Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions "Are thread 'bumps' against the forum rules?"

GreySentinel
Go to solution Solved by Lightwing,

Hopefully the answer to this isn't obvious to everyone and their grandma. I was kinda curious, considering that a thread that I'm very interested in doesn't get much recent posts. I'd like to ask, is thread bumping against the forum rules or frowned upon? Thanks, and I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. 

• Brohoof 1

Bumping threads is allowed and even encouraged!

And don't feel ashamed to ask questions, better safe than sorry. :)

• Brohoof 3

The short answer is No.

In fact,MLPForums encourages thread 'bumps' (often called Necrobumping ) due for the nature of the majority of topics,as long as you're able to add something worthwile to the discussion

But there're a few rules that must be met,which can be found on this FAQ,along with a further explanation about Necro Bumping.

But you must meet this 3 conditions,no matter what topic you're going to necro bump:

1.Be sure what you're adding is worthwhile content.

If all you have to add is a sentence that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, it's most likely not worth bumping the thread over. Reviving threads is great, but at the same time, bumping too many of them for no good reason clutters the front page of the forum you're posting in.

2.Refrain from bumping threads that don't need to be bumped.

Some discussions are everlasting, and can be posted in regardless of date. Topics like 'Favorite pony', for example. There are other threads, like many of the 'news'-esque threads that discuss things only important at the present time, of which don't need to be bumped, because the thread becomes obsolete after it's no longer current. Just think to yourself, 'can posting in this really garnish any more worthwhile discussion?' while venturing through old topics.

3.Please do not revive old threads in the Welcoming Plaza.

This is the only forum we do not allow users to bump in, as there is simply no need to do so.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

This has been answered, and the OP seems satisfied. If you have any more questions in the future, please feel free to start a new thread! :muffins: