Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2D game engines

pocketshotgun

Hello!

So I have been experimenting with 3D game engines for a while and have been wanting to move into learning to make / messing around with and never finishing 2D games because I overall prefer the simplicity of some 2D games and their art style and just find it more fun to play with, so, my question is pretty simple:

Do you know of any good 2D game engines?

By this I mean top down, sidescrolling, or pseudo 3D any or all.

I have looked at programs like construct, and they don't really seem to be right for me, I prefer to be able to write the code myself, as apposed to having it pretty much all built for you because I think it allows for a more diverse enviroment.

Possibly important info:

I know a fair bit of programming, enough to get by and learn in most engines

I know the overall development that goes into a game as I have made a few before myself.

Anyway, Thanks for coming here at all, I would really love to hear your replies.

Thanks!

Edited by pocketshotgun
  • Brohoof 1

http://unity3d.com/pages/2d-power

Looks like you could use Unity to do it. Though like  most other game engines you need to pay for it.

I have tried unity, it is a good engine with lots of potential but although it has 2D capabilities, it is still primarily and natively a 3D engine. If I were to use unity, it would have to be once it was updated alot and made more natural for 2D games.

Thanks for the input though!

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is PyGame, which is a set of python modules made to help 2D game development. Sounds just like what you are looking for, with the 'coding it yourself' thing you want.

Edited by Rainfall Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is PyGame

Some 2D engines I know of are Gamemaker (used a lot for side-scrollers) and Clickteam Fusion. The Unreal Engine 4 also supports 2D Side-Scrolling, and the engine is free.

Looks like you could use Unity to do it.

Thanks for the help in your replies, some of these engines I already knew about and some I did not, regardless now I have more options to consider. So thank you for your help!

Hello!

So I have been experimenting with 3D game engines for a while and have been wanting to move into learning to make / messing around with and never finishing 2D games because I overall prefer the simplicity of some 2D games and their art style and just find it more fun to play with, so, my question is pretty simple:

Do you know of any good 2D game engines?

By this I mean top down, sidescrolling, or pseudo 3D any or all.

I have looked at programs like construct, and they don't really seem to be right for me, I prefer to be able to write the code myself, as apposed to having it pretty much all built for you because I think it allows for a more diverse enviroment.

Possibly important info:

I know a fair bit of programming, enough to get by and learn in most engines

I know the overall development that goes into a game as I have made a few before myself.

Anyway, Thanks for coming here at all, I would really love to hear your replies.

Thanks!

Hello pocketshotgun. 

Do you know any C?

You've taken a look at my platformer before (the thread with the link is in my signature).  It's probably not what you were looking for, but if you have a use for any of my source code from my platformer, feel free to use it.  I've included the source code in the JAR files.

Hello pocketshotgun. 

Do you know any C?

I know some C++ but I am still learning.

You've taken a look at my platformer before (the thread with the link is in my signature).  It's probably not what you were looking for, but if you have a use for any of my source code from my platformer, feel free to use it.  I've included the source code in the JAR files.

I'll take a look at it, although it is probably not exactly what I am looking for. Thanks though.

I'll take a look at it, although it is probably not exactly what I am looking for. Thanks though.

Thanks.  If you notice anything glaringly user-un-friendly about the level editor I included with it, please let me know---I haven't gotten any feedback about the editor since I put this out there.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. For a bigger project, I would definitely recommend a C/C++ based engine but for smaller projects, engines based on high-level languages like LUA can be pretty effective.

I've already done a few things using this engine in the past : https://love2d.org/

It's super easy to use if you have some LUA knowledge, but anyway, LUA is anything but a hard language.

Edited by ThunderQuartz

• 4 months later...

I would recommend RMXP if you were interesting in making 2D RPGs because I have used in personally and it is an amazing program that can be obtained through steam.  However, it seems more like you want to make an action side scroller, and I am not certain what would be ideal for that.

• 4 weeks later...