Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dragons and Aging

Psycho Warp

I've always wondered exactly how the dragons in this show age. I have a theory though. I would think that the dragons can age voluntarily.

Crazy right? 

It seems that their age is solely based on how greedy they are. So if Spike, for example, wants to be a certain age or height, he might need to find a way to stop himself from being selfish at a certain point in time. Difficult but possible. Anyway, that's what I personally think. What about you guys?

• Brohoof 1

That's actually pretty interesting. Like the greedier they get the more they turn into giant scary dragon when they get further and further from being capable of Charitable acts. That's cool and tragic and all kinds of cool.

• Brohoof 1

@@Psycho Warp

Just letting you know that as your topic deals with an aspect of the show, I have moved it to Show Discussion. Please remember that show and lore-related topics go here.

Thanks. :)

I always thought they were immortal, and just stop aging when they reach physical maturity, like elves, basically.  I kind of thought the greed thing was just a premature aging thing, but if Spike waits several hundred years, he'll get there without being a jerk.  Yours is an interesting theory, OP, but it would make me sad to think that Spike's options are be a baby forever or turn into a complete douche.  I'd like to think he'll grow up one day and be a mighty dragon.  I'd love to see that in a spin-off movie.

• Brohoof 1

"Dragon Quest" and "Secret of My Excess" both did a poor job explaining this and made many unfortunately negative implications regarding how dragons age.

It's all up to headcanons at this point, but the best possible solution I've come up with to avoid robbing Spike of a future by saying he'll stay a baby forever is that dragons age slowly and non-greedy adult dragons will likely grow to a size roughly equivalent to an adult human in a much longer timespan than it takes a pony to grow up. It's also in my headcanon that this show doesn't tell us this because it's mainly focused on the ponies, and they apparently know little to nothing about dragons. I'm not normally big on headcanons, but I think this would be the best possible solution to reconcile everything those two episodes may have done wrong.

• Brohoof 2

I've always wondered exactly how the dragons in this show age. I have a theory though. I would think that the dragons can age voluntarily.

Crazy right? 

It seems that their age is solely based on how greedy they are. So if Spike, for example, wants to be a certain age or height, he might need to find a way to stop himself from being selfish at a certain point in time. Difficult but possible. Anyway, that's what I personally think. What about you guys?

That's actually pretty interesting. Like the greedier they get the more they turn into giant scary dragon when they get further and further from being capable of Charitable acts. That's cool and tragic and all kinds of cool.

It.... actually makes sense.

If that's right, dragons in Equestria are really weird. :/

Personally, I'd prefer they age just like every other creature in Equestria....

But...

It's all up to headcanons at this point, but the best possible solution I've come up with to avoid robbing Spike of a future by saying he'll stay a baby forever is that dragons age slowly and non-greedy adult dragons will likely grow to a size roughly equivalent to an adult human in a much longer timespan than it takes a pony to grow up.

Maybe you're right. :)

So the dragons in Dragon Quest are adults?

Edited by Blobulle

Maybe you're right. :)

So the dragons in Dragon Quest are adults?

The episode specifically says they're adolescent, and given their behavior, they may be more inclined to the greed method of growth.

I go based on fanart that depicts an older Spike.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking as an older citizen myself, male teens can be pretty damn obnoxious.  IMO, it is the same w dragons & they age out of their jerk phase.  You will notice, it is the teen dragons in Dragon Quest that are out wrecking Phoenix eggs & tormenting Spike.  Compare this w the dragon in Dragonshy.

Most intelligent animals have a large part of their behavior being learned.   Being raised by ponies, Spike has learned to be a pony not a dragon.  Adult dragons probably teach their kids (at least by example) how to handle a horde without loosing it.  Spike is going to have some problems when he gets older.