Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Official Pokémon Thread

Odyssey

So far, the only time I completed my Pokedex was in Pokemon Red.

I'll admit, I used the Mew glitch to obtain some unobtainable Pokemon, like Mew, for example.

Heck, I even caught MissingNo., because it's one of my favorite Pokemon. I always got interested in it.

So I'm currently doing a mono-water run in Pokemon Omega Ruby and this whole time I've just been thinking, "this is supposed to be difficult?"

The biggest challenge is having a super underleveled wingull and tentacool, and even then tentacool is doing an amazing job as is.

So I'm currently doing a mono-water run in Pokemon Omega Ruby and this whole time I've just been thinking, "this is supposed to be difficult?"

The biggest challenge is having a super underleveled wingull and tentacool, and even then tentacool is doing an amazing job as is.

Just wait until you meet the first Milotic.

Wait, there's still a water gym right? Or is it an ice gym? I'm losing my Pokemon knowledge by the minute! :(

Yeah, Wallace at the eighth gym uses water types. You should be ok though with your tentacool. It's a relatively bulky water type with access to some pretty powerful poison attacks.

Yeah, Wallace at the eighth gym uses water types. You should be ok though with your tentacool. It's a relatively bulky water type with access to some pretty powerful poison attacks.

Alright, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Thank you for the help Celtore <3

So this whole mono water run went from really easy to really hard with just one Slaking at Norman's gym. Although it did give me the respect for Azumarill that it deserved after all the hate I've given it throughout the game.

Edited by Twi the Totodile
  • Brohoof 1

Cover of the next issue of Nintendo Force Magazine is gonna be a tribute to Iwata, who was a very influential man when it came to Pokémon surviving as a franchise. Here's a speedpainting of said cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcu70azHtaM

The guy got Ken Sugimori's art style down so well. It seriously looks like official artwork from the 1996 - 2000 era.

• Brohoof 1

So this whole mono water run went from really easy to really hard with just one Slaking at Norman's gym. Although it did give me the respect for Azumarill that it deserved after all the hate I've given it throughout the game.

That freaking slacking ended my nuzlocke emerald run. It's a rough spot, it has crazy stats, a really high level and there aren't really that many decent places to grind. I might try that run again...

That freaking slacking ended my nuzlocke emerald run. It's a rough spot, it has crazy stats, a really high level and there aren't really that many decent places to grind. I might try that run again...

Did you know that Slaking has the same BST as Groudon, Kyogre and Regigigas? 670, the only non-legendary, non-Mega Evolved Pokémon with a base stat total of over 600. It's a force to be reckoned with if used right.

Cover of the next issue of Nintendo Force Magazine is gonna be a tribute to Iwata, who was a very influential man when it came to Pokémon surviving as a franchise. Here's a speedpainting of said cover.

The guy got Ken Sugimori's art style down so well. It seriously looks like official artwork from the 1996 - 2000 era.

It still is really heartbreaking to know that Iwata has passed away. I'm really thankful for him for making Pokémon the amazing franchise it is today, but it does make me wonder what will happen to it without him around.

That's a wonderful speedpaint. It captures the original Sugimori art style perfectly.

It still is really heartbreaking to know that Iwata has passed away. I'm really thankful for him for making Pokémon the amazing franchise it is today, but it does make me wonder what will happen to it without him around.

That's a wonderful speedpaint. It captures the original Sugimori art style perfectly.

Most likely Pokémon would have never made it past gen II. While gen I sold extremely well, Nintendo was still not sold on the concept, mostly due to how broken the game's mechanics were as Game Freak didn't have a particularly skilled programming team back then. So, since Gold and Silver were to be the final fantasy (ehehe, it's funny because that too was meant to be a swan song game that turned out to be a huge success) for Pokémon, they wanted to give players one last chance to visit Kanto, as a way of saying goodbye. However, Game Freak still didn't have good programmers, and could barely fit in another city to the existing code after completing Johto.

Nintendo was just about to pull the plug on the project when Iwata stepped in. Even during the Earthbound days, of which he was the lead programmer for, Nintendo and their first and second parties valued Iwata's business and leadership skills more than they did his programming skills, but he still worked on programming projects as needed (such as Earthbound, Pokémon Gold and Silver, Pokémon Stadium and Super Smash Bros. Melee) since he was damn good at it. Seriously, after reading his feats as a programmer it's a bit hard to believe the guy was actually mortal, just as all of us are. So, anyway, Iwata cleaned up and compressed the code down from 2MB to 1MB using an algorithm he created himself, fixed a majority of the bugs lingering over from generation I and implemented real-time decompression into the game's code, and got it to run as well as the first games on the same hardware with no compression. So, without him, generation II wouldn't have had Kanto, nor would it have had that epic battle with Red at the top of Mt. Silver as the actual final boss... and Gold and Silver wouldn't have had the same fate as Final Fantasy befall it: be designed to be the swan song game for something, but turn into a massive success.

Gold and Silver were meant to be the last two Pokémon games, and it shows, even as early as the title screen. Without Satoru "200 programmers in one man" Iwata, they would have been.

• Brohoof 1

One thing I hate about competitive is the fact that there's no diversity.

People always use Landorus, Kangaskhan, Cresselia, and few other Pokemon. There's almost no diversity, it's annoying.

Pokemon like Landorus, Kangaskhan, and the others that are common in competitive play are used so often for a reason. Whether it be high base stats, good typing, a wide movepool, a great ability, or a combination of any of them, they all have something that let's them outclass the other Pokemon that try to fill their role. For example, I could use a Mega Lopunny on my team for a high attack based mega, but Mega Kangaskhan does the same thing with less weaknesses and a much better ability in Parental Bond, so mega lopunny is nothing more than a wasted mega slot. Sure you could use some of the less powerful Pokemon if you have the proper team support, but unless you have enough knowledge to make those Pokemon work, your best chance of winning is by using the strongest Pokemon available.

If you don't feel like reading all of that, I'm basically saying they're used so much because they make it hard to lose.

Edited by Twi the Totodile

One thing I hate about competitive is the fact that there's no diversity.

People always use Landorus, Kangaskhan, Cresselia, and few other Pokemon. There's almost no diversity, it's annoying.

It's crap like that is why I quit competitive a year ago. That and Mega Metagross.

I hope there is a 'Z'. I'm wanting to play another Pokemon game... It would be the first third version (or any version beyond one) that I've gotten since Crystal.

I'm almost done training my team, now.

I also managed to catch Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf, I'll get Dialga soon.

I wasted all my money on Ultra Balls.

Edited by Caleb Urn

Zygarde's new forms look absolutely silly in my eyes. I mean, it's what they are, Game Freak saw something unique in those designs and green lit them, good for them! But I still can't get over how ridiculous the idea is. Especially the 10% form. How can a canine-esque creature turn into a serpentine one?

Oh well, here's hoping that Pokémon Z will come out next year. I would love to have one more year of Generation VI instead of skipping to the next generation.

Edited by Odyssey