Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Listening to your own voice

PoisonClaw

125 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like the sound of your own voice?

• Yes
    • No

How do you feel anytime you listen to a recording of your own voice? Do you think it sounds fine or is it possibly the most annoying sound you've ever heard?

I've had to record myself several times for assignments and I've come to realize I can't stand listening to a recording of myself. Generally it falls under "Do I really sound like that?" and "Wow...I sound awful."

In fact, Andrea Libman said in an interview a while back that she isn't very fond of hearing her own voice repeated back to her. I wonder if the same goes for other voice actors as well.   

• Brohoof 1

Well, i've had that feel before, but having done it so many times for assignments or just plain sillyness i've gotten kinda used to it. Huh, getting used to your own voice... Anyway, mostly of what i think nowadays when i hear my own voice repeated to me is more like: "Do i really sound that deep?". Hearing the light voice of a kid in your head and then somehow hearing the deep voice of a 15-16 year old once recorded feels really weird, and i havent really gotten to used to it. 

Edited by Lord Bradley

From what I've heard from most people, your voice will generally sound fairly weird when you first hear it.
Pretty much in the same boat, I don't HATE it, but on replaying it it doesn't sound too good >.<

Sort of half and half really.

Edited by Aleh
  • Brohoof 1

I do singing, sometimes with mics, and recording, and stuff. I was part of a good choral CD a while back actually.

Honestly, it depends what I'm doing, and what the mic is like. If its a good one, (for singing that is) and I know the song well, I like the sound of my voice. I sound awesome :3

However, if I'm just speaking / don't know the song well / bad hardware, I really don't like the sound of my voice. Its just relient on factors xD

• Brohoof 1

Most of the time when I hear my voice I actually can listen to it whitout too much shame, I even found it funny lol

However, when I used to be younger I remember that sometimes I was really not proud of my voice when I watch videos of me speaking.

I've had to listen to myself quite a bit. For most of my life I just didn't think I sounded like I imagined. Then not long after high school I was a normal guest on a podcast for Madden NFL league and quickly got use it. After podcast and constant family videos I've gotten satisfied and comfortable hearing my own voice.

There's actually a reason for this. You hear your own voice from inside your own head, meaning there are more low frequency vibrations to your voice when you hear yourself speaking. This causes you to feel like your voice is deeper in texture and heavier on the bass. When you hear a recording of your voice, however, these low frequency vibrations aren't present and so you usually sound much higher pitch and thinner in texture than what you perceive your voice to sound like. The result is that nearly everyone hates their voice.

• Brohoof 3

I used to cringe at the sound of my own voice, but after listening to it a whole bunch (Since I do YouTube) I've grown to like my speaking voice. Though, I'm still crippled by the thought of people thinking I'm too young.

• Brohoof 1

I love the sound of my voice, but it's one of a grand total of like 2 physical qualities I actually like about myself. I'm not tall, I'm ugly as fuck, and I'm socially retarded, but I have a deep voice so with enough therapy and practice scraping myself through life I can pretend I'm confident and happy and get by.

• Brohoof 3

It's surprising to listen to your voice, so I understand why the majority voted "no".

Personally I'm fine with my voice...

Edited by Blobulle

Its because of the effect that occurs because you hear yourself through your sinuses. Other people only hear their ears (your voice, I mean) but you hear yours through your teeth, sinus cavities, skull, jaw etc. All that vibration vibrates the "hair like cells" in your inner ear causing the sound YOU hear to be.... distorted, in a way. Not the same as other people hear it

I used to downright despise it but after doing stupid music recordings for @Blue Moon, I eventually got used to it. Hearing yourself badly rap the rap parts of 'Clint Eastwood' by Gorillaz makes you care a lot less.

Besides it's relatively rare for me to talk in the presence of others, so it's actually a decent amount of days, weeks, or even months before a close friend hears my voice. I just don't care, there's way worse stuff for me to be concerned about myself (looks, different personalities, mental disorders, fear of other humans) than how something I barely use sounds to myself and to others.

• Brohoof 2

I used to downright despise it but after doing stupid music recordings for @Blue Moon, I eventually got used to it. Hearing yourself badly rap the rap parts of 'Clint Eastwood' by Gorillaz makes you care a lot less.

Besides it's relatively rare for me to talk in the presence of others, so it's actually a decent amount of days, weeks, or even months before a close friend hears my voice. I just don't care, there's way worse stuff for me to be concerned about myself (looks, different personalities, mental disorders, fear of other humans) than how something I barely use sounds to myself and to others.

:P

Feel Good Inc. can have that effect too.

• Brohoof 1

Hearing my voice recorded makes my eyes water.  It also makes me want to smash the playback device to pieces.  I was going to post the clip from Bad Santa of Willie throwing his alarm clock, but I thought it might be a little iffy for pg-13.

I really wish I had Steve Blum's voice.

• Brohoof 2

I have seriously considered taking a vow of silence before- that, is how badly I think of my voice. Though it seems to be fine to the people I've shared it with, somehow  :ooh:

Oh gosh, no.

No no no no no. 

I think I sound really great, to myself.

But I hear how I really sound, recorded voice, and nope. I feel sorry for everyone I ever talk to xD I have such a horrid southern accent. I draw out my words Dx ugg. Not cute at all.

• Brohoof 1