Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Official Pokémon Thread

Odyssey

Anypony else here got Pokken Tournament? I got it about a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying it.

I gotta say, unlike Tekken itself, the controls and move lists in Pokken Tournament are easy to remember. Thank Celestia there is a Tutorial for us as well. If that wasn't in there, newcomers would have a difficult time learning how to play. I'm not familiar with the original Tekken series since the only game I got back then was Tekken 2 on the PS1.

Might do some Online Play later on but first, I gotta get through the ranks with Lucario.

I got it on release day and I am loving it a ton. I'm not really a fan of Tekken or fighting games in general, but this is one I can definitely make an exception for.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how many people watch this channel, but what would you say about a Timid Froslass with the Snow Cloak ability and the moveset Draining Kiss (may swap it out with Frost Breath or Ice Beam later), Shadow Ball, Destiny Bond, and Hail? I also Super Trained it in Speed and Attack.

I don't know how many people watch this channel, but what would you say about a Timid Froslass with the Snow Cloak ability and the moveset Draining Kiss (may swap it out with Frost Breath or Ice Beam later), Shadow Ball, Destiny Bond, and Hail? I also Super Trained it in Speed and Attack.

Ev Training Froslass in Sp.Atk and Speed is the better option because the Timid nature decreases the Attack stat. If you did EV Train your Pokemon in Attack then I'd suggest using either a Reset Bag or some Kelpsy Berries.

I think for all us Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon explorers, we should create a section where we bronies rescue each other in dungeons...if there isn't one already What do you all think? 

• Brohoof 1

Ev Training Froslass in Sp.Atk and Speed is the better option because the Timid nature decreases the Attack stat. If you did EV Train your Pokemon in Attack then I'd suggest using either a Reset Bag or some Kelpsy Berries.

Ok. I trained all of my Pokemon in what they excel at, and what what they lacked at (there are two highlighted stats, which I now see is based on their nature.) I did this with my entire team I'm training, so would that mean I would have to start the Super Training process over from the beginning?

Other team member stats: 

Bold Lairon-Defense & Attack

Naughty Luxray-Attack & Sp.Def

Hasty Vibrava-Speed & Defense

Naughty Gallade- Attack & Sp.Def

Adamant Azumarill- HP & Sp.Atk

I'm not so well versed in EV training, the variant of EV training (Super Training) and all that.

Ok. I trained all of my Pokemon in what they excel at, and what what they lacked at (there are two highlighted stats, which I now see is based on their nature.) I did this with my entire team I'm training, so would that mean I would have to start the Super Training process over from the beginning?

Other team member stats: 

Bold Lairon-Defense & Attack

Naughty Luxray-Attack & Sp.Def

Hasty Vibrava-Speed & Defense

Naughty Gallade- Attack & Sp.Def

Adamant Azumarill- HP & Sp.Atk

I'm not so well versed in EV training, the variant of EV training (Super Training) and all that.

I see. Well, if there are any EV's on a Pokemon's unecessary stats, the best bet is to reset and start the Super Training process all over again. Some Pokemon do not require max (252) EV's on a certain stat so you need to keep track on how many EV's are on your Pokemon.

Another thing to mention is Azumarill has a low base of Sp.Atk. If it has the ability Huge Power, you should EV train it's Attack stat as it can be an offensive powerhouse.

• Brohoof 1

I see. Well, if there are any EV's on a Pokemon's unecessary stats, the best bet is to reset and start the Super Training process all over again. Some Pokemon do not require max (252) EV's on a certain stat so you need to keep track on how many EV's are on your Pokemon.
Well that's truly a bummer, but it's time to get back to work. 

I know but we all live and learn nowadays. It's alright. Nopony gets it perfect the first time.

• Brohoof 1

I made the same mistake when I first got back into Pokemon in Gen 5. The last gen I had played was 3, with the R/B remakes. I wasn't used to the idea that every attack was either physical or special, so imagine my surprise when my Samurott sucked because I had focused on Sp. Attack instead of Attack. (Water was special pre-split)

Am I the only person who think these "mega evolutions" are stupid? They look rather weird to me and I don't like that legendaries are able to evolve.. That just shouldn't happen.

I like them, they add a new layer to the game that makes for more room in the meta game, and makes previously useless, or unappealing Pokemon better, it also makes it more fun, at least in my opinion. 

Plus, Legendary Mega Evolution is banned in just about every tournament style competition. (Outside of the less OP ones, like Diancie, but that's mostly because Diancie exists to be a mega evolver).  

They made a lot of Pokemon viable with it as well, it used to be that you couldn't use Charizard in a lot of battles against players because of his 4x weakness to Rock, which is made worse with the prevalence of Stealth Rock in the meta game, but with Mega Evolving, Charizard becomes a frigging power house. With either Charizard X that makes him into a Dragon/Fire, with the awesome Tough Claws Ability and boosted attack, or Charizard Y, that gets boosted Special Attack and gives the Drought Ability, allowing one turn Solar Beams, and horrifically overpowered fire moves like Heat Wave and Overheat or just plain old Fire Blast. 

