Silverwisp the Bard

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

Well shit! First it was Leonard Nimoy and now Terry Pratchett. It seems all my heroes are dying. RIP to both of them. It's a sad month.

• Brohoof 1

Oh. This man has knew, how to love life and do not fear Death.

img-3569248-1-Quotation-Terry-Pratchett-

Edited by Cryptic Script
  • Brohoof 1

I know a lot of people on this site have stories about how FiM has helped them through a difficult time in their lives. Well, I'm a tad older than the average user (not all that much, but still), so when I had my crisis, it wasn't ponies but a bunch second hand Discworld books, dog-eared and terribly translated into German.

Thud! was the first English book I bought with my own money.

Must have read it four or five times by now.

I never read books more than once.

• Brohoof 2

Pratchett was how I survived high school.  I love his work.  He was a great man, a wonderful author, and will be dearly missed.  :(

• Brohoof 2

just heard. he's even tweeted his own death XD.

"There is always another last minute." 

I've heard alot of terminally ill people wrote to him saying that when they die, they hope Death is like the one from his books. :)

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

I outright refuse to accept this.

The amount of wit this man had... His books were incredibly entertaining and funny, while still remaining very intelligently written. Of course, the Discworld series are the pearl here. Twisted images of our world which laughed into face of reality. Whether be it government, democracy, economy, religion, authorities... anything basically, he was able to fish out all their flaws (in our world) and turn them into a material for a book.

Satire at its best.

Knowing that there will be no more new books is just heartbreaking...

• Brohoof 1

I outright refuse to accept this.

The amount of wit this man had... His books were incredibly entertaining and funny, while still remaining very intelligently written. Of course, the Discworld series are the pearl here. Twisted images of our world which laughed into face of reality. Whether be it government, democracy, economy, religion, authorities... anything basically, he was able to fish out all their flaws (in our world) and turn them into a material for a book.

Satire at its best.

Knowing that there will be no more new books is just heartbreaking...

I get what you're saying, but it's more than just no more new books.  Sir Pratchett was a genuine boon to humanity, someone who really understood us, and whose insight helped (and will continue to help) a lot of people. 

So yeah.  No more new books.  You're right, of course, but . . . it goes a lot deeper than that.

I'm sorry for necromancing this thread, but this topic will never stop being important to me.

I'm glad there are others on this forum who respect Sir Terry Pratchett and love his work as much as I do. Admittedly, I hadn't read many books before he passed, but I'm making my way through the Disc with bright eyes.

My first book was The Wee Free Men. How about all of you?

Thud! was the first English book I bought with my own money. Must have read it four or five times by now. I never read books more than once.

For me it was "Mort". I never read much at all until i encountered the Disc, thanks to my brother. Now I hold no series closer to my heart.

Except maybe Pokémon. 

post-29013-0-89916200-1448058938_thumb.jpg

I only had a chance to read a couple of Mr. Pratchett's books before he passed, but in the time since then, I've found a kindred spirit in him.

He had a way of making the fantastic mundane, and the mundane fantastic. His writing have buoyed my spirits in low times, and given me much help in figuring out who I am.

I barely knew him while he lived, but he inspired me to be more than I was.

RIP.

Not sure why this was bumped, but i'm still very sad about this; Terry Pratchett wrote some really good books in his time, some of them among my favorites. I still miss him.

Because great people shall not be forgotten and fall into the void of nothingness. And Pratchett for sure won't be, for a long long time, since he left a wonderful legacy behind himself.

I cared when he died, I care today. I will care tomorrow and every other day after tomorrow. And I know you will too.

That's why it was bumped~ <3