anthropology, The Conversion Bureau, Bright Eyes. These are a few you might see referenced.
Also read this if you haven't: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic . It'll tell you a LOT of information about the history of the fandom, and there's links in the "sub-entries" section for even more brony memes you might see referenced (especially read the one on Derpy). Read this too, http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pony-re-imaginings?ref=sub-entries for a bunch more things you will most definitely see mentioned at some point. 

One thing I think the knowyourmeme article on MLP:FIM got wrong, though, is when it says that initial interest in the show on /co/ was sparked by this one really negative article written by Amid Amidi. Though it is true that this article did cause a lot of interest in the show, there were threads on /co/ before the article was released that praised the show (I've even seen screencaps of threads that date to before the first episode aired where people were getting hyped up for the show based purely on the names of the people involved). It wasn't really a fandom then, but there have been adult men watching the show from the day the first episode aired. Not that I would know from first hand experience, I only joined the fandom last year, but I've done a ton of research on the history of the fandom since then.... 
Anyways, welcome to the herd!

Edited by Cork Top

My advice is to just enjoy the show. If you don't care for adult content, just be careful when looking for images or fanfics.

Not caring for adult MLP content? Pshh. As if. >_>

• Brohoof 1

Well, to tell the truth there are some references to Dragon Ball Z in later episodes and in some fan fiction.

Don't watch Smile HD unless you have a strong stomach.   

I must be weird, because I thought Smile HD was a bit on the funny side. Right up there with "Hey, hey, hey, stay out of my shed".

B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk2TSYd8_M8

What? Did you think I meant some OTHER video???

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Some fans can be a bit... eccentric.

Those who are may overreact if you say something negative about their favorite pony.

Just ignore them.

Your opinion is your opinion.

"I am a pretty large noob to the series"

"noob"

No. This is not a video game. You're new to watching the show, and there's nothing you 'need to now' about it at all. Just watch it.

This wouldn't be the case if they started watching a random episode.

Say if they watched the season 4 finale: They would have no clue what was going on and why certain things were happening.

I think that he is asking a good question by seeking information about MLP in general.

• Rarity is not a shallow character who solely cares about fashion. She is awesome. 
  • The Mane Six don't have to follow their elements 24/7.
  • Rarity is the best pony
  • Suited For Success is one of the best episodes even though it's about a fashion show
  • Avoid Cupcakes and Smile HD. (Don't let your curiosity get to you.) 

Also what everyone else said. 

Everyone here has given excellent advice, so there's not much more than I can give, but I'd like to put in my two cents as well:

- Enjoy watching the show for yourself. Don't listen to any trolls!

- If you ever get the chance, go to a Brony convention. There are a ton of fans there for you to connect with!

- And continue to watch the show! Some say the first two seasons were the best, others say the latter two were better, but I think the show is getting better with each season! Especially the Seasons Four finale! ;)

Some fans can be a bit... eccentric.

Those who are may overreact if you say something negative about their favorite pony.

Just ignore them.

Your opinion is your opinion.

This wouldn't be the case if they started watching a random episode.

Say if they watched the season 4 finale: They would have no clue what was going on and why certain things were happening.

I think that he is asking a good question by seeking information about MLP in general.

Shouldn't it be obvious what episode order to watch it in though? I mean it's all numbered season 1 episode 1, season 1 episode 2 etc