I will admit that some of them are ridiculous, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon being main examples here, but most of them can be beaten with simple tactics. 

Mega Mewtwo X? 

I'd like you to meet my best friend, it's called the Fairy Typing! Have fun in your Pokeball! 

Mega Mewtwo Y? 

Lol, Dark types, Mega Sableye, Mega Metagross, Mega Gengar, and Volcarona want a word with you. 

A lot of the broken ones are actually the non legendary Mega Evolvers. Kangaskhan in Mega form is a huge pain. Parental Bond makes you have to suffer through twice as many hits, the second one at 50% power. STAB Fake Out, Double Earthquake, Power up Punch (Which gives two attack stages), Crunch (double the flinch chance!), and it's just broken. Mega Gengar is also pretty beast as well. 

When did you become a fan?:

I don't remember exactly. I was just very into RPGs at the time and since my sister used to like Pokémon when she was younger I decided to try Pokémon Diamond out, and I fell in love with it!

What do you like most about the series?:

I love the freedom to explore and the insane levels of party customization. There are very few RPGs that give you so many team possibilities and different styles of playing. You can pick tanks, sweepers, fragile speedsters, etc.,  various types, various abilities, various designs...

Who is your favourite Pokémon?:

Magneton and Magnezone. I don't know what this says about me, but I find them cute and they're also awesome sweepers.

Who is your favourite human character?:

Either Cynthia or N. I may or may not have crushes on them :orly:

What is your favourite game?:

Pokémon Emerald because of the story, amazing tropical region, the best generation for pokémon designs in my opinion and Battle Frontier. Also love Pokémon Diamond and Fire Red for nostalgic reasons.

Do you like anything outside the games? (i.e., anime, manga, TCG, etc.):

Only the mangas. Not a fan of the anime, movies, TCG, etc. at all.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

When did you become a fan?: when did blue/red come out in the states?  probably within 9 months of that.

What do you like most about the series?: a relaxing outlet for creativity capable of consuming many hours of abnegation.  

Who is your favourite Pokémon?: bulbasaur...can't improve on the perfect cuteness

Who is your favourite human character?: Az...is he human?  he had the best story arc.

What is your favourite game?: X/Y...because Az.

Do you like anything outside the games?: I enjoy the stuff I see other people do, but I don't seek it out proactively

I like [megaevolutions], they add a new layer to the game that makes for more room in the meta game, and makes previously useless, or unappealing Pokemon better, it also makes it more fun, at least in my opinion. 

I like that you can only megaevolve one pokemon per battle, forcing you to make an interesting decision.  if you could megaevolve everything with a stone, it would just be a lame time suck.  

Edited by weesh

When did you become a fan?: I was a little late jumping on the Pokemon train, I became a fan a few weeks after Gold and Silver came out in America. 

What do you like most about the series?: At first, I enjoyed the cool looking Pokemon (Charizard was my favorite for a long time), over time however, it was more for the variety and the pure unadulterated fun of it. 

Who is your favourite Pokémon?:  Oh that's hard, Either Zorua, because adorable AND awesome looking, or Scizor because he made Scyther even cooler. 

Who is your favourite human character?: In the games: Steven Stone. He's just cool. The first truly multi-purpose champion, goes around studying ancient history, and he's the strongest trainer in the Pokemon League. Also, the guy gives you a Beldum, and I love Metagross. Anime: Probably Misty, it's just something about her, she's a tom boy, a gym leader, and for a while she was the only girl that traveled with Ash that WASN'T a Pokemon Coordinator or something like it. 

What is your favourite game?:  Pokemon White, It was the game that reminded me why I love Pokemon, I didn't really like Generation 4 except for the Gen 2 remakes, and even then I didn't get those until after I got Pokemon White, it's also the one that introduced me to competitive Pokemon battling. 

Do you like anything outside the games?: I have been trying to get back into the anime, I love the Indigo Plateau series, and I liked what I saw of Advanced Generation, I figured it was only fair I give it another try. 

I also have been planning a Pokemon fan fiction, but ponies takes priority. 

• Brohoof 1

Little help, someone?

Found my old GBA with Pkmn Ruby. Problem is, the internal battery has run dry

I wnt a clefairy, but know they only occur at night

But looking at bulbedia says clefairy are only obtained in that gen through trading

Trading with an in game trainer?

Trading from another region?

Are clefairy not in Ruby (or emerald) at all?

I don't remember exactly. I was just very into RPGs at the time and since my sister used to like Pokémon when she was younger I decided to try Pokémon Diamond out, and I fell in love with it!

I love the freedom to explore and the insane levels of party customization. There are very few RPGs that give you so many team possibilities and different styles of playing. You can pick tanks, sweepers, fragile speedsters, etc.,  various types, various abilities, various designs...

