Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Difficulty in contesting bans and warnings

Dulset Tarn

There's simply no way to appeal a ban that is issued against you, or otherwise seek it to be overturned. If you're falsely banned, then you're just downright screwed. And if the ban happens to be for a long time, well you're double screwed, even if you have irrefutable proof of innocence. You should at least be able to request support tickets while you're banned, if nothing else.

Disputes can be filed by banned or suspended members by sending an email to disputes@mlpforums.com.  Active members with access to the ticket system can file a moderation dispute in a support ticket.

• Brohoof 8

There's simply no way to appeal a ban that is issued against you, or otherwise seek it to be overturned. If you're falsely banned, then you're just downright screwed. And if the ban happens to be for a long time, well you're double screwed, even if you have irrefutable proof of innocence. You should at least be able to request support tickets while you're banned, if nothing else.

False, I saw bans cancelled in past and I got my friend unbanned by contacting moderation without slightest problems. From what I know banned members too can contact moderation easily ;)

So no, You are not "downright screwed" if banned :P

• Brohoof 9

What Simon and Hugs stated is 100% accurate. The dispute system works, even if its outcome is not always favorable for the one filing the dispute.  

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Disputes can be filed by banned or suspended members by sending an email to disputes@mlpforums.com.  Active members with access to the ticket system can file a moderation dispute in a support ticket.

What Simon and Hugs stated is 100% accurate. The dispute system works, even if its outcome is not always favorable for the one filing the dispute.

Incorrect. Your dispute system is broken.

<disputes@mlpforums.com>:

Message expired for domain mlpforums.com. Remote host said:

451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem

[RCPT_TO]

Edited by Jeric
Removed second question as ban decisions and disputes are private

Incorrect. Your dispute system is broken.

<disputes@mlpforums.com>:

Message expired for domain mlpforums.com. Remote host said:

451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem

[RCPT_TO]

So you concern is related to a technical issue, and not a policy one as it has been pointed out that do indeed overturn bans and warnings?

Also I've always been curious, who decides the "best answer" on this board? Shouldn't it be the person who asked?

Staff, the answer is not for just the question asker, but for all who would search for said question.

• Brohoof 5

So you concern is related to a technical issue, and not a policy one as it has been pointed out that do indeed overturn bans and warnings?

That is what I am trying to determine. A little of both, at least.

• Brohoof 1

That is what I am trying to determine. A little of both, at least.

Well, as stated it is not a policy issue. Bans and warnings have been and are overturned via the dispute system. It's not a question of policy. It is Administration's policy to review all disputes and render a decision.

You should at least be able to request support tickets while you're banned, if nothing else.

That is what disputes@mlpforums.com does. It opens a Support Ticket. A few of us tested it by sending emails and we shall let you know the outcom. 

More to that last point, as this is related to an IT issue I am moving the topic to Site Questions and Technical Support. 

Note I updated the topic title to reflect bans and warnings since colloquially we do not call suspensions 'bans' and that would naturally be part of this issue as well. The topic is tagged with the Technical Issue prefix as well. Either myself, an admin, or a member of the support team will respond with the results of our initial testing within 24-48 hours and provide next steps if needed. Thank you. 

• Brohoof 5

Then my next question is: Why is there no other option if the disputes channel is broken? There are numerous ways such a thing could be easily fixed. If users could talk with mods over skype, if their email addresses were listed on their community page AND the community page were accessible to those who have been banned, or again if banned users could access the support ticket system. Why does being suspended make you totally unable to look at any page, from the staff list to your support tickets? Is it impossible to just stop them from posting on boards? There needs to be a fast way for someone who feels that they've been wronged to contact the mods or admins with a real conversation, and not suffer the chance of waiting a week until they get around to it.

Then my next question is: Why is there no other option if the disputes channel is broken? There are numerous ways such a thing could be easily fixed. If users could talk with mods over skype, if their email addresses were listed on their community page AND the community page were accessible to those who have been banned, or again if banned users could access the support ticket system. Why does being suspended make you totally unable to look at any page, from the staff list to your support tickets? Is it impossible to just stop them from posting on boards? There needs to be a fast way for someone who feels that they've been wronged to contact the mods or admins with a real conversation, and not suffer the chance of waiting a week until they get around to it.

Provided that your IP isn't banned, you should be able to access the site just by deleting your browser's cookies and cache.

Then my next question is: Why is there no other option if the disputes channel is broken?

You do not have to be signed in to file a Moderation Dispute. 

Start - not logged in

post-25990-0-56065000-1426015066_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Click on contact Mlp forums

post-25990-0-68707200-1426015084_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - Fill out the form

post-25990-0-79086000-1426015106_thumb.jpg

Your dispute will be received and queued as normal. Note that you will need to enter an email address in this situation instead of via your active account. 

Staff are not compelled to release Skype and email addresses to the public, nor would we advocate that from a logistical and communication retention reason. All forum activity involving staff should be accounted for. This would not be possible via email and Skype sorry to say. 

As to your other issues, this forum software has limitations to its functionality which we do need to work around. 

My concern is the email functionality. If that doesn't work, there is a backup. I can also see about having that added to the FAQ. 

• Brohoof 5

Validated that there does appear an issue with email receipt with the mail server. I will be opening a developer task in our system we use to triage issues and enhancements. From there I will update this topic with any updates. As always, it can be difficult to determine an ETA, so I would recommend following the thread for any updates.

Thank you

• Brohoof 3

All forum activity involving staff should be accounted for. This would not be possible via email and Skype sorry to say.

Why? Emails and skype conversations are automatically recorded.

Why? Emails and skype conversations are automatically recorded.

Unless I am mistaken, there is no API that would integrate Skype messages all all mail clients with IPB real time, which is why we conduct all official forum communication in PM, Support Tickets, or open topics. All of which are reportable, trackable, and reviewable.

Once we address the email issue and communicate the process I identified above more clearly, that will settle the technical issues.

• Brohoof 1

Unless I am mistaken, there is no API that would integrate Skype messages all all mail clients with IPB real time, which is why we conduct all official forum communication in PM, Support Tickets, or open topics. All of which are reportable, trackable, and reviewable.

Once we address the email issue and communicate the process I identified above more clearly, that will settle the technical issues.

Yes, I would appreciate a more clear communication. I didn't really understand any of that...