Who is your favourite Pokémon?:

Magneton and Magnezone. I don't know what this says about me, but I find them cute and they're also awesome sweepers.

Who is your favourite human character?:

Either Cynthia or N. I may or may not have crushes on them :orly:

What is your favourite game?:

Pokémon Emerald because of the story, amazing tropical region, the best generation for pokémon designs in my opinion and Battle Frontier. Also love Pokémon Diamond and Fire Red for nostalgic reasons.

Only the mangas. Not a fan of the anime, movies, TCG, etc. at all.

I became a fan when I was at my kids school after my brother showed me what it was all about.

The Pokemon games. Seriously. I also like there is creativity involved when it comes to making Pokemon teams.

Who is your favorite Pokemon?:

Gallade. I'm so glad he has a Mega Evolution.

Who is your favorite human character?:

I dunno...If I want to choose one...I'd choose Wally.

What is your favorite game?:

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire so far.

I do like some bits of anime.

• Brohoof 3

I've been a huge fan of the Pokemon franchise since 2010. My first game was Pokemon HeartGold on my Nintendo DS Lite. It took me a while to complete it, but I'm glad I finished it. ^_^ My next game was Pokemon Black, which i'm still trying to beat, then I got Pokemon X, which I also completed. :D 

I'm also a collector of the Pokemon Trading Cards game. I have two tins on them. :)

My favourite Pokemon would be Keldeo, cause, you know, he's a freakin' pony. XD

• Brohoof 1

Little help, someone?

Found my old GBA with Pkmn Ruby. Problem is, the internal battery has run dry

I wnt a clefairy, but know they only occur at night

But looking at bulbedia says clefairy are only obtained in that gen through trading

Trading with an in game trainer?

Trading from another region?

Are clefairy not in Ruby (or emerald) at all?

Clefairy isn't in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, you can only catch one in Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green. 

My favourite Pokemon would be Keldeo, cause, you know, he's a freakin' pony. XD

Why didn't I think of him when I was listing mine!?

I just don't really use him all the much. He's cool and all, but he just gets overlooked from me for same reason.  

• Brohoof 1

When did you become a fan?: When I was very little.

What do you like most about the series?: The world it takes place in. Not just because of all the pokemon themselves but the world has so much to offer. Seriously you have advanced technology such as matter to energy conversion or advanced artificial intelligence existing alongside a multitude of supernatural phenomenon.

The series is also quite psychologically revealing to those who directly play it. How you treat your pokemon, how you view them, what you do with them, which ones you capture, how many, completing the pokedex, breeding pokemon, beating the gym league; it all can say a lot about how the player thinks and what their personality may be like.

Who is your favourite Pokémon?: Oh Christ, out of ALL 721 (and counting) of them?! I will say that I love fighting types as a martial artist IRL but if I had to pick just one it would be Gallade. His description describes him as both a master of swordplay and courtesy. He's a pokemon that I would work with quite naturally if that is the case.

Who is your favourite human character?: Ash, you thick headed, short tempered, romantically clueless, selfless, courageous, heroic, magnificent bastard, Ketchum. (You think below is a better description? I wrote an essay on my complicated feelings for Mr. perpetual 10 year old. I'm saving you time.)

From the games: Probably Lance. Silver was my first game of the franchise that I actually beat and got anywhere with. (Got stuck on Yellow version.) Having met Lance for the first time in that game it was cool to not only meet a member of the Elite Four outside of actually battling them, which I basically never do, but have him tag along and basically be a supporting character in my efforts. Or maybe it's the other way around, hey I don't mind playing sidekick to a badass. Speaking of badass, he shows Team Rocket he's not screwing around by siccing his Dragonite on the grunts themselves! I mean it may seem not quite as impressive given that they basically can't defend themselves, but I consider it impressive mainly because I never thought anyone would do that, and by the grunt's reactions they probably thought the same thing.

(Lastly the protagonist of my favorite game.)

What is your favourite game?: Ehhhh honestly the main games are fun but kind of interchangeable to me, and I'm the guy who likes the story above all else. Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but anything I say I love about Silver version could equally apply to White or X.

I will say I loved Black and White because it was cool to see the Pokemon world's version of my beloved country but if I were to be completely honest I would say that my favorite game is actually Pokemon Coliseum. Sure it pretty much functioned like a main game just in 3D, but it changed juuuust enough to be its own animal. Orre, which coincidentally is also a counterpart to another part of my own, specifically the Mojave dessert, is an intense wild west styled frontier. Wes is a very different kind of protagonist, he's not some kid or young man who sets out with a dream in his eye, he's an ex-gangster who tenders his resignation by stealing his crew's secret weapon and blowing up their shit! In short, he's a badass.

Do you like anything outside the games?: The show is what introduced me to the whole thing and will always hold a special place in my heart but I'm not without my criticisms for it. The movies are hit or miss, but they are never boring.